T5 vs HID

• Thread starter MImedMJpatient
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MImedMJpatient

Which is better for vegging and why? For that matter, if T5's run cooler, can they be used in place of HPS for flowering? What little data I am seeing seems to indicate that T5's are very good to use, based purely on lumens and economical considerations.

Do they really compare to MH and HPS as far as bud quality and yield?

420Gator

420Gator

I use hps start to finish but lots of ppl use t5s in veg

They don't come close in flower

G

ganjherbsmoke

ive used t5s mhs and hps to veg
t5s are great and what i use for the first few weeks and then i usually switch to hid
but since this is in the micro grows id say stick with a t5 if ur space is limited, def think they promote less stretch as u can get em pretty close to ur girls
i run an 8 bulb but the 16 ones are pretty sick

M

MImedMJpatient

ive used t5s mhs and hps to veg
t5s are great and what i use for the first few weeks and then i usually switch to hid
but since this is in the micro grows id say stick with a t5 if ur space is limited, def think they promote less stretch as u can get em pretty close to ur girls
i run an 8 bulb but the 16 ones are pretty sick

Do they promote less stretch than other CFL's or less than MH?

B

Buddy Flowers

HPS produces the most compact growth. Don't cheat yourself, get the best

lambrettats1

lambrettats1

i use MH for veg and HPS for flowering. have tried t5s and compact flouros for my vegging but nothing i have tried beats the MH for making my girls compact little bushes which since this is in the micro grow section is prob the goal your after. just make sure you have adequate ventilation because they do run at a higher temp. TS1

jyip

jyip

does anybody have exp w/cfl's for flowering?? how good is light penetration? i kno w/my hps it loses half its lumens after 1 foot, then the same again..how bout w/cfl's? i am assuming there are both grow and flower cfls?? like t5 come in gro or bloom right? anybody using these? anybody know that is using them too? just lookin for a few quick answers
thx man

A

alphaferret

I have and would use cfl for supplemental lighting-to get under canopy and reach those hard to reach spots. as far as cfl only for flower I would stay away but have seen some who have has good results.-so maybe budget comes into play-its how I started. w/ my system the light is exhausted so cfl adds temp so I tend to stay away.

G

Grow2BFree

I am using cfl for both veg and flower, and am considering T5 or HPS to add more light and possibly take up less space than the cfl bulbs.

Is it possible to use decent hps in a small grow? I saw 70w hps used years ago, but nothing bigger. The ideal IMO is hps on top, T5 on walls, and I want to try them together.

K

kes5480

i love my t5s for veg...i tried a run using them to flower also but never again...imo u cant beat HPS for flower, but for veg u cant beat t5s...my 2cents

peace

A

alphaferret

yeah t5 lined walls w/ hps on top will have a lot of heat so make sure you have good ventilation-would be great for coverage

S

Samson4

A CMH with an enclosed hood for veg gives me the best results. Without the hood I have to keep it a bit too far away for my liking.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
Hps gives you the most production out of any bulb out their imop. I have used mh t5's and nothing compares to hps let's think 600 watt mh 55,000 lumens 600 watt hps 92,000 lumens. Who ever says mh gives you tighter internode spacing is full of it because it dnt hps is just better if your gonna use hid lights dnt waste your electricity with mh use hps.I like lumatek bulbs their awesome best bulbs to use with digi ballast on the market. I do want to try ushio bulbs heard good things about them but I have had such amazing results with lumatek bulbs. If your trying to save on your electricity t5's are the way to go.

S

steelyeyes

I have and would use cfl for supplemental lighting-to get under canopy and reach those hard to reach spots. as far as cfl only for flower I would stay away but have seen some who have has good results.-so maybe budget comes into play-its how I started. w/ my system the light is exhausted so cfl adds temp so I tend to stay away.

That's what a friend of mine does, adds the T5s to get more lumens in the odd spots for less watts and heat in the room. I have some LEDs left over from my foray into that attempt to grow with them and they might work for that. I just need to build some sort of rig to get them near the plants.

Luke OReilly

Luke OReilly

For anyone who is buying grow lights I would highly recommend looking into the LED grow lights out there. I will spare you the sales pitch, but they have come a long ways since 2010 and they are all I use for full cycle. If you want more info I would be happy to provide it.

Top Bottom