Taking The Plunge Outdoors Could Use Some Info Plz

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Well the title says it. I am prepping for a outdoor grow of some of BOG's Sour Bubble and CSI's Cornbread Bubba.

My question is this, currently the length of day here is 13hrs 4 mins. What I need to know is , what is the minimum day length that will support vegetative growth without supplemental lighting ?, as this will be impossible for this location. In the past I have always waited until day length was at least 15 per day and rising.

In short how long should the length of day be before planting my starts outdoors?

thanks in advance from my farmer friends. Peace

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
The Mod Hawaiian @Og Gong gave me 3 clones;
I've been expecting 'em to start revegging for a few weeks--
just found out it ain't gonna happen...
@Blaze

Blazeimage

Kdub

Kdub

From what I have read, April 20th you should be good to go if in the US. I have a few outside now and they look like proper vegging plants. I put em out on the 8th of April just to see what happens. . Again, I researched it up and thats what I came up with.
Last year I put plants outside after 24 hour indoor light and they didn't flower right away.
But I am new to outdoors so I only have last year as a reference.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well the title says it. I am prepping for a outdoor grow of some of BOG's Sour Bubble and CSI's Cornbread Bubba.

My question is this, currently the length of day here is 13hrs 4 mins. What I need to know is , what is the minimum day length that will support vegetative growth without supplemental lighting ?, as this will be impossible for this location. In the past I have always waited until day length was at least 15 per day and rising.

In short how long should the length of day be before planting my starts outdoors?

thanks in advance from my farmer friends. Peace
You can start seeds right now. If I were planning a grow this season I would have started in February. All day long will support vegetative growth.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The Mod Hawaiian @Og Gong gave me 3 clones;
I've been expecting 'em to start revegging for a few weeks--
just found out it ain't gonna happen...
@Blaze

View attachment 591449
That is specific to clones, which are already sexually mature.
From what I have read, April 20th you should be good to go if in the US. I have a few outside now and they look like proper vegging plants. I put em out on the 8th of April just to see what happens. . Again, I researched it up and thats what I came up with.
Last year I put plants outside after 24 hour indoor light and they didn't flower right away.
But I am new to outdoors so I only have last year as a reference.
You can't really apply that to the entire US.

What makes the difference here, what makes ALL the difference, is if you're putting out clones (sexually mature) vs seeds (immature/unsexed). You can put seeds out now assuming your conditions are warm enough for them to actually grow. In my experience, once germinated, they can tolerate frost and snow and as long as it doesn't last too long they'll be fine. If it does they'll stall and simply stop growing unless/until warmed up.

In the meantime, let me assure you all that ALL seedlings flop over, even in intense, full, direct sunlight. They WILL right themselves. No need to fuck around propping them up with fucking toothpicks and shit like that (sorry, had to let that out or I might have popped). Just. Let. Them. Be.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Mothers day is what I read on another thread, I also read to wait until you have at least 14 hours of daylight.
You also want to cut your veg time down slowly if you have them on 18 or 20 hours of light so you dont shock them into flower. If you cut the light they get inside down to about the same amount of daylight in your area they should be fine.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, you don't, not with seed starts. The whole issue is to do with sexual maturity, outside autoflowering strains.
The starts are a month old. I'm just concerned that currently 13 hrs will throw them into flower mode.
The only time I've ever had a seed start start flowering on me during this time of year turned out to be an autoflower. 2" of budular glory.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

So if seedlings kept indoors start alternating nodes could throwing them into 13 hours of day send them into flower?

Panacea79

Panacea79

Quick question about an 'Afghani' freebie seed that I got from my Herbies order that I decided to try and 'pop' just to see if it would/ how viable said seeds were so here goes: So, as I said, I presently have a photoperiod, female Afghani plant that is approximately 5 or 6 weeks old. My original plan was to move her outdoors and let her grow grow grow and, essentially, let her get as BIG as she wanted to because a) I've been growing Autos indoors in a 24"X24"X48" tent that, imo, is FINE, size-wise, for the autos as they tend to be smaller plants and I've had about 4-5 successful grows and harvests in it...and b) I just don't have to room for another plant in there because of the two autos who are NOW in flower....ok, another question I hope y'all can help me with since I've only grow photoperiod plants ONCE and INDOORS with sooooo, HERE GOES: aAs I said the afgani is currently in the tent, in (I'm guessing) a 2-quart, or so, pot in Roots XXL Soil. She is about 9 1/2"-10 1/2" tall. The lights are on a timer set for 18/6 hrs and will STAY that way, at least till the two autos are done. So my concern is this; being that she is NOT an auto and therefore will NOT flower till I flip the lights to 12/12, OR can't I leave her on that light schedule AND in that size pot, will she, essentially STAY VEGGING but not GROWING/STRETCHING until I WANT HER TO or move her into a bigger size pot or, hopefully, in the GROUND OUTSIDE???? Thanx for ANY help/feedback Well, keep em blue, purple, orange, bright green or a combination of these but most of all....KEEP EM HEALTHY AND GROWIN'

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok, if I'm understanding you, the Afghani "she" in question is therefore sexually mature. Keeping "her" in veg at this point may indeed require interrupting the dark phase to prevent her going into flower.
Also keep in mind that photoperiodic cannabis can, will and does go into flower for being rootbound.
So if seedlings kept indoors start alternating nodes could throwing them into 13 hours of day send them into flower?
That is a very good question, it's not something I've done myself (started indoors til alternating nodes, then put out). I think, but am not 100% certain, that as long as they've only just begun alternating nodes you would be ok. I could be wrong about that, though.

On the question of light, however, I know from experience that reducing photoperiod by an hour will put clones into flower. EG, 18/6, reduce the daylight phase to 17/7, and the clones flowered on me. Make sense?

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

That is a very good question, it's not something I've done myself (started indoors til alternating nodes, then put out). I think, but am not 100% certain, that as long as they've only just begun alternating nodes you would be ok. I could be wrong about that, though.
Probably also very strain dependent. I'm not actually in this scenario, just curious.
Good luck outdoors @jumpincactus she's one beautiful untamed beast that momma nature

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I'm around the 40th parallel. The 10th of May is the soonest for clones around here. I usually go for the 1st of June for most and plant up until mid July. My experience is the same as Sea's any clone running 18-6 has flowered Irreversibly.

Sunbaked

Sunbaked

if you put clones out before June first, they will start to flower and will have to go back into vegetative state . If you want monster plants .plant then on the first of June. wait till the middle of June for smaller plants. Seeds can be put out right now. planted my seeds yesterday may have to go in the greenhouse if it gets cold but seeds are fine to go out now.Even snow will not hurt the seeds. one year it snowed 2 inches in may , the 2 inch plants never wilted. I think 14 hours of sunlight is the cutoff

Blaze

Blaze

Start them soon as possible and put them outside or in a greenhouse, don't over think it and don't screw around with their light cycle, just let nature do her thing. Seedling will, at least in my experience, only have flowering issues if they have been started under lights on an extended light cycle (like 18/6), then moved outside to a natural light cycle. Sexually immature plants can veg just fine under 13 hours of natural light, it's clones that will have an issue.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I always get about two unpunctuated sentences into a runon paragraph b4 I give up...

No punctuation is just fine but just hit the return key every now and then so we can catch a brain breather

Top Bottom