Survey: Is Infrared Diode A Must on Light?

ViparSpectra

Supporter
Hello THC growers, ViparSpectra would like to take a quick easy survey with you, which will take only 30 seconds.

Q: Based on your experience, do you think infrared diodes, usually 730nm are necessary to include on LED grow light?

What's your answer? And why? Thank you.

R

rangabud

Yet to find out as my new light doesn't have any IR, was a little concern for me but the light has good reviews so I'm trying it. Se7000

Z

Zill

Viper,

Plants reflect all infrared radiation. The only benefit you might be able to rightfully claim is that your bulbs emitting infrared will help maintain temperature in a tent.

Zill.

ViparSpectra

Supporter
Yet to find out as my new light doesn't have any IR, was a little concern for me but the light has good reviews so I'm trying it. Se7000
@rangabud Like @Zill said if the light bulbs emitting infrared(Our led light which is no IR, but light bulbs emitting infrared), do you still concerns with it?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

regardless of what was said above, 730nm is Far Red and does have impact on the plants. You can get additional photosynthesis via the Emerson effect. You can change plant morphology as far red signals to the plant it is in shade. You can potentially have a higher DLI in flower using Far Red to put the plants to sleep faster.

When people hear iR they think light outside the par spectrum which is just heat. But 730nm is in the par range, just not the classic 400-700.

If I had far red built in to my primary light I would want separate control over that channel both intensity and on off time and be at least 60W in a 4x4 space or I would just use external lights anyhow. So make it useable or don’t add it. If it comes on with the main light and no other control is provided I see this as a big negative and would prevent me from buying the light.

Z

Zill

Infar red is not part of the photosynthetic action spectrum. It does nothing but get reflected.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

My view of this thread is not a debate over 730nm light impact on plants (we know it does) but as a manufacturer doing market research to find out what end users want.

I’m pleased someone is asking!

I stand by my statement about real world use ability in post 7 above. I have done significant testing with far red and even have an apogee par/ far red meter with a switch to go between classic par range and far red range.

What I see in most lights out there is they add a few token 730nm diodes just to say they have them. But in real life they are useless and I would rather have no far red.

You need to be able to set a different photoperiod than the main light and there needs to be sufficient power to have an impact in the given coverage space for the light. Very few manufacturers build to this requirement. So it’s just marketing to put them in the light, not customer use ability.

Madmax

Madmax

Will this cause more stretch moe through lights on..the reason I ask is that I ran far red pucks x2. 6watt ea after lights out for 15 mins or so .trying to speed up bud onset..it did speed them up 4 day-5days quicker but I was getting 2’ stretch from 1’ without..I had to stop using them as I was losing canopy to light room..

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Will this cause more stretch moe through lights on..the reason I ask is that I ran far red pucks x2. 6watt ea after lights out for 15 mins or so .trying to speed up bud onset..it did speed them up 4 day-5days quicker but I was getting 2’ stretch from 1’ without..I had to stop using them as I was losing canopy to light room..
Hey Max,

Check out this for some easily understandable explanations

The ratio of red to far red is important. You would have to look at what 12W FR vs X watts of Red (whatever you were doing with your fixture) was signaling to the plant. Also it means different things at different stages of plant growth.

In general, Far Red will produce a phytochrome response that signals to the plant it is in shade and to stretch to get to direct sunlight. I think that is what you were describing.

None of this has anything to do with the Emerson Effect, which is yet another use for Far Red. This gets into quantum physics and how a single photon can be in 2 places at once, and how two wavelengths together (red and far red) increase the quantum yield of photosynthesis. It's totally wild, and has been well understood for a long time, being first discovered in 1957. If you like quantum physics which can be pretty mind melting, I'd read up on it.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Hello THC growers, ViparSpectra would like to take a quick easy survey with you, which will take only 30 seconds.

Q: Based on your experience, do you think infrared diodes, usually 730nm are necessary to include on LED grow light?

Necessary? Apparently not, because successful crops happen without them.

Beneficial? Perhaps, but I have to leave that to the experts. It makes intuitive sense to control them separately from the main lights or selling them separately. I wouldn't replace the perfectly good XS2000 lights I already have to buy an upgrade with 730nm LEDs.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

regardless of what was said above, 730nm is Far Red and does have impact on the plants. You can get additional photosynthesis via the Emerson effect. You can change plant morphology as far red signals to the plant it is in shade. You can potentially have a higher DLI in flower using Far Red to put the plants to sleep faster.

When people hear iR they think light outside the par spectrum which is just heat. But 730nm is in the par range, just not the classic 400-700.

If I had far red built in to my primary light I would want separate control over that channel both intensity and on off time and be at least 60W in a 4x4 space or I would just use external lights anyhow. So make it useable or don’t add it. If it comes on with the main light and no other control is provided I see this as a big negative and would prevent me from buying the light.

I have far red in the Grower's Choice bloom bars. It's actually a mix of 730nm, 660nm, and then there's the 310nm. It's my opinion after having run the bloom bars for a while, you're better off running them on a second channel or timer. Emerson effect has a dramatic influence on flowering. In my case, I've turned off the 310nm on the bloom bars. I'm running the reds which I can control through my light controller (and then running UVB reptile lights on a separate timer). Another idea is something like this on its own timer:

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Man you sure put your foot in your mouth a. lot
@ViparSpectra to the point here ... Yes, it's my opinion that 660/730 is good but should be able to be controlled/timed separately. If your company were to add this feature to the lights, your lights will sell. Everyone offers lights with these color temps. Only a handful of companies are offering lights where the grower has total control of when these reds are on.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

@ViparSpectra to the point here ... Yes, it's my opinion that 660/730 is good but should be able to be controlled/timed separately. If your company were to add this feature to the lights, your lights will sell. Everyone offers lights with these color temps. Only a handful of companies are offering lights where the grower has total control of when these reds are on.
My thoughts exactly.

Or an option to bolt on a bar or 2 with its own driver.

Fwiw I run raging kush 2 to get this kind of functionality and it don’t come cheap.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Yes it is important. I believe in Bruce bigbee work about it

Latest posts

Top Bottom