Taking recommendations on lights for flower.

• Thread starter Goodshit97
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Goodshit97

Goodshit97

So, I will be in the market for a new light in the next couple months. The space I'm lighting is an ac infinity 3x3. What's everyones recommendations for an awesome light? Looking at the 400-600 dollar range.

I was looking at the hlg 300L rspec, photontek SQ300 pro, grower choice roi e420 (turned down), or maybe 2 Electric Sky 180 V3s.

Also open to any suggestions as i have a few months before I'll be making a purchase.

T_Dub

T_Dub

One more that you didn’t mention….I’m partial to Timber….can’t find a bad review on them and I’ve had good success with mine. I also like using a square fixture in a square space. COB lighting is considered older tech, but the lights work great.

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
I'm running the HLG 350Rs right now and loving them. They're a much better overall light than the HLGl 300 Rspec. 50% more PPF for the Flower cycle and they only run 80 more Watts which is about 30% more. One of those lights would provide excellent coverage in a 3×3 tent at 15-18" hanging height. Excellent choice going with AC Infinity for the tent, I like that company a lot, running a lot of their equipment right now. They are also 50% more expensive at $600, but in my opinion and extensive research, you're not going to find a much better light for $600 or less than the HLG 350R. And the light is arguably the most important aspect of pushing higher quality growth. That's where the plants get most of their food from for photosynthesis. If you have an LLC you might be able to get one for $440 if you ask, HLG has excellent customer service. I got all 6 of mine for that price each. For comparison, the HLG 350R puts out the same PPFD as the Timber Model 4VS for 100 less Watts. Only $60 more for the HLG. It's definitely worth consideration.

Last edited:
Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
I just picked up one of these for $139.99. (Should be delivered tomorrow)

Stat wise it appears to stand up to the name brands you see here on the forum at half the cost and I'm a cheap bastard.

SZHLUX 400W LED Grow Light 6×6ft Coverage Dual Switch Full Spectrum Grow Lamp with 864 LEDs.

Some potential downsides to it is that it doesn't have a dim dial. Rather it has two switches that control different bars for reducing the light intensity.

I'm growing in a 3 x 3 and expect this to be plenty of coverage for that. It states that the light was tested in a 4 x 4 area so the 6 x 6 reference is likely a marketing ploy.

I'm interested to see how this hold up though for sure and for $140 bucks I can't complain either way.

Last edited:
Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
The only problem with the HLG 350R for the 3×3 tent is space. It's 34.5" L, but the driver is mounted on the top and that's where the heat comes from for that light. Not around the edges.

I do like that Photontek SQ3000 Pro you were looking at. Just did some quick research on that and it looks like an impressive light. Especially at that price point. Not quite as powerful as the HLG 350R, but it will fit better in the 3×3 tent.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

One more that you didn’t mention….I’m partial to Timber….can’t find a bad review on them and I’ve had good success with mine. I also like using a square fixture in a square space. COB lighting is considered older tech, but the lights work great.

I looked at this as well. Was also an interest i just forgot to list it. So many choices when it come to lighting. When i started growing 4 years ago i never expected to even make it this far lol

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

The only problem with the HLG 350R for the 3×3 tent is space. It's 34.5" L, but the driver is mounted on the top and that's where the heat comes from for that light. Not around the edges.

I do like that Photontek SQ3000 Pro you were looking at. Just did some quick research on that and it looks like an impressive light. Especially at that price point. Not quite as powerful as the HLG 350R, but it will fit better in the 3×3 tent.
Thats what i noticed about the hlg as well was its end to end length. I was also looking at the 650R for my 4x4, thoughts? I have an opportunity to get one 50% off from my father in law so i think im gonna pull the trigger on that. (5 months old)

I was also quite impressed by the SQ300 pro, i just wasnt sure of the quality of it.
I just picked up one of these for $139.99. (Should be delivered tomorrow)

Stat wise it appears to stand up to the name brands you see here on the forum at half the cost and I'm a cheap bastard.

SZHLUX 400W LED Grow Light 6×6ft Coverage Dual Switch Full Spectrum Grow Lamp with 864 LEDs.

Some potential downsides to it is that it doesn't have a dim dial. Rather it has two switches that control different bars for reducing the light intensity.

I'm growing in a 3 x 3 and expect this to be plenty of coverage for that. It states that the light was tested in a 4 x 4 area so the 6 x 6 reference is likely a marketing ploy.

im interested to see how this hold up though for sure and for $140 bucks I can't complain either way.
The best veg lights ive used were cheapy ones on amazon, that light doesn't look bad specs wise. Im curious to see how you make out with it

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
The issue with the 650R for a tent is the recommended mounting height. Those are for commercial use. The 350R is part of the Scorpion series which is perfect for tents with limited head space. I would go with one 350R vs a 650R even at half the price. You'll run half the electricity for the 350R and get the full benefit of the light. 3×5 Flower footprint is 15 sq ft. A 4×4 is 16 sq ft. Plus the reflective walls, that should provide pretty damn good coverage. Was your father in law running the 650R at 100% with good success? What size tent was he using it in?

