Strain for harsh outdoor environment?

• Thread starter sp838
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sp838

sp838

Was wondering what strain(s) would be recommended for an outdoor environment with pretty wide daily temperature swings, generally dry air and very strong direct sunlight, to be grown in fabric pots. No preference really such as indica vs sativa etc, beyond what could possibly grow well in those conditions. Thanks!!!

sp838

sp838

I should specify - overnight lows in the low 60s, highs in the 90 - 95 range. Humidity can be anywhere from as low as 15%, to about 50% on an overcast day.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

Blue dream grew great for me outdoor. Intense sun. Low humidity and cold nights. It grows fast, was very bug/mold resistant. With all out door keep a close eye put for catiplliars. They can ruin you plants very quickly

sp838

sp838

Looking for something that might survive outside in the south of France, on a hilltop surrounded by vineyards. Like southern California basically. A short hop from the desert.

I'll look into Blue Dream, thanks for the rec. Wondering what strains they grow traditionally in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, etc.... Or Spain even.

sp838

sp838

Thanks for all the replies! The season ends in mid to late September. October brings cold rains and the days are already short, sun getting low. My biggest concern other than the temperature swings is humidity. There is a lot of wind up there too, and though the area where I'd be putting them is sheltered a bit, the wind just strips all the humidity out of the air. So whatever the ideal strains are they'd have to be pretty hardy re: dryness. I like the idea of doing a fast finishing plant that would take advantage of the intense summer sun and heat but be done before the days get short, damp and cold.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Thanks for all the replies! The season ends in mid to late September. October brings cold rains and the days are already short, sun getting low. My biggest concern other than the temperature swings is humidity. There is a lot of wind up there too, and though the area where I'd be putting them is sheltered a bit, the wind just strips all the humidity out of the air. So whatever the ideal strains are they'd have to be pretty hardy re: dryness. I like the idea of doing a fast finishing plant that would take advantage of the intense summer sun and heat but be done before the days get short, damp and cold.
You sound like everybody that grows east of the Rockies! LOL!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

One of our members is trying out Cinderella XX outdoors this year, but her results will be too late for you to get any timely advice, since you'd both be finishing about the same time.

I would try Cinderella XX or a similar strain and also a 7-8 week indica. Cinderella is a sativa, but with a very short flowering period of about 8 weeks.

The more strains you try, the better. Some short flowering strains might not begin flowering in time to harvest by late September, so a variety would be good insurance that something will be fully ripe.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
IMO when growing where it’s hot out low humidity is your friend. I don’t think I’d make it without low humidity!

rasterman

rasterman

I should specify - overnight lows in the low 60s, highs in the 90 - 95 range. Humidity can be anywhere from as low as 15%, to about 50% on an overcast day.
What elevation and latitude?

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Peyote critical from barneys farm should do great in theese inviroments finishes before heavy rains

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
Super Silver Haze or pretty much any haze strain, they are generally known as the strongest plants in cannabis that will tolerate a lot of abuse.
And my buddy tells me this morning they can be finicky..lol.

Top Bottom