Stems Are Hollow

• Thread starter iamhellsangel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
literally the definition of organic matter it has a carbon molecule attached.
say it louder for the non-gmo, free range, OMRI certified organic crowd in the back.

also, reiterate, plants don't uptake "organic" nutrients. they uptake compounds, otherwise known as chemicals, that *gasp* the soil organisms have chelated to make available to the plant. Just because you dump a bunch of literal shit into a pot doesn't mean the plant eats it. As the plant grows, does all your soil evaporate? didn't think so. what about in hydro, if running well does your EC drop, your pH rise, and your water level go down? yes... hmmm, wonder why.... oh that's right. the plants are eating the same shit from a more direct source. and they're doing it more economically without wasting water to runoff and direct evaporation via soil surface area.

organic is bullshit and outside KNF, it's proven to be more environmentally detrimental per many university studies (excess use of water, degradation of top soil, poisoning of watersheds, proliferation of noxious weeds, serious bacterial issues in harvested produce, eg e-coli, salmonella, lysteria, uneconomical given the effective timelines for it to work... need i go on) than hydroponic methods that conserve water, use less resources as the crops are grown quicker and more economically (less logisitics, less water consumption, minimal or no wasted water, higher yield), and the results produce higher Brix crops so they're healthier. Can't badge em with that almighty "organic" label for that hipster premium though, so you lose the nose in the air value there. weed is all the same -- rather smoke my sterile hydro harvest than anyones organic outdoor. at least i can reasonably trust my flower is clean of organic compounds and pathogens. cliffnote: organic compounds are the dangerous ones in chemistry, synthetics tend to be pretty fuckin stable, so there's that.

Last i have to add before stepping off this soap box, hollow stems don't mean shit. Some plants do it, some don't. I've grown well over 100 strains, and the oddities have been the full stem genetics. *mic drop*

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

say it louder for the non-gmo, free range, OMRI certified organic crowd in the back.

also, reiterate, plants don't uptake "organic" nutrients. they uptake compounds, otherwise known as chemicals, that *gasp* the soil organisms have chelated to make available to the plant. Just because you dump a bunch of literal shit into a pot doesn't mean the plant eats it. As the plant grows, does all your soil evaporate? didn't think so. what about in hydro, if running well does your EC drop, your pH rise, and your water level go down? yes... hmmm, wonder why.... oh that's right. the plants are eating the same shit from a more direct source. and they're doing it more economically without wasting water to runoff and direct evaporation via soil surface area.

organic is bullshit and outside KNF, it's proven to be more environmentally detrimental per many university studies (excess use of water, degradation of top soil, poisoning of watersheds, proliferation of noxious weeds, serious bacterial issues in harvested produce, eg e-coli, salmonella, lysteria, uneconomical given the effective timelines for it to work... need i go on) than hydroponic methods that conserve water, use less resources as the crops are grown quicker and more economically (less logisitics, less water consumption, minimal or no wasted water, higher yield), and the results produce higher Brix crops so they're healthier. Can't badge em with that almighty "organic" label for that hipster premium though, so you lose the nose in the air value there. weed is all the same -- rather smoke my sterile hydro harvest than anyones organic outdoor. at least i can reasonably trust my flower is clean of organic compounds and pathogens. cliffnote: organic compounds are the dangerous ones in chemistry, synthetics tend to be pretty fuckin stable, so there's that.

Last i have to add before stepping off this soap box, hollow stems don't mean shit. Some plants do it, some don't. I've grown well over 100 strains, and the oddities have been the full stem genetics. *mic drop*
Yep i agree with almost all of this but I certainly have seen a great difference in hollow size between growing media and growth rates

H

hydrodreams

The topic of hollow stems is especially interesting to people who want to clone a mother since hollow stem cuts almost never root.....So any possible way of "filling" the hollow is indeed very valuable to many people. It's not just about plants in flower.....

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

The topic of hollow stems is especially interesting to people who want to clone a mother since hollow stem cuts almost never root.....So any possible way of "filling" the hollow is indeed very valuable to many people. It's not just about plants in flower.....
Hollow stem plants tend to be taller,sativas are more apt to be hollow,perhaps due to competition as they grow tall faster. The area where they are grown has bearing and generations of growth in a new climate will change things. In the case of cannabis,pithy stalks are desirable in some hemp strains used as textile. In Drug cannabis ,according to Michael Starks,hollow stems are more psychoactive,overall produce more active ingredient and pithy stemmed plants are culled.

20221105 122512
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

If you want more pith, increasing wind on them may force it over time along with more nitrogen,potassium and silica but it's mostly genetic. I have never heard hollow stems harder to clone, I have found sativa clones easier in my case. If you look at the base of the stalk and see a lot of white bumps it is a sign of easier cloning and you can add soil and more roots will grow there.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If you want more pith, increasing wind on them may force it over time along with more nitrogen,potassium and silica but it's mostly genetic. I have never heard hollow stems harder to clone, I have found sativa clones easier in my case. If you look at the base of the stalk and see a lot of white bumps it is a sign of easier cloning and you can add soil and more roots will grow there.
I've noticed the males growing taller quicker and with hollow stalks, I never gave it an thought until I saw this post but maybe that's a male trait??? as well as genetics??? by manipulating the light spectrum we can stretch them or keep them shorter, could the type of light effect the stalk as well???

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I've noticed the males growing taller quicker and with hollow stalks, I never gave it an thought until I saw this post but maybe that's a male trait??? as well as genetics??? by manipulating the light spectrum we can stretch them or keep them shorter, could the type of light effect the stalk as well???
Not sure about the male thing, i would assume if from the same line they would both exhibit hollow or pithy stems, the hollow stemmed ones seem to be closer to the equator and demand plenty of light. I have old ak47 from around initial release and they have really hollow stems,very fragile, just the flower weight will kink them and they need to be tied. I think if it isn't from lack of some nutrients then it's just the way they are. Bamboo is like that,they grow huge and are hollow but they are super strong.

H

hydrodreams

(....) I have never heard hollow stems harder to clone,(....)

So you are saying that you have cloned cuts that are seriously hollow often? I tried it many times the last few months and they alway get rotten and fall over, the ones with hollow stems I mean....

XxTheWolfxX

XxTheWolfxX

So they guy in the beginning of thread was half right about boron deficiency being one of the main causes of an hollow pith in cannabis. But there is also a genetic component that someone else was talking about that happens with some equatorial varieties in the wetter regions, this hallow pith trait can be genetically passed on. There may be a component to hydroponics that exasperates the hallow pith that Aquaman was eluding to, it is the most interesting considering the many Equatorial varieties coming from wet climates. If you have a hollow pith, but otherwise the plant is healthy, lush and vigorous, it may not be cause for concern. You can try foliar feeding a light borax/water mixture to see if it helps over the course of a few weeks, but I would caution you on adding it to your hydroponic reservoir or soil in any large amount especially if your using a complete fertilizer regimen, all the leading fertilizer company's have plenty of boron in their fertilizers..I have found that some cannabis varieties are boron hogs though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom