Taco-ing On Sugar/fan Leaves Only.

• Thread starter Timtookalook
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Timtookalook

Timtookalook

1st time grow. Had 13% humidity at one point and solved that problem with a humidifier and a little on/off adjustment of my 6" exhaust fan and filter in my 5ft x 9.5ft x 8ft room. Im using 1000w MH for light and using DWC bucket system with 4inch bubbler stones.... roots look awesome!, plant growth is insane for only 3 weeks old. BUT right out of the gate, the sugar/fan leaves are taco-ing... what should my nutes be at a month old from a seedling? Ive tried moving the light up and down but see no changes... and theres zero burn on the leaves. Im thinking nutes but maybe someone has another suggestion.

Taco ing on sugarfan leaves only
Taco ing on sugarfan leaves only 2
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Looks like one of two things to me, possible pests like russet mites (your going to need some sort of microscope), or hot rhizosphere. What's the temp of the water in the dwc? And what did Tim say about it after he took a look? Couldn't help myself on the last bit. Good luck

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Noooo... Didnt want to hear that it might be bugs, I live in Canada and the snow here has just began to melt, I have seen the odd spider in there and I try and keep her REAL clean in my room... Sure hope your wrong . The water temp is 73F (21c). Hahaha TimTookaLook and he has mixed ideas, thats why Im in here Hahaha.. Thanks for the info. And again, hope your wrong LoL.

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Noooo... Didnt want to hear that it might be bugs, I live in Canada and the snow here has just began to melt, I have seen the odd spider in there and I try and keep her REAL clean in my room... Sure hope your wrong . The water temp is 73F (21c). Hahaha TimTookaLook and he has mixed ideas, thats why Im in here Hahaha.. Thanks for the info. And again, hope your wrong LoL.

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Looks like one of two things to me, possible pests like russet mites (your going to need some sort of microscope), or hot rhizosphere. What's the temp of the water in the dwc? And what did Tim say about it after he took a look? Couldn't help myself on the last bit. Good luck

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Hey, me again..... Sooo today, I changed my water, reduced my nutes from 1000-1100ppm down to 600, and added a little CalMag I always use purchased artisan wellwater with a ppm less then a 100 and ofcourse, I balance the PH after addjng nutes etc... (1st grow ever remember) I noticed the sugar/fan leaves that are curling upwards all have purple-ish stems coming from the leaf. I read something about phosphorus deficiency. Any ideas? Does this change your diagnosis of mites? Heres a pic.
20180406 235134

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
No that purpling is not severe and at 1100 ppm i don’t think plants could suffer from deficiency if you are feeding a balanced and life stage appropriate diet. Based on my reads this is as said russet mites the biggest tip off is the glossy look of leaves.

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Fuck! Not the news I wanted to hear... but thanks guys!... Better get rid of the damn things ASAP... any suggestions for preventing them and/or getting rid of the lil bastards?

P

PharmHand

First grow? From seed? In the winter in Canada? In a new clean room?Seems unlikely you’d have russets. Scope it at 60x plus to be sure but probably from that SUPER low humidity and high nutes/ too bright of light combined. Possibly high temps too. The bad leaves probably will never uncurl, look to the new growth for improvement....At least I hope you don’t have russets, good luck man

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Don’t waste your time dude, i mean i hope it is not broad or russet mites too but it probably is. I think you should start with neem spray at once, at least just to be safe. You can go with chemical alternatives too but i wouldn’t know anything about chemicals i hate chemicals on something i am going to smoke or ingest.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

That would be Russets or Broad mites my friend. I'm being extremely honest here, I would chop those down and start over and clean like crazy.

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

First grow? From seed? In the winter in Canada? In a new clean room?Seems unlikely you’d have russets. Scope it at 60x plus to be sure but probably from that SUPER low humidity and high nutes/ too bright of light combined. Possibly high temps too. The bad leaves probably will never uncurl, look to the new growth for improvement....At least I hope you don’t have russets, good luck man

Thanks for the vote of confidence... I will keep updating here as I continue to diagnose and assess the situation some more. My newest leaves appear to be about to curl, but I am going to wait and see what the next row of leaves look like since i just made a few.adjustments... i have my room temp and humidity dialed in now throughout the entire day (humidifier on 24/7 and my exhaust fan on a timer...30mins off and 15min on). Numbers are all in check... I reduced my nutrient ppm from 1100 to 600... and i'm going to top up water with only ph balanced water. Gotta find a microscope I can borrow now so TIM can TakeAlook for pests... LOL. Thanks again eh? Haha

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Don’t waste your time dude, i mean i hope it is not broad or russet mites too but it probably is. I think you should start with neem spray at once, at least just to be safe. You can go with chemical alternatives too but i wouldn’t know anything about chemicals i hate chemicals on something i am going to smoke or ingest.

