Suggestions when having to dry at higher temps

• Thread starter Heywood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Heywood

Heywood

Hey friends.

So I am coming up pretty quickly on harvest time for my Blueberry Muffins.
I expect to chop them in the next week or so.

In anticipation of drying them, there is just no way I am going to be able to get temps down to 60.
It will actually be challenging to get down to 70 and maintain it. It is just the way it is right now.

With that said... I know the ideal range is 60 temp and 60% rh to start.
In my case with the temp being 70, what is the preferred rh I will want to use in conjunction with that temp?
Still go with 60% rh?

Thanks for chiming in!

freezeland2

freezeland2

Hey friends.

In anticipation of drying them, there is just no way I am going to be able to get temps down to 60.
It will actually be challenging to get down to 70 and maintain it. It is just the way it is right now.

In my case with the temp being 70, what is the preferred rh I will want to use in conjunction with that temp?
Still go with 60% rh?

Thanks for chiming in!
I’m drying at 60% 70 degrees right now. Three days in to it. It should go 12 - 14 days like that before the moisture in the buds will be at 10 - 12%. It will go in grove bags after that for at least a month to cure. Just keep the air moving while they are hanging and you’ll be fine.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Terpene Bar Graph

Study Results Are as Follows:

• The fresh plant (in its planted state) contained the highest quantity of monoterpenes such as alpha-pinene, limonene, and beta myrcene.
  • After the one week of drying, monoterpene quantity reduced significantly. For example, the study found a 55% decrease in beta myrcene.
  • The curing process continued to reduce monoterpenes, however, the study found that curing led to an increase in sesquiterpenes such as alpha humulene and beta-caryophyllene.
  • The study suggests that the flavor and aroma of live resin may be directly related to the percentage of monoterpenes found in live resin.
Monoterpenes are terpenes formed from two isoprene units and have ten carbon atoms (hydrocarbons such as pinene or compounds such as camphor). Monoterpenes have a lower molecular weight but a higher evaporation rate

Sesquiterpenes are terpenes formed from three isoprene units and have fifteen carbon atoms, which includes plant pigments.

I'm struggling to understand that chart a bit, but I know what they are trying to convey.
Terps like Myrcene start free evaporation at 70*F
So what you want is to minimize the temp as much as possible - essentially you are trying to minimize losses just like when you put food in the fridge.
Do what you can do, lower is better but you will still be OK even if you can't get below 70.

Cannabinoids aren't really effected at such low temps, just terps.

Heywood

Heywood

I'm struggling to understand that chart a bit, but I know what they are trying to convey.
Terps like Myrcene start free evaporation at 70*F
So what you want is to minimize the temp as much as possible - essentially you are trying to minimize losses just like when you put food in the fridge.
Do what you can do, lower is better but you will still be OK even if you can't get below 70.

Cannabinoids aren't really effected at such low temps, just terps.

Thank you for that information Moe!
I kind of figured my 70 temp might lead to some small loss in quality, but probably nothing too detrimental.

By the way, I caught your introduction video yesterday. I was totally mesmerized with it.
What a fantastic facility and an admirable capacity you must have for technical information in general.

BTW, I am a computer systems engineer and I totally relate to your comment of... if I am to learn something new at this point, I need to push something old out. ;)

Ponky

Ponky

To slow down drying I pile it up. Sometimes cover in plastic for a few hours. When I need to slow down the cure.

elobrand

elobrand

I’m drying at 60% 70 degrees right now. Three days in to it. It should go 12 - 14 days like that before the moisture in the buds will be at 10 - 12%. It will go in grove bags after that for at least a month to cure. Just keep the air moving while they are hanging and you’ll be fine.
You and I are 3 days into drying. Temps won't be as stable as yours though. As for the humidity, what would you say is the upper limit?

steamroller

steamroller

Hang the whole plant as opposed to wet trimming some of the fans or hanging branches that have been cut off.

MacroLogos

MacroLogos

Hey friends.

Still go with 60% rh?

Thanks for chiming in!
That would be aVPD of 0.95 kPa.

If you want to keep that kPa, 70°F will require an RH of 70%, according to the attached chart.

VPD Chart page 001
growsince79

growsince79

Hey friends.

Still go with 60% rh?

Thanks for chiming in!
I'm lucky if I can stay below 80 now. Is what it is.

Y

yammie6r

I'm lucky if I can stay below 80 now. Is what it is.
Hi, im in the same situation as you. Its my 3rd grow and have lost the ability to dry at 60-60. The temp is the issue and the average is 73. Im really curious on how it turned out. Not concerned with how it smoke due to me using it for sleep with edibles. Thx for the feedback.

Latest posts

Top Bottom