Tea Question From A Noob

• Thread starter Absurdity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Absurdity

Hello everybody, super new to the forums and I'm a total newbie. I'm trying to plan an indoor grow operation starting in the next few months.

I've already learned so much and for that I thank all of you.

I'm trying to find generic info regarding "teas." What they are, how they work, what benefits and drawbacks there are. Basically any and all info you can provide.

Thank you in advance!

potter007

potter007

im guessing teas for the girls and not your self right.. i like ooo long, green tea, camomile, Nestea, Peach, Raspberrry, Tooo Long, three Long, Two Long, oh and Brisk. lmfao

im sorry the pothead made me do it.. I hope the New Years has been good to you so far.. I have a suggestion and it mind sound rude but i mean nothing but happy growing and the best smoke your thumb can muster..

Anyone individual can come and tell you one nice recipe or even a few etc.. But if you go to the stickies or the search in the upper left corner if your on a computer or tablet(i believe) type in "organic teas" and be amazed..

and also feel free to be more elaborate in what you are wanting to know..

Teas are beneficial to living or organic soils. If your soil started out with food or a colony/ life before you actually put your plants in it, then you would feed teas to keep that living soil happy.

Teas are the bi-product of straining natural or organic material. Now, that is not a technical definition. lmfao search "Teas" brother.. and some one with more experience will chime about this "guano".. be blessed

A

Absurdity

im guessing teas for the girls and not your self right.. i like ooo long, green tea, camomile, Nestea, Peach, Raspberrry, Tooo Long, three Long, Two Long, oh and Brisk. lmfao

im sorry the pothead made me do it.. I hope the New Years has been good to you so far.. I have a suggestion and it mind sound rude but i mean nothing but happy growing and the best smoke your thumb can muster..

Anyone individual can come and tell you one nice recipe or even a few etc.. But if you go to the stickies or the search in the upper left corner if your on a computer or tablet(i believe) type in "organic teas" and be amazed..

and also feel free to be more elaborate in what you are wanting to know..

Teas are beneficial to living or organic soils. If your soil started out with food or a colony/ life before you actually put your plants in it, then you would feed teas to keep that living soil happy.

Teas are the bi-product of straining natural or organic material. Now, that is not a technical definition. lmfao search "Teas" brother.. and some one with more experience will chime about this "guano".. be blessed
Haha! Hope the new year has treated you well also. I'll hit up the search button for sure. Wasn't rude at all, like i said I'm new to the forums and appreciate all input! Thanks for the response!

straincreation

straincreation

Pretty much sums it up ^^^ there hundreds maybe even thousands. if you need a link let me kniw ill post it up. Give that search box a try though alot of your answers and more will be there if not you got farmers here for that.

Also welcome to the farm
happy farmin;)

A

Absurdity

Pretty much sums it up ^^^ there hundreds maybe even thousands. if you need a link let me kniw ill post it up. Give that search box a try though alot of your answers and more will be there if not you got farmers here for that.

Also welcome to the farm
happy farmin;)
Thanks for the warm welcome! I searched "organic teas" and didn't find what I was specifically looking for however only been looking about 5 minutes haha. If you could link it I would be a happy man. Lookin through a sticky thread on nutrients page which is where I probably should have posted this...

Thanks for the response!

straincreation

straincreation

No prob. So ill shoot this vid so you can get a basis on what teas are and how to brew. Im not at my comp and it wont let me link a thread on here. Search tea recipes, or brewing. But heres this.
happy farmin;)

A

Absurdity

No prob. So ill shoot this vid so you can get a basis on what teas are and how to brew. Im not at my comp and it wont let me link a thread on here. Search tea recipes, or brewing. But heres this.
happy farmin;)

Thanks brother, much appreciated.

straincreation

straincreation

No prob. Happy new year.
and happy farmin;)

P.s. ill just say that teas are a game changer imo.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks for the warm welcome! I searched "organic teas" and didn't find what I was specifically looking for however only been looking about 5 minutes haha. If you could link it I would be a happy man. Lookin through a sticky thread on nutrients page which is where I probably should have posted this...

