Stem Support for Newly Cracked Beans... Ideas?

• Thread starter Pandaman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Or! You could try just leaving them alone and watching them straighten out all on their own, just because they can/will.

Try growing some seedling starts under the sun. I guarantee you will find that they do exactly this. Some will list over to one side, others will stay short, others yet will stretch and stretch straight up as though they're not getting enough light.

Two months later you won't be able to tell who was who. ;)

G

guanoman

i always used drinking straws cut at 3-5 inches and split down the middle. easy to apply and remove. just push em down in your medium abit for support. they will also enhance root nodules so when you transplant you'll be allowed to set them an inch or to deeper. once your stems are stronger, you can remove the straws harmlessly.outdoors, you can just leave them on and the stem will do the removal for you.good luck

P

pjmoner

have u tried using protek silica product i was having the same prob and a buddy of mine suggested this i used it the next go round and noticed a good improvement

W

weedfarm

seedlings usually seem to be lanky. Keeping the light close and propping them up with toothpicks, nails, paper clips, metal twist ties, etc all work great. Once vegging, you should not have a problem with weak stalks, especially at 10". I have never had to prop up plants until they are weeks into flower. I have flipped plants from 3" (SOG), up to 36"

Are they real tall and stretchy?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Or! You could try just leaving them alone and watching them straighten out all on their own, just because they can/will.

Try growing some seedling starts under the sun. I guarantee you will find that they do exactly this. Some will list over to one side, others will stay short, others yet will stretch and stretch straight up as though they're not getting enough light.

Two months later you won't be able to tell who was who. ;)
:makeup

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

I'd listen to the maiden fellas. Trust me when I say she knows her shit. She's schooled me many times... including this thread. :sad0071:

Jack Stackman

Jack Stackman

Check out my thread for a SSSDH mom and/or dad! I use the DJ Short seedling method. After they pop you put them in 4" pots or beer cups. Fill the cup or pot half way, then when your beans get lanky and unsupported you top off the cup. This ensures a strong root system as the buried stalk will develop roots and help support the plant as it grows. I have pictures from seed to just prior to sexing. Check it out!

Cheers,
Crom

Thanks for the link, I needed that! I just lost 2, tryin to save 3 now using this method (they were already bent over tho. :( ).... Now I got some more sprouting with all the support they should need... :)

... Some say put the light closer, how close can I put a 1000w hps to seedlings? The light is about 3-4 feet above them now (6ft ceiling, light all the way up, the cups are sitting on upside down buckets.)...

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Thanks for the link, I needed that! I just lost 2, tryin to save 3 now using this method (they were already bent over tho. :( ).... Now I got some more sprouting with all the support they should need... :)

... Some say put the light closer, how close can I put a 1000w hps to seedlings? The light is about 3-4 feet above them now (6ft ceiling, light all the way up, the cups are sitting on upside down buckets.)...

Glad it helped you JS! Any reason your using an HPS instead of a MH or T5 or CFL? Just thinking that they don't need that much light that early on. I would think that your okay as long as the heat from the lamp isn't too hot for the seedings. Good luck!

Cheers,
Crom

Z

zonama

I agree with crombien211 about planting lower in cups and filling it in as they grow. Ive read some where that seeds have better female rates with like 4inches to start in but have never see any test done.

Melvan

Melvan

Check out my thread for a SSSDH mom and/or dad! I use the DJ Short seedling method. After they pop you put them in 4" pots or beer cups. Fill the cup or pot half way, then when your beans get lanky and unsupported you top off the cup. This ensures a strong root system as the buried stalk will develop roots and help support the plant as it grows. I have pictures from seed to just prior to sexing. Check it out!

Cheers,
Crom

My grandmother didn't know this method had a name, but she sure used it. She always started vegetable seeds in this manner, and when I was little I would help her plant hundreds of them, and then help her add soil as needed. I always just thought it was just the way it was done.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
I agree with crombien211 about planting lower in cups and filling it in as they grow. Ive read some where that seeds have better female rates with like 4inches to start in but have never see any test done.

Thanks zonama. I learned this technique from DJ Short's book- Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis-An Expert Breeder Shares his Secrets. I have tried it and I don't swear by it but it has worked great for me. So maybe I do lol. I trust expensive beans with this method so I respect it. Plus I have observed strong vigorous growth from seedlings raised this way. If your interested in this technique it's found in my signature-SSSDH run for a mamma...

Cheers,
Crom

Top Bottom