Stretch & Transplant timing

• Thread starter Ladyv
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ladyv

Ladyv

My little experiment:

All cuts are from the same mother, taken at the same time, grown in the same tray, planted in the same media and fed from the same reservoir. Strain is an unknown Kush that really helps with my chronic pain...plants weren't trained to trellis as I wanted to just let them do their thing for this test. I will try this next round with my OG.
Girls were a tad overfed at this point and a little warm....but you get the point.

Note the photo below - I marked the top most branches of each size plant - probably should have gotten a better pic to start with though....
Stretch  transplant timing

The two in the back, Plants #1 & #2 were transplanted from 5" pots to 2 gallon smart pots, vegged an additional 2 weeks and flipped to 12/12
Plant #3 was left in it's 5" pot until the night before lights were flipped to 12/12
Plant #4 was left in it's 5" pot until day 10 of lights at 12/12

Plant #4 node spacing (front and center) (Ignore the OG in the background left)
Photo1

Plant #3
Photo2

Plant #'s 1&2:
Photo3

I figure the plant is having to share energy between filling the pots with roots and stretching, slowing down both processes so root mass will be compared for size and health when they are finished....I will also weigh out the flowers from each in the end. Next round I will try this with my OG's.

soserthc1

soserthc1

very interesting experiment please keep this updated - also how long have they been in flower did not see it mentioned

soserthc1

soserthc1

Sorry about that.....Pics are Day 35 of 12/12.
All were vegged 24/0 for 28 days after transplanting rooted clone to media.
Media is 70/30 Coco Coir/Perlite

no worries just had my curiosity seems the later transplanted ones 3 & 4 are stacking nicer my interest is if the smaller bigger buds give you more weight than the tall lanky ones but at day 35 they should start filling in now and the smaller ones will probably get solid rock nugs - I guess will know in 2 weeks ... awesome experiment

Karma SoSerThc1

homebrew420

homebrew420

So when transplanted, they were all the same size? This is a health issue.
We transplant from a 4" rockwool cube directly into a #3 grow bag of coir. When the plants are unstressed they don't miss a beat and explode into the pots. Feeding heavy during this time will give you maximum benefit. Also NOT switching to bloom food the first 2weeks helps tremendously.
Hope this is helpful.

Peace

Ladyv

Ladyv

Hey Homebrew - same size? :confused: They were transplanted at different stages, so no....and I'm not sure why you are saying this is a health issue???
Did you miss that it was something I was experimenting with to deal with my super stretchy strains?:D

Have a great day!!

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
very cool thread, I wanted to add that (although i run coco beds) I recently tried a small experiment. I usually veg 20+ days in my beds I tried a 3 day veg in one of my small beds and Ive noticed diffrences in the same strain in beds between 20+ day veg and 3 day veg. Mostly that at day 22 of flower( current) the beds with a 3 day veg are about a week behind in flower production, more spaced out nodes( mabe because they were father frm the lights) and the stems are much more thicker. Im with you I think there is a coloration between the strech and also having to fill out root mass, im jus not sure exactly yet. Ill take some pictures and post them soon.

confu

homebrew420

homebrew420

Hey Homebrew - same size? :confused: They were transplanted at different stages, so no....and I'm not sure why you are saying this is a health issue???
Did you miss that it was something I was experimenting with to deal with my super stretchy strains?:D

Have a great day!!

Duh!! Yeah I did somehow. Must have been distracted by the pretty pics. Haha.
Peace

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
These pixs are of the same strain wifi, only diffrence is one had 20+ days of veg in their beds B4 flip the other had jus 4 days veg. this is at day 24 for both

20 plus day veg and well established root system
P1060093
P1060094
P1060095

And 4day veg in the beds, they spent their stretch period also building roots. Pretty noticeable diffrence.

P1060097
P1060098

Im wondering if the 4 day veg is done putting on bud sights cuz if so, itll b a much smaller yield than the longer veg.

Confu`

Ladyv

Ladyv

Nice pictures! Girls look happy!

I found that, (at least with my OG strain), with less veg time came less yield. I tried vegging mine for shorter periods to try and get shorter plants after stretch, the yield difference blew me away.
But in doing so, I found a sweet spot in veg time, out of two side by side trays, one at 3 weeks, one at 4 weeks, the 3 week tray gave 25% less finished product weight. However, I also had a tray that had 5 weeks veg time, and that one put out pretty close to an equal amount to my 4 week veg group. Each tray had the same amount of plants in it.

Isn't this fun?! :-)

Lady

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm very interested in the conclusions you come to with this. I'm dealing with strains that have very odd starch characteristics, so it will be very helpful to have some tools in my kid to deal with it effectively.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Nice pictures! Girls look happy!

I found that, (at least with my OG strain), with less veg time came less yield. I tried vegging mine for shorter periods to try and get shorter plants after stretch, the yield difference blew me away.
But in doing so, I found a sweet spot in veg time, out of two side by side trays, one at 3 weeks, one at 4 weeks, the 3 week tray gave 25% less finished product weight. However, I also had a tray that had 5 weeks veg time, and that one put out pretty close to an equal amount to my 4 week veg group. Each tray had the same amount of plants in it.

Isn't this fun?! :-)

Lady

Always fun unless plant aren't happy then, it's miserable lol.

So in ur above conclusion, was that total veg time or veg time in said trays? I ask because I usually leave my plants in solo cups after cloning for a few weeks, then out rm I'm trays.
Thnx
Confu

Ladyv

Ladyv

Always fun unless plant aren't happy then, it's miserable lol. Confu

Ain't that the truth!!

So in ur above conclusion, was that total veg time or veg time in said trays? I ask because I usually leave my plants in solo cups after cloning for a few weeks, then out rm I'm trays.
Thnx
Confu

Total veg time from transplanting the rooted clone into its first pot of media based on the way I had been doing things:
Rooted clone to 4" pot, then around 14-16 days (when pots are full of roots), I transplant into final 2 gallon bag, veg out to the 28 day mark and then flip to 12/12.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Nice experiment- I look forward to seeing the end tally.
PB

Ladyv

Ladyv

Just a quick update, the ladies are doing good. I'd venture to say that #3 will keep up with her taller sisters in the yield department, number 4 looks great, but she's sooooo much shorter.....I don't know, seems like so much less plant to develop flowers on. It's all relative though I guess, running more per tray would be an option at this size.

I probably should have raised her up closer to the light earlier in the run.....how I could miss something so obvious :facepalm: She might not be getting a fair shot in this experiment due to her being further from the light.

Regardless, I will continue, and then run this experiment again on the OG's pending confirmation of good root mass at the end.
I'll try to get some pics up soon, had to take the DLSR in for repair, should be back next week sometime.

L

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm in the process of redesigning my vegetative stages. Information gathered from this experiment will be used in the design of the process, to deliver plants to the blooming stage in the very best possible condition to grow and yield.

Keep it up, I LIVE for this stuff!

Ladyv

Ladyv

I'm in the process of redesigning my vegetative stages. Information gathered from this experiment will be used in the design of the process, to deliver plants to the blooming stage in the very best possible condition to grow and yield.

Keep it up, I LIVE for this stuff!

Me too.....Live it.....Love it!

Cat headphones

Top Bottom