Stems and leaf veins turning red/purple...?

• Thread starter HomegrownOhighO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
This is happening to my veg plant too. I checked the soil pH yesterday and it was in-between 6.5-7.0. Any recommendations for PK spike?

All this jazz and no one’s asked the basics. If it’s happening in both tents I wonder what you temp is if it’s cold that will cause it however

It’s also very lightly genetic witch I think it is , unless you have a cold problem

I was with the first post till he recommended feeding them extra pk

Your plants got plenty pk going by the pics adding extra I think would have given you more problems.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
may be from the fact Dr pnw try to diagnose an issue when most prolly there's none ...

dunno if you read the article i linked but purple stem can happen for a wide range of reasons that in MOST case you don't need to worry about

your plant looks perfectly fine as is, i wouldn't change anything for now ....
And this post says it all.

At 8 weeks and no pre flowering I agree it might be best to flip it
8 weeks with no female pre flowering is iffy hope you didn’t end up with a male

Last edited:
H

HomegrownOhighO

8 weeks and not flowering, then there is chance this one might be a photoperiod, it could happen once in a while due to how much backcrossing is involved in stabilizing the auto trait.
Note, the veg was the one most affected and stunted at first. Would that set back the clock on her to go into flowering. How much longer should I let her veg? I have plenty of space. Maybe say switch her to 12/12 in the next week or so and see what happens?

H

HomegrownOhighO

Unless your plants are one of the F1 hybrids, then there is a chance that what you're growing is different from what you thought you purchased.
I'm not sure on that one. They are fast bud's beans and that is the extent that I know about them.

OldDogger

OldDogger

I'm not sure on that one. They are fast bud's beans and that is the extent that I know about them.
I don't mean to speak poorly of a breeder. I'm saying that unless you are growing an F1 hybrid, then the cross you're growing is just that - a cross. When two plants cross pollinate, the genetic variability from seed to seed can be immense. It is always possible that you have planted a seed with throwback genetics to an earlier generation. That could mean you ended up with a seed with the genetics of be a photoperiod.

Another way to think about it is to view the genetic transfer in another species, like humans. When two people have a number of children, their offspring are not identical. That's because the genetic contribution from each parent varies from child to child. It's why these DNA tests people do to determine ancestry can vary within a family. One sibling might show 80% German DNA, while another sibling might show 35% German dna. Crosses are highly variable.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Note, the veg was the one most affected and stunted at first. Would that set back the clock on her to go into flowering. How much longer should I let her veg? I have plenty of space. Maybe say switch her to 12/12 in the next week or so and see what happens?
Not with a automatic
Autos have a shelf life. They start flowering at a certain age usually between 2-4 weeks.
I have had some that haven’t flowered I’ve had to kickstart lowering the light to 18/6 on a couple I’ve had to put them in 12/12

Don’t brush aside the fact it may not be a “ true “ automatic

I get it You got some crazy advice and arguments happened I get it you may not trust the all advice given however there is some advice I would agree with.

Seriously for a auto to veg for 8 weeks means somethings up it may be a bad cross that isn’t a true auto
However the lack of pre flowers after 8 weeks is highly suss.

Fastbuds aren’t all that , yeah since they popped up I’ve seen some decent crosses that I will admit but there still new when it comes to breeding buying most of there stock from other breeders in clone forum and re working them is how these newer breeders mange to make a name in this massive market

Good luck bud either way

H

HomegrownOhighO

Not with a automatic
Autos have a shelf life. They start flowering at a certain age usually between 2-4 weeks.
I have had some that haven’t flowered I’ve had to kickstart lowering the light to 18/6 on a couple I’ve had to put them in 12/12

Don’t brush aside the fact it may not be a “ true “ automatic

I get it You got some crazy advice and arguments happened I get it you may not trust the all advice given however there is some advice I would agree with.

Seriously for a auto to veg for 8 weeks means somethings up it may be a bad cross that isn’t a true auto
However the lack of pre flowers after 8 weeks is highly suss.

Fastbuds aren’t all that , yeah since they popped up I’ve seen some decent crosses that I will admit but there still new when it comes to breeding buying most of there stock from other breeders in clone forum and re working them is how these newer breeders mange to make a name in this massive market

Good luck bud either way
Oh I am not dismissing it at all. And, I have heard this in other forums before too. Definitely seems more common than one might think. I also have been already running my lights at 18/6, seems to be what most people run so that's what I've done throughout the whole grow. Should it have been 24, this seems to be preference among growers.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Honestly, I am tired of spending funds on this grow. I know it's a costly investment with a great return but every damn time I turn a corner I need this or that.
Indoor growing is like that for the first few grows. I think much of my early spending was due to me learning. It gets better, but each grow will be different. It seems there are always new things to learn, and, as I see it, that's what makes growing a rewarding hobby.

About your plants... I'd advise just letting them grow. If they're autos, then they should be able to finish under 18/6 lighting. It's best not to tinker with them too much. Stay with the basics, making sure they have what they need.

Next time, I suggest growing photos. It's nice to control when they flower.

