Sunset Sherbert - Blue Cheese

• Thread starter Madmax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madmax

Madmax

Hi guys..going to try out some sherbert from msnl and cheese from dinafem for the first time in soil and see how they go..i will put them in there holes in maybe 2-3 weekks time as the fence shades the area from 4 oclock.getting cold nites still and put them in there mini hot house to help them out.they are going okay..2 have been a little slow from birth so there will only 3 cheese and 5 sherbert ..the cheese are at rear from right to left.they have narrower leaves than the sherbert which are fat..really skinny stems ive ever had...b interesting how they grow in a different climate far from where they were first grown..theres 5 holes ready for them.i might dig up another to make it 6 and amend it and with the 2 spares i might take to my bros,but first will see how they grow..using an water supplement when they are not getting bat guarno liquid fertilizer and aloe & ferment kelp fertilizer..i have amended with sulphur and spaghnum peat moss to get ph down.some composted manures horse,cow and chiicken.bit of oyster shell in there and some kelp meal and ewc in pellet form.ph ranges from 6.4 to 7.0 in the holes i might throw some fine composted pine bark to get them down a little more on 2 holes..using tank water ph is 6.6 with an ec of 0.0 .i will b pegging these down as they grow and will show pics of there progress in the coming weeks months etc..pics

Cheers max
Sunset sherbert   blue cheese
Sunset sherbert   blue cheese 2

MissBotany

MissBotany

I’ll watch, i’ve been wanting to watch a proper dinafem grow. I didn’t get a chance to let my dinafem dinamed cbd grow to its full potential/yield so I’ve been itching to see someone do else do this.

Madmax

Madmax

Hi..thought id inoculate the soil with some micro organisms.the EM-1 will help with the organic matter speed up into humus.the fulvic helps to increase the nutrients the plants can take up and molecules such as mg2 Ca2 And Fe2 and 3 ,are able to b chelated(wrapped up) and transported to the plant much easily..the aloe is just full of microbes and organic nutrients .just drenched holes so when i throw the plants in later they should thrive..plants should start picking up soon.getting warmer.
20181002 164032
20181002 170120

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Day 24 for cheese 23 for sherbert..nites are still cool between 5-9 deg celcius days are between 15-20..reason they are slow ,they are pretty much doormant with that overnite temp.cant help it much.will toughen them up.probably nxt yr i might grow them under lights for first month and get them off to a speedy start..atm the sherbert is out growing the cheese..soil ph id hoovering around 6.6 and i gather it will slightly get a little more acidic when the soil heats up more..
Couple little copper bronze shiny marks on one.thought it could b mg but shouldnt have any deficiency at such a young age.maybe its rust from where it was in the mini hothouse with inadequate ventilation.doest appear to be on the nxt new set or on any of the others.i did think maybe it go a splash of the organic fert i used on the holes in ground to get microbes going.anyway not too fussed.the runt is no good..he had problems getting his helmet off once out of ground.the sherbert at the rear left is the youngest.didnt spout in glass but came up once put in soil..the cheese are the far right row ..hopefully they pick up more soon..
20181006 115819
20181006 115834

Madmax

Madmax

Oh what a beautiful day..plants would of loved it today.. day 30 and they are going ok had to get them in the ground.roots are at bottom of the pots and im one of those guys as soon as they hit the plastic into their new homes they go...all the sherberts are going great and the blues are okay .they are spose to grow bigger than sherberts so they might b late starters but get going in a couple months...maybe its the climate.certainly not the soil..The row closest to fence only gets sun tom4.32 back row tad over 6.its reversed in morning ...as they grow they will get plenty more..i will b tipping them once they get on there 3rd set of leaves and will get their first taste of aloe and kelp ferment same day.
Put up some chicken wire to stop the animals, possums rabbits rodents and the pet cat lol getting to them...pics
20181012 163022
20181012 163113
20181012 163121
20181012 163136
20181012 163151
blue cheese ^^
20181012 163205

Madmax

Madmax

Attack!!! Attack!! Frocking aphids eating my top leaves and anoother winged insect on
underside of top leaves..little bastards.noticed acouple on one plant i had them but now on 3
and have put holes in leaves....Aaaaàrrrrŕrhhhhhh...looked like in one pic one was coming out
of it arse.i have some white oil but i dont go on that stuff as i reckon it blocks the pores on
plant.i will get some spinosad what Organiks mentioned..
20181014 115341
20181014 114948
20181014 121121

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

I sprayed some white oil on them for the meantime..wish i never...pops called in and we went to bros and in that 7hrs that white oil shit has crinkled up some beginners leaves..and they dont look 2 healthy..man ive never had insect probs at all in my 30 yrs growing i reckon its the potent smelling aloe kelp ferment that has atrected them to soil,either that or these plants have a paticular smell..in a flash they go from looking good to shit before your eyes..:(

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I sprayed some white oil on them for the meantime..wish i never...pops called in and we went to bros and in that 7hrs that white oil shit has crinkled up some beginners leaves..and they dont look 2 healthy..man ive never had insect probs at all in my 30 yrs growing i reckon its the potent smelling aloe kelp ferment that has atrected them to soil,either that or these plants have a paticular smell..in a flash they go from looking good to shit before your eyes..:(

Azamax works well for me. Doesn't stress/damage the girls if you water afterwards. Does make them thirsty. Haven't had much luck with spinosad controlling aphids, but that's just my experience. My girls have been attacked by just about everything so I've tried a lot of products.

