tap root is stalled at 1/16th inch

• Thread starter dean1963
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So we all know this is true.

But everything i read through contradicts it because it says if seeds float they arent viable. The internet 🤣
Lol yeah… maybe they mean if they wont sink… but if seeds are dried they float until they absorb enough water to sink. generally they all sink within 24 hrs of not there may be issues. But they always float to start with naybe the odd exception of a seed.

mine always sink within 16 hrs.

The fact that they all germinated leads me to believe it was user error and maybe some information is missing on the treatment of them? Like adding h2o2, paper towel to wet ir dry etc. Duds dont germinate

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Lol yeah… maybe they mean if they wont sink… but if seeds are dried they float until they absorb enough water to sink. generally they all sink within 24 hrs of not there may be issues. But they always float to start with naybe the odd exception of a seed
100%, every seed ive put in water has sank after a few hours. I would think if they dont sink theyd be duds but idk.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

100%, every seed ive put in water has sank after a few hours. I would think if they dont sink theyd be duds but idk.
Or old seeds… some ppl will rough up the outside on old seeds to help.

once they sink and before they open is when we want to remove them. Ideally once they sink as they then have absorbed enough moisture to initiate germination

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i put mine in a glass of water with peroxide for 10 hrs generally, they never sink and i don’t let them crack in the water, i take out than plant and they usually pop up in
2-4 days.. i’ve to this day never had one fail as most of you know already..
and the seed is never touched..

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Or old seeds… some ppl will rough up the outside on old seeds to help.

once they sink and before they open is when we want to remove them. Ideally once they sink as they then have absorbed enough moisture to initiate germination
No old seeds around here lol. And Ahh ok so ive been going a few hours to long as i usually wait til they crack open. And yeah i agree @GNick55, i gotta stop touching my seeds during germ/planting cause i spuished a couple trying to plant them🤣

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i put mine in a glass of water with peroxide for 10 hrs generally, they never sink and i don’t let them crack in the water, i take out than plant and they usually pop up in
2-4 days.. i’ve to this day never had one fail as most of you know already..
and the seed is never touched..
Yeah that works.. can even just go straight to soil… but the short soak allows em to gain the moisture needed that triggers germination. Alot dependa on the seeds and how well they were cared for.

They key is they need to gain a certain moisture content to germinate… no matter how ya do it

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah that works.. can even just go straight to soil… but the short soak allows em to gain the moisture needed that triggers germination. Alot dependa on the seeds and how well they were cared for.

They key is they need to gain a certain moisture content to germinate… no matter how ya do it
that’s why after planting and a day in constant temp and humidity, i’ll change temp like 5 degrees and change humidity up to 10%.. for day and change again for night, with heating mat plugged into timer with light to come on with light and off with light..
just me trying to copy nature..

D

dean1963

Lol yeah… maybe they mean if they wont sink… but if seeds are dried they float until they absorb enough water to sink. generally they all sink within 24 hrs of not there may be issues. But they always float to start with naybe the odd exception of a seed.

The fact that they all germinated leads me to believe it was user error and maybe some information is missing on the treatment of them? Like adding h2o2, paper towel to wet ir dry etc. Duds dont germinate
i treated these the same as every other seed that came out good , that's why i'm confused.
maybe a bit colder but couldn't be that much i think.
anyways, on to the next ones
and i do think your wrong on the surface tension thing, we all know it's just pure magic or voodoo

ninjadip

ninjadip

I haven't heard to many good things about crop king, most people refer to them as "crap king"
I cant say anything myself ive never ordered from them.

But maybe try North Atlantic Seed Company, cannapot is a good one too (you have to select language and currency) but they carry Anesia which is canadian only so thats cool. Seedsman i was always cool with too, received breeder packs and had my seeds within 7 days.
Trustfall and dragonsflame here on the far are always an option too. Had a great experience buying from trustfall, had seeds in 3 days.
Yes to North Atlantic seed Co. After using them 4-5 times, I don't see me ever even trying another because I'm so happy with them.
Cheaper than crop king, faster delivery to me on the east coast, much better prices, and 100% success so far. Since we are talking about mats, I use a heating mat myself.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Yes to North Atlantic seed Co. After using them 4-5 times, I don't see me ever even trying another because I'm so happy with them.
Cheaper than crop king, faster delivery to me on the east coast, much better prices, and 100% success so far
Only ordered from them once and it was for a buddy of mine cause he has a PO box so he cant get packages, and most banks wont send to PO boxes. But the experience was awesome. Ordered on a friday had seeds tuesday the following week. 🙌

ninjadip

ninjadip

What's up @Aqua Man ?? Hey I have found this not to be true ime. I soak for 2-3 days, if they float when they first drop they stay afloat for me. I read that the seed has this little oxygen bubble to keep them afloat, and once they open unless you disturb the seed or the surface they will stay afloat. Don't tap on it and it shouldn't sink. I have done all mine this way lately. I've yet to come back to any of them not still floating. This has been true for me with and without adding h202.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Only ordered from them once and it was for a buddy of mine cause he has a PO box so he cant get packages, and most banks wont send to PO boxes. But the experience was awesome. Ordered on a friday had seeds tuesday the following week. 🙌
Get them to your place, don't worry. I've done two orders in a week. I get more paranoid about ordering spores than seeds now. But at first I was super nervous lol. Now I don't even bother with discrete packaging add ons

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What's up @Aqua Man ?? Hey I have found this not to be true ime. I soak for 2-3 days, if they float when they first drop they stay afloat for me. I read that the seed has this little oxygen bubble to keep them afloat, and once they open unless you disturb the seed or the surface they will stay afloat. Don't tap on it and it shouldn't sink. I have done all mine this way lately. I've yet to come back to any of them not still floating. This has been true for me with and without adding h202.
Hey bro… they sink when you tap because of surface tension holding it up otherwise they would sink without a tap. They have air inside and once the seed absorbs enough water that air is displaced and they will sink. If you notice you can tap then at the start and they will rise back up and float. Its exactly the same with dried seeds or beans we soak before cooking. after a few hrs they sink it’s dependent on how dry they are, how thick the shell is and how fast they absorb the water…. Thats it

There is no magic to this. just like a rice crispy floats until it’s saturated. It means nothing other than the seed has absorbed moistur. There is no oxygen bubble just a small void between the shell and seed. The drier it is the more the gap and voyabt the seed. Once it absorbs moisture that gap is filled with water and the expansion or swelling of the seed from the water and it sinks.

You can just put them in soil thats moist and it will just take a bit longer to germinate because it need a certain moisture content to trigger germination.

There is no big secret or trick just nature. The seed needs a certain moisture content to germ. A seed that has absorbed enough water will sink… maybe you need to break the surface tension to get it to sink but thats just physics at play.

h2o2 has no bearing on then floating thought

Not directed at anyone but sometimes in cannabis we way overcomplicate analyze things without understanding the basic principles at play for a given subject

Last edited:
TSD

TSD

I don't ever leave them sitting around once they pop out a tiny tail, they go right into soil and decent conditions ....germination is all you're trying to achieve with a paper towel or a soak... soak works better imo. All my seeds floated and all germed and grew... I think that's an old wives tale, it's just science lol.

Bilber

Bilber

I've always been in the understanding that adding h2o2 to water ( 5-10% peroxide/ 90-95% aqua ) during germination aids in 2 ways....

1- kills any bacteria present on the seed.....mold, oil from fingers.....

2- helps break down outer shell....

Truthfully, I use it for killing bacteria......

Tweezers work wonders for moving seeds....

And heat....seeds need heat.....80ish⁰.......don't boil them.....

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've always been in the understanding that adding h2o2 to water ( 5-10% peroxide/ 90-95% aqua ) during germination aids in 2 ways....

1- kills any bacteria present on the seed.....mold, oil from fingers.....

2- helps break down outer shell....

Truthfully, I use it for killing bacteria......

Tweezers work wonders for moving seeds....

And heat....seeds need heat.....80ish⁰.......don't boil them.....
Yeah it does and temporarily help oxygenate the water

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Floating and sinking seeds isn't an old wives tale. When a seed imbibes water, it will either sink when you tap it while it's on the surface of the water, or it will sink on its own. Dead seeds don't imbibe water and don't sink.

If you can't get a seed to sink, it either hasn't been in the water long enough to fully imbibe, or it's dead. Most seeds I start sink when left in water overnight. By 24 hours, they've all sunk.

TSD

TSD

Floating and sinking seeds isn't an old wives tale. When a seed imbibes water, it will either sink when you tap it while it's on the surface of the water, or it will sink on its own. Dead seeds don't imbibe water and don't sink.

If you can't get a seed to sink, it either hasn't been in the water long enough to fully imbibe, or it's dead. Most seeds I start sink when left in water overnight. By 24 hours, they've all sunk.
But they'll still absorb moisture eventually even if they're duds, absorb to the point of rotting if you let them lol... I thought people meant if they don't sink like... right away... I've definitely had seeds sink and not germ, and some stay floating and germ... the beans I just got from you were still floating with thier tails, as were couple other chunky ones, I assume because they have more air inside when they're fat? I don't know if peroxide makes things more buoyant? I'm not that scientific. I bet @Aqua Man knows that tidbit lol. They clearly have some bubbles stuck to them, but they still didn't sink when I moved them and the bubbles dissipated. 🤷‍♀️ They also germed fast, so didn't sit around absorbing water forever. I don't think you can say it's a hard rule. I usually do the squeeze test on seeds that look bad, if they crush, they bad lol... I feel like those ones might float forever cause they're dry as a bone.

20230302 165217
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I wouldn't be surprised if those bubbles clinging to the seed are keeping it afloat. If you tapped those seeds, they would have sunk.

But you're right -- there is no test where you can dump seeds into water and instantly say which are viable and which aren't. I would guess almost all seeds would float in that situation. The ones that sink might be pebbles.

Top Bottom