Sugar leaves vs buds for BHO/GLASS?

• Thread starter juggernaut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Decarboxylated never hardens. Partial decarboxylation works as the softener and prevents brittle amber consistency.

I think it would be correct to oppose the carboxylic vs phenolic or acidic vs neutral.
uugghh i'll post pics when i have time........de-carboxylated oil has the same ability to become crystalline as does the acidic form....either that or it's a partial

Graywolf

Graywolf

Please explain why you counterpose carboxylic acid and a non-polar form? Carboxylic acid is a polar form?
On this basis, I have met the erroneous assertion that the carboxylic acid is insoluble in non-polar solvents and even that they are water soluble.

The carboxylic acid form of THC (THCA) is more polar than the base form of THC, due to the two oxygen atoms in the COOH group, which is why I called it the polar form. Neither are highly polar, one is just more polar and both would have a dielectric constant lower than 15.

The terpenes and solvents that we typically use fall on a dielectric scale, ranging from less polar to more polar. Anything that falls below 15 on this scale is generally considered non polar.

Pentane for instance has a DC of 1.84 and water 80.1. I don't know the dielectric constant of THC or THCA, but just because like dissolves like, doesn't mean it is black or white, only that a solvent prefers solutions closer to its own polarity.

For that reason, even with a polarity as low as 1.84, Pentane will still absorb as much as 40 mg/L water at 20C.
I don't know what the water solubility of THCA is, but it would more than THC by a few mg/L. THC itself will hold up to 2.8 grams of water per liter.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Now I am sure some of you will not agree with this, but I have seen "shatter" simply by blasting cold and not whipping the material. If allowed to dry properly it seems that shatter is inevitable.

Maybe not inevitable, in that it has to still be in carboxylic form before extraction, but cold blasting with no heat, should reliably retain the shatter form. It may not be fully purged, but it will be shatter.

It is in the final purging step using heat, that may also partially decarboxylate the oil. It is easiest to do with vacuum, but can also be done reliably in thin films without vacuum, by keeping the temperature below about 130F.

Bo0m

Bo0m

#TempleOfBoomMagikBeanCo
Supporter
You can get glass/shatter from both sugar leaves or buds. Iv achieved glass with both personally. When it comes to blasting bho to make shatter if you use a zip of flowers a good return would be around 25%. ( so right around 7 grams of glass/shatter per 28 grams of buds). Sugar leaf is a bit harder to give ya a good estimate as it really depends on how sugar coated the trim is. It wont be as much as flowers though for sure. You can def tell the difference between oio made from trim and oil made from buds. Oil made from buds will always smell and taste better.....and iv noticed it to be stronger. If purged right and done right you can still get some wicked good oils from trim still.

You use the machine, or the glass home skillet. The tsunami thing. Was the one I was checking out. It looks bad ass. But these one kids I know that make killer wax, said it wasn't. But Im not sure I'm buying. Everything I read made it sound like it was the bees knees.

dirk d

dirk d

you know what is crazy is that my sugar trim actually outyields my bud when I had my Dab Oils made... I do have kick ass sugar trim though :) Sugar trim yielded 18% while Buds yielded 15.5%...All Mixes of different Strains. Going to start separating trim/buds into strain specific now that I did my first batch's.

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Now I am sure some of you will not agree with this, but I have seen "shatter" simply by blasting cold and not whipping the material. If allowed to dry properly it seems that shatter is inevitable.

I have trim that yields around %20. For this particular strain to stay a constant shatter the heat needs to be VERY low. Lower than my 90 degrees minimum.

Ill smoke this delicious purged waxy budder all day before i smoke some unheated shatter. PS i make shatter 90% of the time.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
Just finished a small batch of GSC sugar leaf trim. Blasted 150 grams and ended up with 25.2 grams of purged oil. I havnt blasted straight up GSC flowers from this past round ao I dont know how they compare. Overall Iim pretty happy with this little personal blast. Shit is ripping awesome

F

FruitOfTheLabor

ill say this.. for anyone lookin to buy anything that the guys are using to make the best of the best.. u need to buy LAB GRADE Equipment. from a lab site.. fisher scientific.. stuff along those lines.. there is no TRADE SECRET.. its all about the LAB EQUIPMENT.. Ive worked in multiple labs.. and have seen all the same shit these dudes use to make shatter.. its expensive. but worth it .

J

JonathanDean

How do you make oil like they have displayed here? Iv had the opportunity to buy this stuff when it comes by the dispensary and its just mind shattering good. But a notch expensive. I pay $50 a gram when its around and I would much rather make it myself if possible. Some of the cleanest and tastiest stuff i've ever had. Any tips or suggestions? They say on there they make it with a Bhogart. Any of you Bhogart users made this stuff before? Is there any way to make this without lab equipment essentially?

http://www.greenscienceremedies.com/#!catalog/c24vq

Sorry to revive this old thread. Among-st the few that were talking a good bit about carboxylic shatter

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
What the fuck is carboxylic shatter? other then clearly under purged muffin of butane waiting to explode?

Reaction to the link/pics of the nasty shit they call " carboxylic shatter " .. I cant even say that with a straight face.

J

JonathanDean

When I bought this from a dispensary I thought the same... Except this stuff was essentially powder when I pressed my dabber into it. And then melted like a full melt.... So thats where confusion strikes. And once again, This was better tasting and cleaner tasting than 9/10ths of th transparent yellow shatters i've bought.... Confusion doesnt even begin to explain.

And LittleDabbie.... No explosions occurred, nor sizzling when dabbing.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Yeah im sorry but bho does not behave like that in the absence of solvent...You can whip air into a pile and vac till a muffin happens but as soon as you let that vac go the muffin will deflate.. the only way that shits standing up right on its own is with the help of a very cold solvent...

Butane can and does become trapped even in powder theres still small enuff pockets to trap residual tane.. You may not be tasting it over the extreem terps that were not pulled out during a normal vac..

Shrugs Couldn't pay me enuff to smoke that shit.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
FOAF developed that process and posted the procedure on Forum X, but the process is simple. He collects the oil and butane in a PTFE Teflon bag from http://www.welchfluorocarbon.com/custom-manufacturing/standard-products/teflon-bags/?_kk=df15a62d-cdc7-44c0-989e-4f865bfb3527&_kt=5850100701&gclid=COfHqcXqsbgCFWNxQgod2zkAcw.

He boils away the butane, by setting the bag in warm water, and then freezes the bag to make the resin easy to pop free.

It will still require further processing to get rid of the residual butane, or you can redissolve it in a polar solvent at this point and winterize it to make an absolute.

No problems with butane and ethanol and these bags Greywolf?

Which Teflon bag is the proper one form the link you posted?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Hey is "shatter" actually pliable/slightly sticky at room temp? My shit is currently... it shatters if it comes out of the fridge or freezer though.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Hey is "shatter" actually pliable/slightly sticky at room temp? My shit is currently... it shatters if it comes out of the fridge or freezer though.

Depends on the moister content but yes it can be.. Room temp can vary.. humidity ect all play factors in to what your oils gonna end up doing.

Leave it out on a hot humid cpl of days and watch what happens to it :P

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

My first butane run I did without the aid of an ir thermometer (stupidly) and after my liquid evap, I set my Pyrex directly onto my heat source (again stupidly), I must have gotten the oil up around 140 or so and it began becoming almost powdery, yet would also achieve full melt upon dabbing. It almost sounds like this is what your getting, scorched wax.

Latest posts

Top Bottom