Stressing, Pruning, Defoliating! Good or Bad??

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

Ok so, I’m a first time grower. I have seen a little on the debates of whether or not these methods of chopping branches, cutting leaves, bending, poking, drilling and beating the shit out of your plant really works, or is just bad and hurtful to your plant.

The answer is both!

Let me explain. I’ll also explain it in a way that explains why a first time grower....feels the need to explain something. Now say that word 5 more times and you might go insane. Now let me explain...

There‘s a tree called the Agarwood tree. It grows all over in tropical rainforests, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam (some of the absolute best in the world), India, etc. There’s a very small amount of these trees that contract a disease or injury from bugs, lightning, wind storms etc. and only about 2% not 20, just 2% of these trees produce an oily resin throughout the flesh of the tree as a defense mechanism. This oil, when collected through steam distillation, is called Oud. One of the most complex and beautiful scent profiles in the world. The wood with resin is also burned as incense. Go into a Macy’s or Sephora and you’ll see the word “Oud” on many many perfume bottles from Chanel to Stetson. None of these actually contain real Oud but at one time they did, some even up until the 1950s. Now there are huge agarwood farms, for cultivated Oud oil. A lot cheaper than the wild stuff but no less incredible smelling. Each varietal unique like cannabis with their own scent profiles like cannabis, but even more complex.

Soo... here is my point. Farmers injure and damage these trees to force them to produce the oil that is extracted. Without the injury the tree would not produce ANY Oud oil. It’s bad for the tree, but that’s the point. We want the Oud! This is the same exact principal for stressing, pruning, exposing UV light etc. The cannabis plant produces terpenes and trichomes as both deterrents and protective responses from threats all around. Whether it be bugs, weather, sun intensity or just a fat bird falling out of the sky and taking out a few branches on the way down.

Just like with Agarwood, we are forcing the plant to produce the desired oils and resins. How, where and when to drill that hole? Well that’s what we are all still figuring out, which I’m sure depends on growing conditions, strain, and maybe even a little luck of the draw.

That’s my take on it. But always question everything.

and feel free to message me if you want to know more about Oud. The real stuff is incredible.

Last edited:
Observationist

Observationist

Ok so, I’m a first time grower. I have seen a little on the debates of whether or not these methods of chopping branches, cutting leaves, bending, poking, drilling and beating the shit out of your plant really works, or is just bad and hurtful to your plant.

The answer is both!

Let me explain. I’ll also explain it in a way that explains why a first time grower....feels the need to explain something. Now say that word 5 more times and you might go insane. Now let me explain...

There‘s a tree called the Agarwood tree. It grows all over in tropical rainforests, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam (some of the absolute best in the world), India, etc. There’s a very small amount of these trees that contract a disease or injury from bugs, lightning, wind storms etc. and only about 2% not 20, just 2% of these trees produce an oily resin throughout the flesh of the tree as a defense mechanism. This oil, when collected through steam distillation, is called Oud. One of the most complex and beautiful scent profiles in the world. The wood with resin is also burned as incense. Go into a Macy’s or Sephora and you’ll see the word “Oud” on many many perfume bottles from Chanel to Stetson. None of these actually contain real Oud but at one time they did, some even up until the 1950s. Now there are huge agarwood farms, for cultivated Oud oil. A lot cheaper than the wild stuff but no less incredible smelling. Each varietal unique like cannabis with their own scent profiles like cannabis, but even more complex.

Soo... here is my point. Farmers injure and damage these trees to force them to produce the oil that is extracted. Without the injury the tree would not produce ANY Oud oil. It’s bad for the tree, but that’s the point. We want the Oud! This is the same exact principal for stressing, pruning, exposing UV light etc. The cannabis plant produces terpenes and trichomes as both deterrents and protective responses from threats all around. Whether it be bugs, weather, sun intensity or just a fat bird falling out of the sky and taking out a few branches on the way down.

Just like with Agarwood, we are forcing the plant to produce the desired oils and resins. How, where and when to drill that hole? Well that’s what we are all still figuring out, which I’m sure depends on growing conditions, strain, and maybe even a little luck of the draw.

That’s my take on it. But always question everything.

and feel free to message me if you want to know more about Oud. The real stuff is incredible.
Bruce Bigbee is actively researching this
He’s calling it PST I think, precision stress training.

Bending the plant makes it stronger, by growing lignin - wind, ties.

defoliating the plant, taking leafs off in theory, makes the plant think it’s being attacked and needs to grow/flower to preserve its genetic line ? And releases more hormones ?

Taking fan leaves off that are shading the lower growth - due to low light penetration or general low light.

UV in theory supposedly should/can trigger mechanisms in plants to try and shield them selfs from harmful UV rays

want to help your plant support its self more?
Bend the branches, they bulk up around those spots, like a knuckle.

Top Bottom