Sulfur Water

• Thread starter Nevertell
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nevertell

Nevertell

So my question is has anyone use sulfur water before that eggs smelling water, will it make buds smell bad or taste bad if used close to end? Here is my problem I run well water through a charcoal filter from well but didn't replace it so my water smells like sulfur but it also get ran through reverse osmosis as well, so the water is like 2 ppm but has smell still, good or bad any thoughts.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm on a well, too, and occasionally I notice that sulfur odor. I have never had any issues that I could directly relate to the sulfur odor. The issues I've had are due to the water's overall hardness, carbonate hardness and alkalinity. I don't believe S affects any of those properties.

Nevertell

Nevertell

I'm on a well, too, and occasionally I notice that sulfur odor. I have never had any issues that I could directly relate to the sulfur odor. The issues I've had are due to the water's overall hardness, carbonate hardness and alkalinity. I don't believe S affects any of those properties.
I got rid of smell over night with an aerator stone, I guess it released gas in water so fixed problem. Don't know hardness of water or alkalinity either but run water though ro

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think you're gonna be ok, but you may blow through those RO membranes.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
BTW there is a part you can add to your RO unit that allows you to backflush your membranes. It helps some with organic type fouling but again it isnt real effective with the calcium and carbonates, they seem to bind to the membrane and dont get removed easily by the backflush process. I since using a back flush sequence have noticed a increase in membrane life but nothing like my buddy who has a soft water supply.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
So my question is has anyone use sulfur water before that eggs smelling water, will it make buds smell bad or taste bad if used close to end? Here is my problem I run well water through a charcoal filter from well but didn't replace it so my water smells like sulfur but it also get ran through reverse osmosis as well, so the water is like 2 ppm but has smell still, good or bad any thoughts.
Oh and to pickup on the odor removing being sulphur/rotten egg smell, if you use RO make sure you use a carbon prefilter in the feedwater side as the carbon will remove the smell, here is a little write up.

Many homeowners use under-sink reverse osmosis systems which have carbon filters as part of the system, and those filters do remove odor. This may be misleading some to think that the RO membrane is removing the odors, but it is the carbon filter that is having the effect on the odor.

Generally if odor exists it should be removed prior to under-sink or whole house RO systems for best results and to avoid problems with fouling of the RO system.

While H2S can pass through the membrane as a gas and removed after the RO membranes, it is best practice to remove it prior to the RO system.

Often the odor is a result of a dissolved gas, and gasses will pass through the RO membrane. If the well water has hydrogen sulfide odors, and it is not treated prior to the RO membrane, it can cause problems with slime and build-up on the RO membranes if hydrogen sulfide oxidizes and/or there are sulfur bacteria present.

RO ‘systems’ can remove odors if part of the system is an oxidation filter, carbon filter, aeration or other component that can remove odor. RO membranes by themselves do not remove odor.

Top Bottom