Supplementing Urine?

• Thread starter zbudz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zbudz

So far my small indoor grow (6 plants) is coming along nicely using only diluted urine for fertilizer (plus a little vinegar to get the pH down to the mid 6's.)

The plants are 5-6 weeks old, healthy, with no leaf discolorations except for a few tippy tips of yellow. As long as all looks well, I'll stick to this regimen for vegging.

Haven't yet decided what to do for flowering in terms of soil & nutes. The current 3 Qt containers have home grown compost which I felt had to be sterilized first. Not gonna do this for the final transplant into 5 gallon containers so I'm going to break down and buy specialty soil.

Would like to continue using urine as the primary fertilizer. Any suggestions on what I should supplement it with during the flowering stage?

Tanks!

H

happy b

You pour pish in your medium and then say you gotta sterilise your new soil!?
That weeds gonna taste piss.lol.
just yankin your chain bro.if it works for ya go for it.

Z

zbudz

You pour pish in your medium and then say you gotta sterilise your new soil!?
That weeds gonna taste piss.lol.
just yankin your chain bro.if it works for ya go for it.

Heh heh. But just to clear up some confusion, I sterilized the soil because when I brought it inside from the cold there were small little centipede like critters. No clue as to what they were and I didn't want to take a chance on other dormant little guys (although I carefully removed any worms.)

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Urine has been used by farmers for hundreds of years. It does work. Dilute 1:4, as undiluted urine is too hot and can cause root zone damage. There is a stigma over the use of urine and I wouldn't tell anyone that gets some of your meds, unless of course they are on board with it.

peace

ken dog

ken dog

You gotta be kidding me... lol

Hopefully, you won't be taking a crap in it for bloom nutes! :O

R

rascali

i feel compelled to mention that best practices recommended for public health require that this type of waste be sterilized (usually by composting) before agricultural use - but that's animal waste. It's not considered a good idea to fertilize with human waste because of the increased chance of hitting a sore spot with some random virus or bacteria...

indicabush

indicabush

@rascali ...I would appreciate some clarification on this....

"It's not considered a good idea to fertilize with human waste because of the increased chance of hitting a sore spot with some random virus or bacteria..."

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Human waste cannot be used for food production to the best of my knowledge, and I know factually that the use of animal wastes *and* compost are very strictly monitored, controlled and regulated by NOP (National Organic Program) standards, and subsequently all other certifying bodies' standards. When we refer to human waste, we're usually referring to solid material, aka feces, aka humanure.

Therefore, certain precautions must be taken when using urine, specifically (I'm not discussing any other waste, such as night soil here).
First, NO SPLASHING. You don't want it on leaves at all, let alone leaves, flowers, fruit or florets of any produce that is consumed raw.
Second, source. If you have a UTI, are on medication, or have any other infection issues, you probably should not use your urine. This is the only real possible source of the contamination mentioned above. Otherwise, urine is sterile when it exits the urethra and only picks up microbes when it touches external skin and the like.
Here are a couple of practical articles on utilization of human urine for fertilization. The vast, vast majority are using collected, and therefore ammonious (is that a word? You know, when it starts to stink) urine.

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/01/human-pee-proven-fertilizer-future/

Vegans are getting into it: http://www.goveganic.net/article217.html

It is sustainable for more reasons one might initially realize: http://sustainablefoodtrust.org/articles/human-manure-closing-the-nutrient-loop/

And, it works. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959652614000948

Obviously though, one size does not fit all. How it's handled and the social stigma are the only hurdles I see, however. :)

So far my small indoor grow (6 plants) is coming along nicely using only diluted urine for fertilizer (plus a little vinegar to get the pH down to the mid 6's.)

The plants are 5-6 weeks old, healthy, with no leaf discolorations except for a few tippy tips of yellow. As long as all looks well, I'll stick to this regimen for vegging.

Haven't yet decided what to do for flowering in terms of soil & nutes. The current 3 Qt containers have home grown compost which I felt had to be sterilized first. Not gonna do this for the final transplant into 5 gallon containers so I'm going to break down and buy specialty soil.

Would like to continue using urine as the primary fertilizer. Any suggestions on what I should supplement it with during the flowering stage?

Tanks!
I, thus far, have been unable to produce enough urine to make that my primary feed. I would alternate feedings with something like Fox Farms Big Bloom, along with seaweed, bone and blood meal teas, and/or fermented plant teas, and one of my favorite things, Sea-90. I haven't tried Sea-Crop, I've been very happy with Sea-90 for micronutrients.

sixstring

sixstring

You gotta be kidding me... lol

Hopefully, you won't be taking a crap in it for bloom nutes! :O
not kidding at all.heres the royal purple kush flowered with my own urea lol.now this plant did have a good long 10 week veg on chem nutes so it was well prepared for flowering.but i only used my diluted piss @ 500 to 700ppm in r/o water daily and once a week hit it with some a/n hammerhead as a bloom booster @ around 300ppm of the 0-9-14 hh or whatever the numbers are.plant was a tad smaller than most my previous clones and lacked some purple color at the end but the smoke was still top notch.i had 3 of my buddies that knew how it was grown test it and 2 of them asked for most of this plant.it was much smoother smoke than anything else i grew at the time.
rpk on sixpiss :)
Rpk urea 2
Rpk urea 014
Rpk urea

and this was another cut ran on chems,mostly ionic and the hammerhead.this was how they always looked before chop
Rpk normal feeds

Top Bottom