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

The issue with the 650R for a tent is the recommended mounting height. Those are for commercial use. The 350R is part of the Scorpion series which is perfect for tents with limited head space. I would go with one 350R vs a 650R even at half the price. You'll run half the electricity for the 350R and get the full benefit of the light. 3×5 Flower footprint is 15 sq ft. A 4×4 is 16 sq ft. Plus the reflective walls, that should provide pretty damn good coverage. Was your father in law running the 650R at 100% with good success? What size tent was he using it in?
I wasnt even thinking about height. Shouldve known, as he has a GGT 5x5 with the extra 2'10" height extension. He said he ran it about 80% usually, he just upgraded to an 8x8 and got all gavita pros.

Edit: sorry. He ran it in a ggt 5x5 with the 2' extension

Last edited:
Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Hey @T_Dub, if i were to get a timber 4 VS, What color temp? I was thinking the 3000K but none of that really means much to me right now. I need more sleep before comprehending anything else today.

T_Dub

T_Dub

Hey @T_Dub, if i were to get a timber 4 VS, What color temp? I was thinking the 3000K but none of that really means much to me right now. I need more sleep before comprehending anything else today.
That’s what I would think as well, but the folks as Timber could guide you better. I’m definitely not a lighting expert, just a pleased customer.

I just checked Timber’s website to look for spectrum options and the site appears to be down. (I don’t know if they’re still open). But their YouTube video recommends 3,000 for dedicated flowering.

Best of luck with your search!

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

That’s what I would think as well, but the folks as Timber could guide you better. I’m definitely not a lighting expert, just a pleased customer.

I just checked Timber’s website to look for spectrum options and the site appears to be down. (I don’t know if they’re still open). But their YouTube video recommends 3,000 for dedicated flowering.

Best of luck with your search!
Yeah so that was the main reason i didnt list the light was their website has been down a few months now so i wasnt sure what was going on with them atm.

beluga

beluga

You can build timber lights for quite less than they are marketed. They just use Bridgelux Vero COBs last I checked. I wouldn't be surprised that they phase out because of the tide going the way of QBs/strips.

beluga

beluga

I try to avoid actually giving any recommendations or even participate in light discussions... I'm sure you might have gathered why, being on grow forums for any extended amount of time.
But if you have a $600 budget, I would go with something with more quality than you'll find with even 'top of the line' Chinese products.
Lumatek, Gavita, Fluence, Luxx, maybe AgroMax on the lower end. These companies are using better than baseline Samsung diodes and definitely better components. To me, it's where your money is better spent when you could just build a better quality LM301B fixture for about the same as these disposable lights, only with better components 🤷

Just my $0.02

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I try to avoid actually giving any recommendations or even participate in light discussions... I'm sure you might have gathered why, being on grow forums for any extended amount of time.
But if you have a $600 budget, I would go with something with more quality than you'll find with even 'top of the line' Chinese products.
Lumatek, Gavita, Fluence, Luxx, maybe AgroMax on the lower end. These companies are using better than baseline Samsung diodes and definitely better components. To me, it's where your money is better spent when you could just build a better quality LM301B fixture for about the same as these disposable lights, only with better components 🤷

Just my $0.02
So heres my deal with not building my lights. Im a stay at home dad with 2 kids. I just don't have the time. Im also not great with electronics either, im better at residential electric and mechanics than anything else in life.
I also dont have the first idea where to start looking for parts to build a light.

beluga

beluga

So heres my deal with not building my lights. Im a stay at home dad with 2 kids. I just don't have the time. Im also not great with electronics either, im better at residential electric and mechanics than anything else in life.
I also dont have the first idea where to start looking for parts to build a light.
Completely understand. I definitely don't recommend anyone to build; only use it to illustrate at point.

I think if you have $600 for a 3x3, you'll be much happier with something not in the economy range of products.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Yeah im trying to find something i could maybe get like 3 years out of, tired of replacing these cheap lights. With all the cheapos ive bought i couldve bought 4 good lights. Smfh 🤦🏻‍♂️

beluga

beluga

With all the cheapos ive bought i couldve bought 4 good lights.
Exactly.
They have their place for sure. They get people growing with affordability.

Take a gander at some of those companies I listed. I'm pretty sure you could find something in the 360-450W range that would fit in your budget.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Exactly.
They have their place for sure. They get people growing with affordability.

Take a gander at some of those companies I listed. I'm pretty sure you could find something in the 360-450W range that would fit in your budget.
I was checking out the lumatek just a few minutes ago, i can't find anywhere in the US that sells them. But that was just a quick search

Top Bottom