Tea Recipe

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
click80

click80

Hm....come to think of it, I do have one of those little pocket microscopes from the Hydro Store. I wonder if she would fall for that shit?

Be back in a little bit...here's to hoping she'll have a blonde moment.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

Hey cap, when transplanting should i put a teaspoon of each root and foliar directly in the transplant hole before i plant? Maybe even amend some into my coco?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Hey cap, when transplanting should i put a teaspoon of each root and foliar directly in the transplant hole before i plant? Maybe even amend some into my coco?

Here is what he says about the nute pack for transplanting:

IF you are in soil, you only need to add the nute pack once as early as possible in the plant life cycle, and again when you pot up to a bigger size. It is better to apply as a powder, not in tea, and mix at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon per gallon of soil to your plants as early as possible, and every time you transplant up.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Here is what he says about the nute pack for transplanting:

IF you are in soil, you only need to add the nute pack once as early as possible in the plant life cycle, and again when you pot up to a bigger size. It is better to apply as a powder, not in tea, and mix at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon per gallon of soil to your plants as early as possible, and every time you transplant up.

^^^ thanks outwest. good looking out.

click80

click80

Hm....come to think of it, I do have one of those little pocket microscopes from the Hydro Store. I wonder if she would fall for that shit?

Be back in a little bit...here's to hoping she'll have a blonde moment.

sigh...never had a chance.

Maybe I need a bigger "microscope":(

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Ewc 48 hours 7

Here is some tea after 48 hours.

The tea has so much life in it I honestly can't believe it. This is a picture taken through a lens the size of maybe 1/2 a millimeter... One tiny part of a droplet on a slide. There are different bacteria and fungi everywhere. You can see the bacillus here in a cluster. There are these really thin ones that swim super fast, and little tiny amoeba shaped ones that kind of move randomly around. Its unreal. As you focus through the liquid and make your way through different "layers" of the droplet, you can see there are a shiltload of species all swimming around on top of one another. Imagine the sky so full of airplanes you couldn't see the clouds.

Wow. I'm having a moment.

If you have seen soem of my posts around the farm here, you may have noticed that I am a big fan of higher temps, and not lower ones, due to the fact that plants take up more nutes when the rhizoshpere is warmer (around 76 I think is peak performance).

The good bacteria will allow warmer (ideal) res temps because pathogens will be unable to compete with them. I may take a leap of faith and replace my chiller with an aquarium heater on my MPB, and add biomats in each bucket to grow my pathogen defending colony... I actually used to run a heater in my NFT in the late 90's and I had no problems whatsoever.. I jumped on the chiller wagon like everyone else when I built the MPB, because I was afraid of getting slimed.

I smell a game changer.

K

kushtrees

Ever since adding the ACT to my NFT spinach garden ive been trying to figure out how to go organic NFT. If biological hydro works next step is organic hydro, ill be all over that

Very cool pics gratz on the scope

J

jw214

Cap or anyone, kinda a newbie to the teas but very interested. Let me get this str8, when you brew this tea he suggests that you put in a 10gal rez of water 1-2 cups of the brew? How often do you hit the plants with the tea? Do you alternate with nute regimen. ex.. feed wk 1, feed tea, feed wk 2, feed tea.. How are you guys applying the tea? No nutes, just the tea brew and thats it? Someone shed some light, just trying to step my game up..Thanks in advance to everyone

Landfishd

Landfishd

View attachment 210024
Here is some tea after 48 hours.

The tea has so much life in it I honestly can't believe it. This is a picture taken through a lens the size of maybe 1/2 a millimeter... One tiny part of a droplet on a slide. There are different bacteria and fungi everywhere. You can see the bacillus here in a cluster. There are these really thin ones that swim super fast, and little tiny amoeba shaped ones that kind of move randomly around. Its unreal. As you focus through the liquid and make your way through different "layers" of the droplet, you can see there are a shiltload of species all swimming around on top of one another. Imagine the sky so full of airplanes you couldn't see the clouds.

Wow. I'm having a moment.

If you have seen soem of my posts around the farm here, you may have noticed that I am a big fan of higher temps, and not lower ones, due to the fact that plants take up more nutes when the rhizoshpere is warmer (around 76 I think is peak performance).

