Sugars Carbs and Molasses for Frosty Buds

• Thread starter darkpink
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
darkpink

darkpink

I looked around and couldnt find a thread specificly about this topic itself. So im starting this thread.

Im looking to get some info on products you have used and tested and now whats your staple for frosty buds.

I use pure unsulfered grandmas molasses at 5-10ml gal depending on the stage of bud growth. i also use Humbolt honey hydro carbs at 5-10ml gal depending on bud development.

my buds are pretty frosty and sticky. i think theres room for inprovment though.

ive recently bought a liter of bud candy and just started using it at 8ml gal, along with the above.

what other products do you guys use?

Peace

T

treehugger

Reality-based growers insist that grow shops profit from real products, rather than richen themselves off of snake oils and gullibility..

B

Bluenote

Reality-based growers insist that grow shops profit from real products, rather than richen themselves off of snake oils and gullibility..

Here you take my soapbox on some of the nutrient companies for a while would you please.

I guess this sticks in my mind today since I was at my local hydrostore picking up my usual five gallon jug of molasses ,10 lbs of epsom salts etc, there was a kid in there buying every single thing in the A.N. lineup. Oh well it's his money not mine and some folks think I do some oddball things , like grinding up trash fish and throwing 'em in my compost tea for the outdoor along with the composted chicken leavings from my chickens and the excess eggs etc. Yes it sounds Rube Goldberg , sure brought some nice results this year though.

I'm trending back towards the Jacks Classic with a few additives ( molasses etc) for the indoor.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Molasses is snake oil?
Elaborate

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I must have been too stoned to read it right, excuse my inference.

OGONLY

OGONLY

Bud Candy may or may not be snake oil. I use it because I made it part of my new nute regime over a year ago. Ever since I have been hitting the 2 per light number every time. The quality of the bud rivals any top shelf I've seen at any dispensary. Not saying its the Bud Candy. I'm just saying I'm not risking taking it out of my line up. I don't try and fix what isn't broke.

coloradochem

coloradochem

Ive tried the humboltd honey, its not bad stuff, but straight molasses is way better, and wayy cheaper.jm2c

B

BudCandy420

I used molasses on my first grow. Used less molasses , and some sweet on the second grow. I liked the first resullts better. It was rediculously sticky.
Happy Growing

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't think the molasses or other sugars I use do anything to increase the trichome density or other such aspects with relation to "frostiness" per se. I personally think that's a misconception, as well as the idea that sugars will give "sweeter" buds. What I think does occur when sugars are properly used is that you can not only achieve slightly better growth, but more importantly, bring out flavors that might not otherwise be quite so prominent.

I have found that strain/variety/cultivar is what makes the biggest difference, hands down.

B

Bluenote

I don't think the molasses or other sugars I use do anything to increase the trichome density or other such aspects with relation to "frostiness" per se. I personally think that's a misconception, as well as the idea that sugars will give "sweeter" buds. What I think does occur when sugars are properly used is that you can not only achieve slightly better growth, but more importantly, bring out flavors that might not otherwise be quite so prominent.

I have found that strain/variety/cultivar is what makes the biggest difference, hands down.

Exactly , and even unsulfured molasses contains some sulfur , which some folks connect to flavor enhancement. I utilise it for the potassium supplementation and the possible beneficial microbial activity and have done so for 20 plus years , every time I've stopped for some reason I've come back to it.

I've even used the dried molasses ( common stock feed additive) in a flowering top dressing mixture for outdoor to a great benefit over the years.

And of course the hydro trade has now " rediscovered" molasses and there are whole lines of nutrients that are molasses based....and overpriced as usual.

So it goes.

darkpink

darkpink

Ive tried the humboltd honey, its not bad stuff, but straight molasses is way better, and wayy cheaper.jm2c

I agree I don't notice to much with the honeyhydro and im using full strenth. I water by hand every 3 days and after the first time I used molasses I came back 3 days later and noticed all the bottom buds way more frosty, and the more I fed molases frostier they got.

i Mainly use the honey hydro for the seaweed properties. thik its only 5 or10% molasses in it.

I used molasses on my first grow. Used less molasses , and some sweet on the second grow. I liked the first resullts better. It was rediculously sticky.
Happy Growing

I've seen those swees by bt. Different flavores, does I make yourbud smell flavored?

johnursery

johnursery

i 2nd seamaidens thoughts, your decieving yourself if you think your getting frosty buds from sweetners, its just carbs to the plant, not like it shoots through the roots straight up the plant and jumps on TOP of the bud! LMAO

OGONLY

OGONLY

Carbs and sugars increase the Brix (don't ask me to explain exactly what the Brix level is) level I remember reading. My understandidng was that by doing so the metabolism of the plant is increased and higher yields and happier plants are a result. Its not as if these carbs and sugars are going to be turned directly into sap causing your plant to be more frosty. I think of it more like supplimenting a beneficial set of elements that allow my plants to achieve their peak performance.

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Carbs and sugars increase the Brix (don't ask me to explain exactly what the Brix level is) level I remember reading. My understandidng was that by doing so the metabolism of the plant is increased and higher yields and happier plants are a result. Its not as if these carbs and sugars are going to be turned directly into sap causing your plant to be more frosty. I think of it more like supplimenting a beneficial set of elements that allow my plants to achieve their peak performance.

Exactly. I use a mixture of Molasses and Bud Candy with amazing results!

rawman

rawman

Agreed especially when running beneficials. Got to keep them fed.

As far as sugars having an effect on the plant. I always thought no as sugars molecules are to big to be absorbed through the root zone but I have recent article from AN stating yes sugars are absorbed and used. But then again this is from AN leaders of the lies and snake oil industry.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Plants use sucrose as a "transport" molecule (k+ ion) via what is called the "phloem". Sucrose is used as it is more stable and more efficient to use than its close partner called "glucose".

Later in the nutrition cycle the plant will break down sucrose and use its constituents in the plant's respiration process.

As kind of a general rule of thumb you could say, plants do not let any molecules diffuse from their roots, but instead they use what is called "active transport" to move the available minerals internally.

Sugars are made by the process of photosynthesis in the leaves.

One thing to warn about in using some of these "Sugar" products or not understanding how "sugars" work, is that to much external sucrose can cause photosynthesis to slow or almost stop. In other words or layman's terms, the plant does not need to produce sugar anymore since it is getting an excess of it already by what is absorbed through the root system.

It is the same as if you foliar feed a plant to much all the nutrients it needs, it will become "lazy" so to speak and NOT uptake nutrients through the root system.

Lots of additive products can actually alter the plants metabolism, for good or bad.

darkpink

darkpink

i 2nd seamaidens thoughts, your decieving yourself if you think your getting frosty buds from sweetners, its just carbs to the plant, not like it shoots through the roots straight up the plant and jumps on TOP of the bud! LMAO

from observations it deffinatly increases the resins, making them more dense, fuller and more frosty, my bud are like rocks. i know it all depends on the strains your workin with but i can definatly see the results with molasses and not just a happy plant.

looking to hear some products and recipies out there labeled or not. i want to learn some more here in this area.

peeace

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

IMO what makes BudXL by House & Garden such a unique product is that instead of it adding sugars to the solution like most products do, it forces the plant leaves to produce and use stored sugars. This effect can cause photosynthesis to speed up instead of slow down.

Top Bottom