Thanks for the response!
What are you looking for, specifically? There's a bit to learn on the subject if you're looking for something specific. Otherwise, the simplest, most basic tea to start with is nothing but worm castings, water and a bit of molasses. :)

Welcome!

A

Absurdity

I had no idea what teas were or what they were used for. The above video certainly helped fill in the blanks. Now I feel I have some stepping stones so I can ask some more detailed questions haha.

I guess one main question is having fungus in the tea. Can this cause fungal growth on my ladies?

Also, what is a preferred method to apply the tea to the leaves?

How much should I be spraying on the leaves?

Thank you for the responses! @geologic, about to read up on your tea post, thanks for the info!

Much love!

S

smoothbud

Hello everybody, super new to the forums and I'm a total newbie. I'm trying to plan an indoor grow operation starting in the next few months.

I've already learned so much and for that I thank all of you.

I'm trying to find generic info regarding "teas." What they are, how they work, what benefits and drawbacks there are. Basically any and all info you can provide.

Thank you in advance!
Try searching ACT also there is some good info on teas in capitulators bennies thread.

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

I had no idea what teas were or what they were used for. The above video certainly helped fill in the blanks. Now I feel I have some stepping stones so I can ask some more detailed questions haha.

I guess one main question is having fungus in the tea. Can this cause fungal growth on my ladies?

Also, what is a preferred method to apply the tea to the leaves?

How much should I be spraying on the leaves?

Thank you for the responses! @geologic, about to read up on your tea post, thanks for the info!

Much love!

Welcome to the farm bud. Best book I can recommend is Teaming with Nutrients by Jeff Lowenfels if you want to know about how organic nutrition works for plants. There is also a ton of info online and videos on youtube. ACT stands for aerated compost tea. The purpose of the teas are usually to feed the microorganisms that are in the soil. The microorganisms assist with many things but mostly to cycle nutrients in the soil for when your plants need them and also they ward off any of the bad bugs. They just keep the plants super healthy because the microorganisms are very good little workers and keep everything in balance.

You need to start with good organic soil. I use fox farm happy frog but there are a ton of different kinds. Then when you brew the tea you have to aerate it for 24 hours with an air pump and air stone. Then you can either use it pure or dilute it. I use it full strength with no problems.
for 5 gal bucket brew
Simple Veg Tea: earth worm castings, good quality compost, kelp, molasses, OG BIOwar foliar pack
Simple Flower Tea: ancient forest humus, good quality compost, molasses, OG Biowar foliar pack

OGBiowar is caps bennies just fyi

-Fungus is a slightly confusing term because there is good and bad fungi. There are certain fungi that are actually beneficial to plants. No fungus will show up on your plants, they are tiny tiny organisms that break down stuff in the soil and help the roots become more efficient in obtaining food. With tea and a healthy environment its very difficult to have bad fungi and bugs. The good bugs always win.

-You can either water tea as you would regularly water or you can foliar spray them with a sprayer. I spray. I like the one gallon sprayers that are clear and blue I get them at the hydro store or home depot. I think theyre called rain maker. Thhey clog much less than all the others i've tried. I like to foliar spray every 4-5 days or so and feed the roots maybe once a week. Bottom and top of leaves is ideal and I like to do it when the lights are off.

-I use 2 gallons of tea to foliar 8 lights. Just to get them all nice and moist.

A

Absurdity

Welcome to the farm bud. Best book I can recommend is Teaming with Nutrients by Jeff Lowenfels if you want to know about how organic nutrition works for plants. There is also a ton of info online and videos on youtube. ACT stands for aerated compost tea. The purpose of the teas are usually to feed the microorganisms that are in the soil. The microorganisms assist with many things but mostly to cycle nutrients in the soil for when your plants need them and also they ward off any of the bad bugs. They just keep the plants super healthy because the microorganisms are very good little workers and keep everything in balance.

