switching plants from supersoil to coco- nute issues?

• Thread starter PButter
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
HeyO,
I need to transplant from smaller pots with organic soil. I want to switch these plants over to larger pots- something similar to hempy buckets but will the organic soil fuck with the end result? I don't care about the organic soil that will be going in as I don't care to save it as supersoil but also don't want to screw anything up for the plant by changing up the pH of nutrients or anything along those lines.

Any thoughts?

Jack Dupp

Jack Dupp

I've started plants in 2 gal. organic soil for veg. then transferred to 5 gal smartpots with perlite/coco, and had good results.
Used botanicare nutes.

If you are running it in a bucket, hempy style, I would keep an eye on the res and drain it every so often so you don't get any sludge from the soil, gunking up your res. I've never ran hempy buckets, but just my initial thought.

Good luck.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The key to the switch is, to me, figuring out when the plants move from taking food from that soil to taking it from the coir. I feel it's important to have sufficient Ca in the coir, and an acidified/liquified Ca is easier (better?) for me than most powder forms except gypsum. I haven't used that for the Ca amending of coir yet, so I can't speak to rates. Letting them get a bit Mg- is much better than Ca- in my world, and is a good indicator of when they've moved from the soil-food to the coir-food. Make sense?

ttystikk

ttystikk

The key to the switch is, to me, figuring out when the plants move from taking food from that soil to taking it from the coir. I feel it's important to have sufficient Ca in the coir, and an acidified/liquified Ca is easier (better?) for me than most powder forms except gypsum. I haven't used that for the Ca amending of coir yet, so I can't speak to rates. Letting them get a bit Mg- is much better than Ca- in my world, and is a good indicator of when they've moved from the soil-food to the coir-food. Make sense?

They will make this change when they're repotted, right? They can't make it any other time, can they? I would use liquid cal-mag along with half strength nutrient salts to precharge your coir. This is the best thing I know to help encourage your girls to settle into their new digs quickly.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Nice, thanks folks. I'll let you know what goes down.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They will make this change when they're repotted, right? They can't make it any other time, can they? I would use liquid cal-mag along with half strength nutrient salts to precharge your coir. This is the best thing I know to help encourage your girls to settle into their new digs quickly.
Some do this more quickly than others, and I've seen one instance where I chose not to open up the root ball and just slap her in there and the roots continued to circle in the soil (totally weird) instead of moving into the coir. I always precharge the coir with nutes and Ca. :)

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

my only thought is why? going the wrong direction imho.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How so, Kenny? What's your thinking on this?

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
I have run out of properly ready-to-go supersoil and have an excess of properly ready-to-go girls. And I hate to keep the girls waiting.

No but seriously, coco with dry nutes and using the regular (round here) tea regimen really start to come close to what I can do with supersoil.

If Kenny was talking about quality of buds- I tend to agree- super soil really punches the ticket

PB

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
Some do this more quickly than others, and I've seen one instance where I chose not to open up the root ball and just slap her in there and the roots continued to circle in the soil (totally weird) instead of moving into the coir. I always precharge the coir with nutes and Ca. :)
maybe the bacteria on the roots were geared for soil and didnt want to change ?I do a test rinse of a 3 gal. pot check the ppm if under 300 I charge with 6/3/9+ 2.5 mil. silica blast and superthrive 3 drops per gal. and Epsom salt if needed

peace and bud
freegrow

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Freegrow, I truly do not know the real answer, and that's as plausible as any other. I've found that pulling roots apart is most helpful in preventing this when going from one media to another (soil --> coir or coir --> soil), and when transplanting nursery plants I also mix some native earth with potting soil in the new hole, or use bare root cuttings only, no transplant shock.

Top Bottom