Survey: Is Infrared Diode A Must on Light?

W

WyattTerp

IR = No
FR =Yes with isolated intensity and timer control
UVB = Yes with isolated intensity and timer control, improved life expectancy and reasonable pricing (fluorescents until UVB LED's improve).

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Man so close. But from what I see they are together.

So let’s say you want to put your flowers to sleep faster so you can run 13 on 11 off in flower. The far red will help with that if you turn it on 30 minutes before lights out and run it for 30 after. But UVA you want on in the middle part of the light cycle.

Maybe I’m too picky but I think they both need to be on their own channel. Also I’d like 60 watts dimmable for both.

These bars are already available 3rd party (I have both uva and far red) they just don’t plug into the light making it a mess up top trying to fit everything in and harder to raise or lower lights. Having them properly integrated into the main fixture or bolt on optional bars separated into red and uv would be ideal imo. Perfection would be if the timers were integrated and you did all this with one power cord for the whole fixture. But now you are a high end light with a high end price so???

ninjadip

ninjadip

Yes it is important. I believe in Bruce bigbee work about it
I meant to add more but I passed out lol.

I will say that a light not having the option to turn 730nm diodes on or off will dictate my next light purchase. I want the control, I want the options, but like @Moe.Red said, the more tech the higher cost. Right now I got a bunch of bloom boosters and I hate the mess. Would love a light that incorporated everything I want without being on the high end of grow light costs. But that's the consumer dream, where in quality and cost the compromise is made is what everyone will be watching.

I have seen many cheap lights have this supplemental diode control too, so maybe it could be done for a low increase in price? You could out perform them by having not only separate controls but an additional dimmer just for the 730nm diodes.

Last edited:
ninjadip

ninjadip

Viper,

Plants reflect all infrared radiation. The only benefit you might be able to rightfully claim is that your bulbs emitting infrared will help maintain temperature in a tent.

Zill.
What?? Just because op said the word infrared, look up the 730 nanometers the op is talking about and you see that's not really infrared but more far red or deep red, and has proven benefits in multiple studies.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Interesting discussion.

This has nothing to do with the wavelengths plants can use, but all this talk of infrared = heat is wrong. SOME infrared is heat, but the infrared spectrum is very wide -- much wider than the visible spectrum. Near infrared light is not heat. Healthy, green vegetation tends to reflect a lot of it, and we use it in aerial imagery to track plant diseases and pests on a large scale.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Interesting discussion.

This has nothing to do with the wavelengths plants can use, but all this talk of infrared = heat is wrong. SOME infrared is heat, but the infrared spectrum is very wide -- much wider than the visible spectrum. Near infrared light is not heat. Healthy, green vegetation tends to reflect a lot of it, and we use it in aerial imagery to track plant diseases and pests on a large scale.
Exactly, thank you. You said it, you can't say all "infrared" is the same because of how wide this band is.

Cool info about the diseases, didn't know that

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Technically Far Red is not infra-red.

Far-red light is a range of light at the extreme red end of the visible spectrum, just before infra-red light. Usually regarded as the region between 700 and 750 nm wavelength, it is dimly visible to human eyes. It is largely reflected or transmitted by plants because of the absorbance spectrum of chlorophyll, and it is perceived by the plant photoreceptorphytochrome. However, some organisms can use it as a source of energy in photosynthesis.

Infrared is not visible to the human eye. Far red is to most people. It’s the buffer zone between viable and non visible spectrum.

A lot is reflected by healthy green cannabis which is why a healthy dose (60 Watts in a 4x4 space in my experience is the minimum effective amount to impact the entire 4x4 space) is needed to see effects in flower. As seedlings much less is needed.

But I see a lot of manufacturers use Infrared rather than Far Red to describe their 730nm leds. Maybe there is more than one definition of infrared depending on the continent you are standing on. That’s gotta be frustrating for new growers to understand all this minutia

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

regardless of what was said above, 730nm is Far Red and does have impact on the plants. You can get additional photosynthesis via the Emerson effect. You can change plant morphology as far red signals to the plant it is in shade. You can potentially have a higher DLI in flower using Far Red to put the plants to sleep faster.

When people hear iR they think light outside the par spectrum which is just heat. But 730nm is in the par range, just not the classic 400-700.

If I had far red built in to my primary light I would want separate control over that channel both intensity and on off time and be at least 60W in a 4x4 space or I would just use external lights anyhow. So make it useable or don’t add it. If it comes on with the main light and no other control is provided I see this as a big negative and would prevent me from buying the light.
400-700=PAR, 400-750=ePAR brother✌️

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Hello THC growers, ViparSpectra would like to take a quick easy survey with you, which will take only 30 seconds.

Q: Based on your experience, do you think infrared diodes, usually 730nm are necessary to include on LED grow light?

What's your answer? And why? Thank you.
you can grow with infra red? legendary.. but seriously though NASA funded research concluded far-red 730nm does help with enhanced cell expansion rate in lettuce, for cannabis it helps you grow taller plants

Last edited:
ninjadip

ninjadip

Technically Far Red is not infra-red.

Far-red light is a range of light at the extreme red end of the visible spectrum, just before infra-red light. Usually regarded as the region between 700 and 750 nm wavelength, it is dimly visible to human eyes. It is largely reflected or transmitted by plants because of the absorbance spectrum of chlorophyll, and it is perceived by the plant photoreceptorphytochrome. However, some organisms can use it as a source of energy in photosynthesis.

Infrared is not visible to the human eye. Far red is to most people. It’s the buffer zone between viable and non visible spectrum.

A lot is reflected by healthy green cannabis which is why a healthy dose (60 Watts in a 4x4 space in my experience is the minimum effective amount to impact the entire 4x4 space) is needed to see effects in flower. As seedlings much less is needed.

But I see a lot of manufacturers use Infrared rather than Far Red to describe their 730nm leds. Maybe there is more than one definition of infrared depending on the continent you are standing on. That’s gotta be frustrating for new growers to understand all this minutia
Yeah, I think you were the first one to bring that to my attention a while ago. Yes, frustrating that manufactures use one label and growers use another term.

You are probably right, could be a translation/continent thing. Could be how zill got mixed up

steamroller

steamroller

Man so close. But from what I see they are together.
They are separately controlled by a switch, but the sake of automation you just use one for one and another for the other?
It would take two fixtures to separately control them.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

They are separately controlled by a switch, but the sake of automation you just use one for one and another for the other?
It would take two fixtures to separately control them.
I could see using them as far red in veg thru first couple weeks of flower then switch to uv for the back half of flower. Could work and you need less hardware in your grow space.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I could see using them as far red in veg thru first couple weeks of flower then switch to uv for the back half of flower. Could work and you need less hardware in your grow space.
whats the benefit of far red in veg tho

Z

Zill

GreenGalaxy,
At the very serious risk of being dipped into a cauldron of molten silver....

Infar red/red is not part of the photosynthetic action spectra. None of light harvesting pigments respond to anything longer than 700nm, see below. However, there are binary photoreceptors called phytochromes that exist in two forms depending on whether it received red or far-red light. It triggers changes in plants development. It has nothing to do with photosynthesis. And by the way if you dowse the plant with a reddish light won't you keep those phytochromes in one state only and totally screw up your precious cannabis plants?

Zill.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

i believe we are looking at old data, when was this published? what im trying to get at is if it was measured to show response to wavelength between 400-700 (older meters) then obviously when wont see for example 350-750 and responses from such wavelengths. or im on wrong train?

ninjadip

ninjadip

GreenGalaxy,
At the very serious risk of being dipped into a cauldron of molten silver....

Infar red/red is not part of the photosynthetic action spectra. None of light harvesting pigments respond to anything longer than 700nm, see below. However, there are binary photoreceptors called phytochromes that exist in two forms depending on whether it received red or far-red light. It triggers changes in plants development. It has nothing to do with photosynthesis. And by the way if you dowse the plant with a reddish light won't you keep those phytochromes in one state only and totally screw up your precious cannabis plants?

Zill.

View attachment 1308260
You are wrong. https://youtu.be/sS7aAcacfgk

I'll let Bruce bigbee explain it

Top Bottom