teen plant spider mite and preflowering troubles

• Thread starter Califlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Califlower

Califlower

I got a teen and transplanted it into a 1 gallon pot. When I got it, it was pre-flowering. I don't know why it is doing that, but my friend had it on his deck where he left it out in the sun during the day, then covered with T8's at night. I noticed pre-flowers when I got it. Since then I had it on 18/6 in my closet under T12s (one warm, one cool). Now I noticed spider mites so I put it outside in a tent with a bunch of ladybugs, and the tent is one that allows filtered sunlight. The ladybugs don't seem interested. What can I do about these issues?

What a problem child!

Thanks!

urbanfog

urbanfog

for one plant? I would either and or, spray with a mild dish soap solution every 3-4 days for about 2 weeks. This will killl the adult mites, then as (if any) eggs hatch you will get them as they hatch. Also since only on one, get a shop vac and vacuum the leaves and plant. There are several organic sprays out there, or you can let the ladybugs do their work for a few days or pick up some predatory bugs that will make lunch of them.

Id start with a shower, and a vacuum and see whats left after a few days

Califlower

Califlower

Sounds like it flipped into flower and then began revegging. Keep it on the vegging light schedule.

You can also use isopropyl alcohol+water mixed at a 1:1 ratio, applied every three days.

So should I pick the preflowers? Also, since it flowered, will the hormones be wrong now to use it as a mother? It's pretty much almost large enough.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, don't pick off the pre-flowers. It can be used as a mother right now just fine, but as children of the mother the children will be in the same growth stage as Mom.

The issue here is one of hormonal confusion, that's all, and it can be set right using the appropriate photoperiod. Want her vegging? Then an 18/6 should work just fine. The big thing is that getting it back to a normal growing state takes time, several weeks in my experience. The best way I've found to monitor what's happening and where the plant is at, in terms of growth phase (vegetative vs regenerative/flowering) is to look at the number of lobes on each new leaf.

Basically, it goes like this (when going back to vegetative phase): You start seeing the plant throw triple-lobed/bladed leaves. Assuming the plant is on a veg lighting schedule, after about two weeks it'll start putting out single lobed leaves. That's ok, watch it do that for about two weeks. After that, it'll start pushing out the triples again, that phase takes approximately another two weeks. After *that* you should start seeing normal growth of 5, 7, 9 lobes on each leaf, and then you know the plant's growing normally.

You may see the leaves twist and pucker during this time. While it's important to be cognizant of possible deficiencies or imbalances, it's also good to know that when the plant is flipping back and forth you're going to see some really screwy stuff. As long as it's growing, you should be able to get it to grow out of the weirdness.

Califlower

Califlower

Very informative, thanks! Sooo, aprox. 6 weeks to revert. Can I have it in a room with a split dark cycle instead of the 18 on 6 off?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You mean interrupting the dark phase? Since it's sexually mature, it's the perfect plant to do that with.

Califlower

Califlower

So, before I removed it from near my other clones, I saw one that had jumed. So I sprayed the clones but first I looked under a leaf with a scope. Do you think these are mite eggs?
Eggs

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you tried them? How do you like them? I think this incident is under control. Do spider mites survive outdoors at night?
Oh, HELL YEAH they survive outdoors at night. You should see some of my toyon.

I see nothing that I can identify, really, let alone eggs.

dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

Have you tried them? How do you like them? I think this incident is under control. Do spider mites survive outdoors at night?
yes I have tried them once before many years ago. IMO I like neem oil or Organicide for mites sprayed every 3-4 days for a couple weeks. If possible trim all the undergrowth before spraying. this will make it easier to spray undersides of leaves and get 100% coverage.

Califlower

Califlower

You mean interrupting the dark phase? Since it's sexually mature, it's the perfect plant to do that with.

What about mothers who will bear clones that will be hardened off outside as soon as they are rooted (2 weeks)? Is it ok if the mother will be on 18/6, but the clones on the interrupted schedule? In other words you take the cuttings from mothers under 18/6 but root under the interrupted cycle.

Also, if you have something on the 18/6, but want to implement the method you described, how gradual would you step the timing down, or just go for it, change it to the shorter day and give it a couple weeks?

thanks!

hempmerican

hempmerican

I like nuke-em or poultry protector concentrate(same thing for 1/4 the cost)! It kills all stages and it's food grade so you can use it all the way to harvest...it also kills PM

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What about mothers who will bear clones that will be hardened off outside as soon as they are rooted (2 weeks)? Is it ok if the mother will be on 18/6, but the clones on the interrupted schedule? In other words you take the cuttings from mothers under 18/6 but root under the interrupted cycle.
I always keep my veg-table on the interrupted cycle, so the moms would already be on that cycle. If I want a different cycle then I set up a different area. I think both ways could work; i.e. keeping mom on 18/6 and putting clones on an interrupted schedule. IF you do it right, they'll never miss a beat and just keep on veggin', HOPEFULLY. It can take some tweaking to get the interruptions right, but I like 1hr as a minimum interruption time. I have read papers that used as little as a few seconds, on Arabidopsis.
Also, if you have something on the 18/6, but want to implement the method you described, how gradual would you step the timing down, or just go for it, change it to the shorter day and give it a couple weeks?

thanks!
Just go for it, set the timer+dark phase interruptions, give it 2-3 weeks, just to be sure, yep.
:)

Califlower

Califlower

I've been letting her flower since I had to quarantine her and the only spot I had was outside. She's about 18" now so I'll get a little early bud anyway.

Anyway these mites are particularly virulent, I gave the plant several applications of Safer End All spray and no more webs or adults, but I keep finding eggs and yellow spots. Maybe I should try that poultry stuff....

For clones, is there a particular miticidal dip you like?

P

Protaide

I've had spider mites 2 maybe 3 times I guess in quite a few years time. In all cases I just (indoor) lowered day temp to 70-71 and ran night temps just below 70 (68). Technically with this temp range some other predators don't live either. It does not kill them, just prevents eggs from hatching. Can't remember where I read it though. I know it won't help for outside, but maybe for the future. Easiest way I know to do it.

p.s.- I did try the specific ladybug type that eats spider mites once. but most just got stuck in hoods / exhaust. doh!

mekannic

mekannic

Do you think these are mite eggs?
View attachment 401117

yes. absolutely. i can see three eggs. i can make out three clear marble shapes, two near the center and one in the upper left. i think i have my mites under control as well, i caught them very early. they are hard to follow with my carson scope for iphone, so i can't get pics of the two spotted mites i have because i can't chase them and snap a pic at the same time, but they are always close to some eggs just like in your pic. i neglected to take pics of the eggs i was chasing the adults and got so frustrated i couldn't get a pic of them. and i hope i don't get any more opportunities to get any more pics of either adults or eggs.

yes, those are eggs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom