Stunned growth/New growth lime green

• Thread starter goodbye95
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mothman

Mothman

@GNick55 is right, there are some lookalike symptoms that can be caused by different problems.

If it is indeed Mg and the striping persists in new growth after you pour in your mix, you may have a root-level lockout. If the problem persists, I’d try a simple foliar spray of Epsom salt solution in a spray bottle just before lights out. If it then improves leaf appearance, you can be fairly sure you have an Mg lockout. In that case the foliar spray is first aid that bypasses the roots until you can figure out the reason for the Mg lockout.

goodbye95

goodbye95

@GNick55 is right, there are some lookalike symptoms that can be caused by different problems.

If it is indeed Mg and the striping persists in new growth after you pour in your mix, you may have a root-level lockout. If the problem persists, I’d try a simple foliar spray of Epsom salt solution in a spray bottle just before lights out. If it then improves leaf appearance, you can be fairly sure you have an Mg lockout. In that case the foliar spray is first aid that bypasses the roots until you can figure out the reason for the Mg lockout.
should i try this now ? or wait until next watering?

Mothman

Mothman

should i try this now ? or wait until next watering?
Excellent question. My first inclination was to suggest you spray it first, but that will only confirm it’s a Mg def. It won’t let you know if you have a lockout to figure out. So spraying first may just buy you time. You may still need to confirm lockout and find the source. And if I’m wrong I feel sure I’ll be corrected shortly! 🤡

There are way more knowledgeable folks on here than me. They tend to watch out for HELP written in the sand!

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

These plants at 20 days old are way pot bound. The should have been transplanted into 24" pots 5 days after breaking ground. Never let young plant roots grow to the pot sides. Ever. That's most of the problem. I'd suspect over watering and no nutrients as well. Stunted plants like this are not worth messing with. Compost them and start again. Go to your hardware store and get New potting mix. When starting new plants. 1 TBS Pink Sea salt in 20 L water. Soaking 12" pots a few days ahead of time will give your plants many needed minerals. Let the pot's dry out before transplanting seedlings into them. 5 days after breaking ground transfer into large pots and water in with Pro Mix Nuts. 12-6 -6 for 1/2 Strength once a week until established add 1/8 strength cal mag for the entire grow. After flipping and stretch buds forming. Switch to 5-15-5 until finished flowering. This works.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
These plants at 20 days old are way pot bound. The should have been transplanted into 24" pots 5 days after breaking ground. Never let young plant roots grow to the pot sides. Ever. That's most of the problem. I'd suspect over watering and no nutrients as well. Stunted plants like this are not worth messing with. Compost them and start again. Go to your hardware store and get New potting mix. When starting new plants. 1 TBS Pink Sea salt in 20 L water. Soaking 12" pots a few days ahead of time will give your plants many needed minerals. Let the pot's dry out before transplanting seedlings into them. 5 days after breaking ground transfer into large pots and water in with Pro Mix Nuts. 12-6 -6 for 1/2 Strength once a week until established add 1/8 strength cal mag for the entire grow. After flipping and stretch buds forming. Switch to 5-15-5 until finished flowering. This works.
uummm no..

goodbye95

goodbye95

DAY 4

SAME VALUES

Rh day 60%
Rh night 60%
Temp day 24C
temp night 21 C
Soil temp 24C
soil temp night 23 C
Lights intens.25% at 80 cm
Co2 400-600 ppm

The little seedling today started showing some lime colours on its new growth . I lifted the pot and it was light . I sticked the finger inside and it was dry from top to bottom of the pot so i suppose it was time to water. And so i watered at 6.6 ph from the tank with the 1 tbsp of epsom salts in 12 litres of water . The rest of the plants show no signs of external growth but they look happy beside that. The big pots are dry on the top and the soil is cracking . I broke the surface with my finger to introduce some fresh air and mixed well . They are still wet under the surface and heavy , so there is enough time before the next watering . Good signs overall. Not better not worse .

Below are the photos i took before i watered the little plant.
If i should change any of the above values i am all ears for propositions ( with explanations of "why" please ! )

AGR09219
AGR09220
AGR09221
AGR09221
AGR09222
AGR09223
AGR09224
AGR09226
AGR09227
goodbye95

goodbye95

DAY 5

SAME VALUES

Rh day 60%
Rh night 60%
Temp day 24C
temp night 21 C
Soil temp 24C
soil temp night 23 C
Lights intens.25% at 80 cm
Co2 400-600 ppm

Today i used some foliar spray from the water with the epsom salts inside . I sprayed 4 times on top of each plant . Overall the plants are stunned again . No growth at all . The deficiences seem to my eyes that are a little bit worse , but ill let you compare them too.