You need to start with good organic soil. I use fox farm happy frog but there are a ton of different kinds. Then when you brew the tea you have to aerate it for 24 hours with an air pump and air stone. Then you can either use it pure or dilute it. I use it full strength with no problems.
for 5 gal bucket brew
Simple Veg Tea: earth worm castings, good quality compost, kelp, molasses, OG BIOwar foliar pack
Simple Flower Tea: ancient forest humus, good quality compost, molasses, OG Biowar foliar pack

OGBiowar is caps bennies just fyi

-Fungus is a slightly confusing term because there is good and bad fungi. There are certain fungi that are actually beneficial to plants. No fungus will show up on your plants, they are tiny tiny organisms that break down stuff in the soil and help the roots become more efficient in obtaining food. With tea and a healthy environment its very difficult to have bad fungi and bugs. The good bugs always win.

-You can either water tea as you would regularly water or you can foliar spray them with a sprayer. I spray. I like the one gallon sprayers that are clear and blue I get them at the hydro store or home depot. I think theyre called rain maker. Thhey clog much less than all the others i've tried. I like to foliar spray every 4-5 days or so and feed the roots maybe once a week. Bottom and top of leaves is ideal and I like to do it when the lights are off.

-I use 2 gallons of tea to foliar 8 lights. Just to get them all nice and moist.

Thanks for the amazing info @WiseGorilla! Teas are something I'll be looking into since I like the organic grows. Better bud imho.

The fungi thing threw me off for a bit but makes sense having the good fungus around. Also the formula for a good starting tea.

@smoothbud I actually was just looking at that thread! Sooo much info I'm trying to process haha. Feel like I should take a few botany classes before I try and decipher it :P

Again thanks for the responses, super appreciate the help on this new quest of mine!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@WiseGorilla -- Thanks for the reminder! I've got Teaming With Nutrients on my Kindle reading list, but have been trying to finish The Gilded Age before I start on that one. Maybe I need a break from the Twain.

Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

keep it simple with your first couple teas just to see the basic benefits and so you can also get used to brewing teas.

my basic tea:
Per 1 Gallon of Uncholrinated H20
1/4 cup Earth Worm Castings (higher grade the better)
1/4 cup Compost
5-15 mls Molasses unsulfured organic suggested

that tea right there will show u just what a tea can do, also prevents predators and what not.

and to bump that up a bit;
1 tbsp kelp
1 tbsp azomite
1 tbsp alfalfa
humics - whatever is recomended via brand
1 tbsp insect frass
1 tsp - 1 tbsp ground fine soft rock phosphate (think coffee grinder)
1 tsp OG biowar Root Pack

research those ingredients and you will see what to add and what to drop or when to increase the dosage of during all different times of the plants life.

In my thread i posted a link for a downloaded PDF of the compost tea brewing manual by Elaine Ingham
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/skünatown.67811/page-3

oh ya and check out this site as well:
http://microbeorganics.com/

peace
Sküna

jlr42024

jlr42024

caps bennies all 3 packs, unsulfered molasses, humic acid & kelp logic both made by primordial solutions (producers of sea green) mixed into 2 gal unclorinated h2o. thThe Alaskan humic soil and in veg the alfalfa meal are put into a stocking or micron tea bag rigged to allow mixture to bubble underneath & release microbes from stasis. two fish tank pumps w\2 outlets each with normal size air stones then brew 24hrs. Add sea green after your brew for a spike and its that easy and you should see roots a day or two after use as these here in a recently transplanted clone from a dome.
20141218 040141

Last edited:
A

Absurdity

@Skuna Tuna, thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. I can follow recipes really well haha.

@jlr42024, those roots are looking good man. I'm definitely getting some caps bennies after reading the testimonials page.

Is it recommended to go longer then 24 hours. I hear anything ranging from 6 hours to 48 and I'm not sure what helps the microorganisms the best.

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

It's not recommended to go longer than 24 hours. I like 12-18 hours. I forgot where but capulator said that the tea becomes more bacterially dominant as opposed to balanced bacteria to fungi if you brew for too long.

Top Bottom