Strains With Double Serrated Leaves.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So I have this platinum cookie cut which has these big beautiful leaves with double serrations, looks like a sawblade.

Anyone else seen this before? The platinum cookies is meant to be Durban poison crossed with OG kush and a third mystery strain. I'm wondering if these serrated leaves could help reveal the identity of that third mystery strain since I haven't seen it on OG or DP.

Someone here said they thought it could be a skunk trait. Anyone else got any ideas?
Strains with double serrated leaves

Mudskipper

Mudskipper

I've got a pheno of the Satsuma w/ double serrated margins-which supposedly came from the Cali-o strain bread into it.
I've also got Purple Urkle x Paki w/ double serrated margins as well.
The urkle has serrated margins but they're not as consistent.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Did some digging on the net and it seems like the double serrations is common in Skunk, Cheese, and blueberry, and they all share a common relative. And that is a landrace indica originating from the Himalayas in Northern Afghanistan, in other words it seems to be a pure afghani trait.

Which makes a heck of a lot of sense now that I think about it. Hash made from this plant tastes an awful lot like the gold seal I used to get back in the 90's.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Did some digging on the net and it seems like the double serrations is common in Skunk, Cheese, and blueberry, and they all share a common relative. And that is a landrace indica originating from the Himalayas in Northern Afghanistan, in other words it seems to be a pure afghani trait.

Which makes a heck of a lot of sense now that I think about it. Hash made from this plant tastes an awful lot like the gold seal I used to get back in the 90's.

Maybe its just a hybrid trait. I see it often. My black widow hybrid has them. And a POW 33 i think.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Maybe its just a hybrid trait. I see it often. My black widow hybrid has them. And a POW 33 i think.

It sure looks like it came from Afghani genetics, but it could totally xpress itself in any hybrid that has Afghani in its lineage I think. Just looked up black widow and its crossed with a south Indian indica, which puts it right in that same region again, so perhaps its generally a Himilayan Indica trait.

This is all still speculative... I obviously cant say with any degree of certainty but so far all the strains that supposedly have it seem to have pure Himilayan indica crossed in them at some point. Either from Afghanistan or India.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It sure looks like it came from Afghani genetics, but it could totally xpress itself in any hybrid that has Afghani in its lineage I think. Just looked up black widow and its crossed with a south Indian indica, which puts it right in that same region again, so perhaps its generally a Himilayan Indica trait.

This is all still speculative... I obviously cant say with any degree of certainty but so far all the strains that supposedly have it seem to have pure Himilayan indica crossed in them at some point. Either from Afghanistan or India.

I guess i was saying all modern strains have some Afghani in them. But does bubba or any other heavy leaning indica have them? I see them on narrower leaves usually. Almost never on fat leaves.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I guess i was saying all modern strains have some Afghani in them. But does bubba or any other heavy leaning indica have them? I see them on narrower leaves usually. Almost never on fat leaves.

No, my bubba doesnt. But looking at pics of pure afghan, the leaves look an awful lot like my platinum cookie leaves. Infact so does the bud really. Not the typical squat indica look. This has me pretty curious I have to say.
Screenshot 20190313 142932 Samsung Internet

Kndreyn

Kndreyn

I have a plant that dates back to 1980 that has double serrated leaves. It has a slight catpiss odor if you brush up against it. Other than that it has no odor during flowering. It has a very earthy/hash flavor that I love. I made some crosses with her back in the early/mid 2000s and one of those crosses had the double serrated leaves and was very potent, but never had that flavor. I shutdown for a long time, then recently got back in to it, and I've been able to reacquire the original clone. Until now, that was the only plant I saw that had the double serrated leaves, but I'm testing some seeds for a breeder that is showing this trait. It's a G13 x Afghani/Skunk. I'm going to hit the 1980 clone with some males from that cross and see what I get.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have a plant that dates back to 1980 that has double serrated leaves. It has a slight catpiss odor if you brush up against it. Other than that it has no odor during flowering. It has a very earthy/hash flavor that I love. I made some crosses with her back in the early/mid 2000s and one of those crosses had the double serrated leaves and was very potent, but never had that flavor. I shutdown for a long time, then recently got back in to it, and I've been able to reacquire the original clone. Until now, that was the only plant I saw that had the double serrated leaves, but I'm testing some seeds for a breeder that is showing this trait. It's a G13 x Afghani/Skunk. I'm going to hit the 1980 clone with some males from that cross and see what I get.

Interesting. The other plant that is in the genetics often when i see the double serrations is PG-13.

@MidwestToker does your g-13 show the sawtooth serrations?

Latest posts

Top Bottom