GNick55 what do you think?​

AGR09228
AGR09229
AGR09230
AGR09231
AGR09232
AGR09233
AGR09234
AGR09235
Last edited:
goodbye95

goodbye95

so . Can anyone respond to whats next? i got no responses after day 3 and i do not know what to do.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I'd transfer them into much larger pots first. Carefully take them out of those pots, wash all of the potting soil off the root balls and carefully re plant in fresh soil. Not Mirical Grow it's not good for pot plants. After re potting, cut them all off just bellow the 3rd node. The tops are badly light burned anyway not Magnesium deficient. Low stress tie down.. What ever you are feeding is not working. Go get some simple Nutrients like Pro mix 12-6-6 at the hardware store and a small watering can. Give them a good feed of that and see what you have in a week or 10 days. Back that light off to at least 24". You want springtime May light intensity for young plants like this not flowering in August. If they don't pick up and go in 10 days compost them and start again. No use messing with sick plants.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
sorry just busy and in my way to work.. i’ll be here later

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

so . Can anyone respond to whats next? i got no responses after day 3 and i do not know what to do.
I can try.

Are these autos or photos? If they're autos, they should only be transplanted once, and that should be to their final pots. If they're photos, and an intermediate pot of about one gallon would be the next step.

There's no reason to wash the soil off the roots when you transplant. Miracle Grow isn't recommended, but it isn't poison. By the time these plants are done, the amount of Miracle Grow remaining in the mix will be less than trivial. Just use better soil when you transplant them.

They do look like they need to be transplanted.

I don't believe the tops are light burned. It looks more like a nutrient problem to me. Maybe lockout from too frequent watering. Transplanting them to bigger pots will help with that. These plants like their soil to dry all the way to the bottom of the pot before they are watered again. I like to use a soil moisture meter, but simply lifting the pots to get a sense of how much they weigh when the soil is wet versus when it is dry is also a good method.

Seedlings do prefer low light intensity. I run my 120-watt LED light at about 25% at 24 inches above the plant tops. As the plants grow, they gradually can use more light and nutrients.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Basically, don't worry or try many different things at once. Your plants can finish well. Just let the experienced growers help. @GNick55 and others here can help a lot. I know that from experience.

goodbye95

goodbye95

Basically, don't worry or try many different things at once. Your plants can finish well. Just let the experienced growers help. @GNick55 and others here can help a lot. I know that from experience.
i know. i am waiting for a response before i take any action ! thank you !

goodbye95

goodbye95

I can try.

Are these autos or photos? If they're autos, they should only be transplanted once, and that should be to their final pots. If they're photos, and an intermediate pot of about one gallon would be the next step.

There's no reason to wash the soil off the roots when you transplant. Miracle Grow isn't recommended, but it isn't poison. By the time these plants are done, the amount of Miracle Grow remaining in the mix will be less than trivial. Just use better soil when you transplant them.

They do look like they need to be transplanted.

I don't believe the tops are light burned. It looks more like a nutrient problem to me. Maybe lockout from too frequent watering. Transplanting them to bigger pots will help with that. These plants like their soil to dry all the way to the bottom of the pot before they are watered again. I like to use a soil moisture meter, but simply lifting the pots to get a sense of how much they weigh when the soil is wet versus when it is dry is also a good method.

Seedlings do prefer low light intensity. I run my 120-watt LED light at about 25% at 24 inches above the plant tops. As the plants grow, they gradually can use more light and nutrients.
they are feminised. Mimosa strain from royal queen seeds . i transplanted before 4 days.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
just keep the light higher up and have patience until next time watering..
keep it clean and environment in zone..

goodbye95

goodbye95

DAY 5

Lowered light intensity by 5%

Rh day 60%
Rh night 60%
Temp day 24C
temp night 21 C
Soil temp 24C
soil temp night 23 C
Lights intensity 20% at 80 cm
Co2 400-600 ppm

The soil is still wet under the surface and it might take a while . Keep in mind 4 days before they were in 200 ml pots and now they are on 1L pots.
Is there a possibility a change in the Values of humidity,temperature,Co2 or soil temperature could make a slight difference? All of aspects can be regulated !

AGR09236
AGR09237
AGR09240
AGR09242
AGR09243
AGR09244
AGR09247
AGR09255
AGR09256
AGR09257
AGR09258
AGR09259
AGR09263
AGR09269
AGR09270
SHiNi

SHiNi

@GNick55 is spot on as usual so trust him and listen to him he guided a few growers already from the brink of dead plants to massive yields

Screenshot 20230325 102529 Samsung Notes

Looks like the problem you having aswell

Top Bottom