Tea Question From A Noob

• Thread starter Absurdity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Absurdity

It's not recommended to go longer than 24 hours. I like 12-18 hours. I forgot where but capulator said that the tea becomes more bacterially dominant as opposed to balanced bacteria to fungi if you brew for too long.

Makes total sense to me. Is the recommended usage of tea about once a week?

Will I have to pH balance teas or will it primarily be the pH of the water I use?

Bannacis

Bannacis

I noticed no one mentioned that you should also use quality water, of course "Everybody knows that"...just to be safe... particularly no Chlorine or Chloramine in your water, (most city tap water) it will kill the beneficial bacterial. plus no synthetics, and try not to use chelated nutes, even if its all organic. it will be too much for the soil and will kill off your micro beasties.
good luck

do not over do it on teas. foliar ok once a week, if watering medium with teas not as much..
If you have regular soilless medium you could get away with once a week tea, but if you have a super soil mix then you teas are to feed the soil so you have to watch that you don't upset the balance. The Rev.. Skunk magazine cultivating editor, has a TLO (true living organics) book.
It covers living organic soil, has recipes for soil and teas.
Barnes and noble should have it, or order from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/True-Living-O..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420408848&sr=8-1&keywords=tlo

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

Will I have to pH balance teas or will it primarily be the pH of the water I use?
I do once a week with good results. Twice a week is fine too. My tea naturally comes out to 6.5 when I mix it and I just leave it as is. When I feed nutrients I usually ph to 5.9 but tea at 6.5 works fine. I grow in soil.

A

Absurdity

I noticed no one mentioned that you should also use quality water, of course "Everybody knows that"...just to be safe... particularly no Chlorine or Chloramine in your water, (most city tap water) it will kill the beneficial bacterial. plus no synthetics, and try not to use chelated nutes, even if its all organic. it will be too much for the soil and will kill off your micro beasties.
good luck

do not over do it on teas. foliar ok once a week, if watering medium with teas not as much..
If you have regular soilless medium you could get away with once a week tea, but if you have a super soil mix then you teas are to feed the soil so you have to watch that you don't upset the balance. The Rev.. Skunk magazine cultivating editor, has a TLO (true living organics) book.
It covers living organic soil, has recipes for soil and teas.
Barnes and noble should have it, or order from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/True-Living-O..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420408848&sr=8-1&keywords=tlo

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A

Absurdity

I do once a week with good results. Twice a week is fine too. My tea naturally comes out to 6.5 when I mix it and I just leave it as is. When I feed nutrients I usually ph to 5.9 but tea at 6.5 works fine. I grow in soil.

As always thanks for the reply @WiseGorilla. How do you adjust your ph? My buddy was saying he uses vinegar and lime or lemon juice to keep it organic. Thoughts?

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

No Problem man, I love talking about this stuff.

Oh the ph thing I'm sad to say that I use Advanced Nutrients PH UP. I've had very good results but I would like to figure out how to avoid using those as they can't be good for the micro organisms. My RO is 6.5 naturally though and the nutrients only bring it down to about 5.5 so very little Ph UP is needed. Does your buddy get good results with vinegal and lemon juice? If I saw proof of AAA+ flowers using that method I would switch but i'm scared to fix what aint broken so to speak. I should look into it. Waayne, one of the ultimate masters on this site imo, uses straight well water at 7.0 and it also works quite well so its also possible that the ph will naturally adjust in good organic soil.

A

Absurdity

No Problem man, I love talking about this stuff.

Oh the ph thing I'm sad to say that I use Advanced Nutrients PH UP. I've had very good results but I would like to figure out how to avoid using those as they can't be good for the micro organisms. My RO is 6.5 naturally though and the nutrients only bring it down to about 5.5 so very little Ph UP is needed. Does your buddy get good results with vinegal and lemon juice? If I saw proof of AAA+ flowers using that method I would switch but i'm scared to fix what aint broken so to speak. I should look into it. Waayne, one of the ultimate masters on this site imo, uses straight well water at 7.0 and it also works quite well so its also possible that the ph will naturally adjust in good organic soil.

He does very well, has been growing for a number of years and sets up grows for medical dispensaries. I'm not sure entirely what his numbers are but people are still going to him for good buds haha. I want to say he pulls about 1.5-2 lbs per plant in Scrog.

Like I said I'm a huge fan of the organic. If I can get more info I'll let you know!

Bannacis

Bannacis

With TLO style growing, your soil is living, so you only need to feed your soil. with fresh clean water and teas. with this balance of a good living soil and good water you pretty much don't have to ph anything.
Some organic nutrients are chelated, and that is not good for a living soil. that works, but your feeding the plant and not the soil.
a good balanced live soil has fungus and bacteria in it that both feed and benefit each other. feeding the soil ( the microbes ) with proper teas and fresh water, the soil will ph balance it self.
But either organic or fras or veganic will always be better than synthetics anyday.
I have had good results from vinegar or lemon juice for ph adjustment, I've used ph up/down for fish aquariums also...if its ok for fish, its ok for plant.

A

Amazingrace

After watering I ph the run off in the tray. It's usually 7.5 is that ok for a ph for Tlo ladies in veg? Second round of Tlo still learning everyday also read teaming with microbes as well just looking for a little in put

organix4207

organix4207

I never adjust the pH on a finished tea
If it drops to much I'll water in a little Welches pure grape juice and water prior to tea treatment.

organix4207

organix4207

Can you use teas if your using PROMIX BX dirt?
You can use teas in all soil and soilless applications. Some benefits will not be seen if using tea in conjunction with heavily chelated Chem. Fertilizers.
Synthetic chelating acids reek havoc on the fungi and soil life.

organix4207

organix4207

After watering I ph the run off in the tray. It's usually 7.5 is that ok for a ph for Tlo ladies in veg? Second round of Tlo still learning everyday also read teaming with microbes as well just looking for a little in put
That should be fine , I trust u are using a pure 0 ppm water source ?

Top Bottom