(Spinosad works great on caterpillars and silkworms. That's what I keep it around for.)

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Thanks Smithsjunk..just looked it up..i can get that here for 106 bills for a litre..on another site i can buy 100 eggs of lacewings for 34 bills .they have all sorts of predatory insects and even buy seeds to plant that are beneficial for the predators..theres eco oil and neem i could try only mentionong them as they are way cheaper at 20 odd bills...i didnt realise you can buy insects that feed on the aphids,spider mites etc etc ..heres a lace wing feeding on a aphid..
Screenshot 20181014 212406

TerpyTyrone

TerpyTyrone

Thanks Smithsjunk..just looked it up..i can get that here for 106 bills for a litre..on another site i can buy 100 eggs of lacewings for 34 bills .they have all sorts of predatory insects and even buy seeds to plant that are beneficial for the predators..theres eco oil and neem i could try only mentionong them as they are way cheaper at 20 odd bills...i didnt realise you can buy insects that feed on the aphids,spider mites etc etc ..heres a lace wing feeding on a aphid..View attachment 836111
Lady Bugs too

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Thanks Smithsjunk..just looked it up..i can get that here for 106 bills for a litre..on another site i can buy 100 eggs of lacewings for 34 bills .they have all sorts of predatory insects and even buy seeds to plant that are beneficial for the predators..theres eco oil and neem i could try only mentionong them as they are way cheaper at 20 odd bills...i didnt realise you can buy insects that feed on the aphids,spider mites etc etc ..heres a lace wing feeding on a aphid..View attachment 836111

I have naturally occurring predators, lady bugs, mantids, lacewings, wasps, lizards, tree frogs, etc... Even combined, they never worked for me as well as a thorough spray of pesticide. But go ahead and try. I thought the same as you and had to learn for myself. It's very noble to try natural means of control. I didn't find them effective. You'll see. Just being real.

(I don't know how well Zwarskii mites work on pest mites, but I do know how little effect predators have in general.)

Lady Bugs too

Lady bugs are shyte, they mate and fly away. Ladybug larva, on the other hand, are excellent predators. But still, practically useless for our purposes. They just don't consume enough pest to really help. Well, maybe at this early stage when the plants are small, but they can't keep up with any real infestations.

Madmax

Madmax

Haha...yeah thats what i was thinking how am i gonna keep em from nicking off when plants are tiny.might work little better on large plant a little better

Madmax

Madmax

Nah ..i wont try em..ill stick to pesticide..maybe if i get really smashed i might watch them on plants lol

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Haha...yeah thats what i was thinking how am i gonna keep em from nicking off when plants are tiny.might work little better on large plant a little better

They don't work. Even if they did consume all of your pests, they'd fly away as soon as there was no more food. I have a crazy amount of mantids when I start my girls. Hundreds of little ones hatch and they're everywhere, and eating everything in their paths. Mantids are voracious eaters. Still never stopped even one type of pest on my plants.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Oh, I just remembered... aphids are "ant cows". I've even heard of ants placing them on plants to graze. Ants may even attack would-be aphid predators. Try dusting the dirt around the bases of the plants with food grade diatomaceous earth. That will help with any crawling pests like earwigs and ants. It's a fairly cheap and effective deterrent. Would probably be good idea to get a DE duster to apply it. I use DE early in the veg cycle when I can easily access the dirt below the girls. I even dust the whole plants. I dont know if it's safe for the plants (clogging stomata and what-not) but I haven't had any problems from it.

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

Cool...I had to look that one up..that sounds the go..i dont understand where the heck they have come from..i always keep the top of soil dry to stop insects breeding in moist soil..
I will get some of that and will see if i can get that Azamax in smaller bottle also..i hate seeing my girls looking crap so suddenly.you should of seen me earlier i used a whole can of flyspray around all the ground killing every insect in my path..theres practically nothing there in the area for the insects bar the girls..

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Cool...I had to look that one up..that sounds the go..i dont understand where the heck they have come from..i always keep the top of soil dry to stop insects breeding in moist soil..
I will get some of that and will see if i can get that Azamax in smaller bottle also..i hate seeing my girls looking crap so suddenly.you should of seen me earlier i used a whole can of flyspray around all the ground killing every insect in my path..theres practically nothing there in the area for the insects bar the girls..

That's my issue. I live in an extremely arid zone. There is a lot of surrounding vegetation but it is all tough and waxy. My girls attract everything in the neighborhood, especially Two Spot Spider Mites.

Latest posts

Top Bottom