H

HomegrownOhighO

Indoor growing is like that for the first few grows. I think much of my early spending was due to me learning. It gets better, but each grow will be different. It seems there are always new things to learn, and, as I see it, that's what makes growing a rewarding hobby.

About your plants... I'd advise just letting them grow. If they're autos, then they should be able to finish under 18/6 lighting. It's best not to tinker with them too much. Stay with the basics, making sure they have what they need.

I think I will next time and I mean yeah once you got what you need, it's not bad. And yes, a lot of the unnecessary spending has been from learning errors but like you said, that's kind of what its all about. I was just looking for a quick turn around. Sick of paying overpriced state prices in Ohio for something I can now legally grow on my own. Waited 20 some odd years to be able to grow legally. Couldn't risk it with the kiddos.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Oh I am not dismissing it at all. And, I have heard this in other forums before too. Definitely seems more common than one might think. I also have been already running my lights at 18/6, seems to be what most people run so that's what I've done throughout the whole grow. Should it have been 24, this seems to be preference among growers.
18/6 is really a fem/regular light schedule. I have mine on 24/7 however it seems to be that 20/4 is used widely with automatics. 18/6 will suffice however you do lose a bit of veg time with autos. The more I hear ; the fact it’s been on 18/6 the more makes me think it definitely isn’t a true automatic.

Must admit what conecers me most is the lack of pre flowers that’s not a good sign not after 8 weeks

Plants tent to show there sex if there female around 4-6 weeks I seriously do wonder if you didn’t get a regular seed that is male , it just doesn’t make sense for it not to be showing any pistals otherwise.

I honestly hope I’m wrong and it’s female. Tbh I’d rather be wrong and see some Beautiful buds forum. 🙂

the rrock

the rrock

I have a certain strain(made of honor) ive been running for past 5-6 years,purple veins consistantly each grow. It has turned out to be one of my recent holy grails.Been using this breeders work for twenty years and have found three holy grail strains. These similars to the killer strains from sensi back in the early 80s(hindu kush and NL5xHaze). I started my journey in 1977 and have seen many many plants with completely purple stalks ,stems and veins,just no purple leaves(before 1990) unless from cold climate outdoors.my advice would be dont grow autos and dont believe 90% of the advice doled out here.Patience and experience key to successful gardening.

H

HomegrownOhighO

18/6 is really a fem/regular light schedule. I have mine on 24/7 however it seems to be that 20/4 is used widely with automatics. 18/6 will suffice however you do lose a bit of veg time with autos. The more I hear ; the fact it’s been on 18/6 the more makes me think it definitely isn’t a true automatic.

Must admit what conecers me most is the lack of pre flowers that’s not a good sign not after 8 weeks

Plants tent to show there sex if there female around 4-6 weeks I seriously do wonder if you didn’t get a regular seed that is male , it just doesn’t make sense for it not to be showing any pistals otherwise.

I honestly hope I’m wrong and it’s female. Tbh I’d rather be wrong and see some Beautiful buds forum. 🙂
I think I'm going to try to flip it today and see what happens.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I think I will next time and I mean yeah once you got what you need, it's not bad. And yes, a lot of the unnecessary spending has been from learning errors but like you said, that's kind of what its all about. I was just looking for a quick turn around. Sick of paying overpriced state prices in Ohio for something I can now legally grow on my own. Waited 20 some odd years to be able to grow legally. Couldn't risk it with the kiddos.

I feel ya bud I’m in the uk so still illegal.
It’s a learning curve bud you’ll get it sorted in no time if your hearts in it witch it sounds like it is.

Not only will you save money you’ll be gob smacked at how much nicer it is and after a while you’ll be like folks pay how much for what you consider to be a small amount.

That’s a great suggestion autos you can’t control when they flower a simple mistake and they don’t forgive you ending in less back.

Photos you control when they flower and make any mistakes and all you gota do is veg a tad longer, much more forgiving.

As for the expensive laid out at first yeah but you definitely make your money back and some.

I am slashing out on a upgrade it’s cost roughly £500 but I know one good run and I saved loads if I compare it to buying it. Even the cost of the lights ect ect can easily be made back with a few nice plants … that and your own bud perfecto

U

unleashed

Hey Dr.,

How do you think a plant picks up vitamin B? Plants synthesize all vitamin Bs. There is zero benefit of adding exogenous vitamin B. What do you think the half life is of vitamin B in the soil? Regarding uptake the plant has no mechanism to transport vB into a root.

Zill.
i use b52 in all weeks except 4,5, as per bottle

H

HomegrownOhighO

Does this mean that she is a he? There are lots of flowering sites just no pistils.

IMG 20240116 182408587
H

HomegrownOhighO

Are these nanners, I am really hoping not.

IMG 20240116 182408587
H

HomegrownOhighO

The good news is, they’re not nanners. The bad news is, it could still be male! Can’t really tell from that picture. Might be a little too early.
She's 8 weeks old Friday, I just put her under 12/12 today to she if I can flip her into flower. There is still hope. From this point on if it does end up being a photo and female, would I continue with the 12/12 through out flowering?

Top Bottom