I have my lights on currently 24/7 during this veg. Stage..... when is a good time to spray neem? Is it okay with the lights on...or should i switch two 18hrs on and 6 off?

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

That would be Russets or Broad mites my friend. I'm being extremely honest here, I would chop those down and start over and clean like crazy.

Really eh? There is far more good leaves then bad ones, and the amount of growth per day is incredibly quick, roots are beautiful... seems like a little overkill to just toss my girls in the trash... :(

Reactions: Ina
MirrorZen

MirrorZen

Because with the damage and time it takes to fix them, you could have already grown a healthy plant that doesn't have issues. And even after they are pest free, they usually don't touch their potential. If you are trying to really save them, it is a good learning opportunity. A sulfur spray should knock em out, I would do green cleaner as well, seperate. Sprayed every 5 or so days apart, switched back and forth. No sulfur a week before flower or in flower. Green cleaner can be sprayed in flower, I don't recommend spraying anything no matter how organic past week 3. Good luck

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Lol goodluck when you look back at this remember this moment here when I told you this. I've been down the crappy Russet mite road, trying to save you time, money and failure in the end. You can absolutely save the plants don't get me wrong, I just would never send those gals into flower ever.

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Because with the damage and time it takes to fix them, you could have already grown a healthy plant that doesn't have issues. And even after they are pest free, they usually don't touch their potential. If you are trying to really save them, it is a good learning opportunity. A sulfur spray should knock em out, I would do green cleaner as well, seperate. Sprayed every 5 or so days apart, switched back and forth. No sulfur a week before flower or in flower. Green cleaner can be sprayed in flower, I don't recommend spraying anything no matter how organic past week 3. Good luck

Where do these mites come from? If I start over, I need to make sure this doesnt happen again. I can't use a different room. Before i started i bleached the plastic walls, and the laminant floor... cleaned EVERYTHING as I am OCD when it comes to doing things right. Is there any preventative measures I can setup? traps? Sprays to create a barrier? How do I stop it from happening again? Do these mites attack outdoor plants? Arghh feeling sad today.... my poor girls.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter

Lol goodluck when you look back at this remember this moment here when I told you this. I've been down the crappy Russet mite road, trying to save you time, money and failure in the end. You can absolutely save the plants don't get me wrong, I just would never send those gals into flower ever.

Agreed. But if you want to try to save it do as MirrorZen suggested and see if you can save them. It is always sad to lose pretty ladies but we have to learn to let it go :crying2: also you can do neem too just after you turn the lights off tho these are one of the most dreaded pests out there and from what i read it is very hard to get rid of them completely so you should take preventative measures on your next grow like regular neem applications, some kind of leaf coating agent which protects againsts pest (ex. Biobizz leafcoat) and you should sanitize your whole growing area. Its really fucked up man sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Agreed. But if you want to try to save it do as MirrorZen suggested and see if you can save them. It is always sad to lose pretty ladies but we have to learn to let it go :crying2: also you can do neem too just after you turn the lights off tho these are one of the most dreaded pests out there and from what i read it is very hard to get rid of them completely so you should take preventative measures on your next grow like regular neem applications, some kind of leaf coating agent which protects againsts pest (ex. Biobizz leafcoat) and you should sanitize your whole growing area. Its really fucked up man sorry for your loss.

I'm not yet 100% convinced its mites BUT a friend of mine told me if I'm unsure to spray them with a product called SM90... its good for the plant and it works as a pest control. Going to try that. Just hard to believe its mites as its still cold here at night (- 2 to -5 celcius)... no flys or mosquitoes around and I can't see a damn thing. Ive inspected every leaf for any kind of sign. Will pick up a magnifier when I go get the SM90 and do another thorough inspection of the leaves. Did a bit of pruning last night. Have a look. By TIMTOOKALOOK..... lol. Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.... appreciated!

Top Bottom