The good bacteria will allow warmer (ideal) res temps because pathogens will be unable to compete with them. I may take a leap of faith and replace my chiller with an aquarium heater on my MPB, and add biomats in each bucket to grow my pathogen defending colony... I actually used to run a heater in my NFT in the late 90's and I had no problems whatsoever.. I jumped on the chiller wagon like everyone else when I built the MPB, because I was afraid of getting slimed

I smell a game changer.

The tea really is very fascinating under the microscope. I've seen some really big guys that move around like crazy gobbling up all the little guys, ciliates I think. Also have seen a nematode squigglin around. It's very amusing!! Did you use a cover slide? It helps to minimize the amount of layers so that mostly everything is on the same plane. Also at 400x magnification (my magnification choices go from 100-400 I would like to get a 5x eye piece so I can see it at 200) you have to get so close that without a cover slide I usually get it wet. I really wish I had a camera attachment for my microscope. It is incredible I've sat around for a few hours checking out different samples. So far I've only made two teas. One without your bennies and one with. The one with had much more diversity and what seemed to be a denser population, but it also had warmer temps and was brewed a bit longer. One thing I noticed right away was there were way more fungi probably because the compost I am using isn't the best.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
The tea really is very fascinating under the microscope. I've seen some really big guys that move around like crazy gobbling up all the little guys, ciliates I think. Also have seen a nematode squigglin around. It's very amusing!! Did you use a cover slide? It helps to minimize the amount of layers so that mostly everything is on the same plane. Also at 400x magnification (my magnification choices go from 100-400 I would like to get a 5x eye piece so I can see it at 200) you have to get so close that without a cover slide I usually get it wet. I really wish I had a camera attachment for my microscope. It is incredible I've sat around for a few hours checking out different samples. So far I've only made two teas. One without your bennies and one with. The one with had much more diversity and what seemed to be a denser population, but it also had warmer temps and was brewed a bit longer. One thing I noticed right away was there were way more fungi probably because the compost I am using isn't the best.

I used a cover slide and a 100x lens with immersion oil for that shot, and my eyepiece is 20x so total magnification is (2000x). Its the only way to see really close.

Even with the cover slide at high magnification there are mad layers. The fine focus knob allows you to cycle through all of them. Totell you the truth I really wish I had an even more powerful scope now. I still cant make out the really small ones.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Cap or anyone, kinda a newbie to the teas but very interested. Let me get this str8, when you brew this tea he suggests that you put in a 10gal rez of water 1-2 cups of the brew? How often do you hit the plants with the tea? Do you alternate with nute regimen. ex.. feed wk 1, feed tea, feed wk 2, feed tea.. How are you guys applying the tea? No nutes, just the tea brew and thats it? Someone shed some light, just trying to step my game up..Thanks in advance to everyone

I brew tea once a week and I add it the day or the day after I do a res change... it depends on if I am using RO water or not.

Check Aliens thread "cap brings microbe life to the mothership". he actually details his fed schedule. I think he uses the teas more aggressively than I do, and he says he is having awesome results.

According to the lab, it's impossible to over apply. However, I do think it is possible to have too many... since they use up oxygen, which in HYDRO is not too good.

The next item I need is a DO meter to test this.

Landfishd

Landfishd

Holy crap 2000x yea you would still get a lot of layers then nevermind. hehe.. I usually keep it at 400 and sometimes try 1000 but I can't get as good of a picture.

C

cctt

Regarding higher temperatures and O2 levels being used up by microbes - I tried pulling back on my usual enzyme additions recently and still dealt with some pythium at 72F. I'm applying spores directly to the medium rather than in tea form, and adding sugars to my res, so they may be causing anaerobic conditions even with all the aeration I'm trying to achieve. It may be difficult to get the right balance of oxygen, microbes, and sugars over the course of one res change, and a DO meter is a great idea to try to follow what's going on. I'll look into one, as well.

C

cctt

I was thinking of using a bubble bag. Any idea what the very best filter size would be for this application?

J

jw214

Same. 1 to 2 cups per 10 gallons
Cap, how would I incorporate the teas in my regimen? Feed the plants weekly feeding, then use the tea as a watering in between? How are people using the teas with their regimen, anyone can chime in also.. Thx Cap. I'm on ebay now!!

Top Bottom