Telluride Bluegrass

• Thread starter manitoid.
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
manitoid.

manitoid.

Anybody else going to be there this weekend?

Weather looks like it will be absolutely beautiful.

Fools Gold

Fools Gold

oh man i wish, might seriously try though. if i cant make def tell us how badass it was

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Im not going but I sent about a quarter pound of very potent mushrooms and some tootsie rolls(if ya know what that is) with a friend, should be interesting.

"ooooo that good ole mountain dew"

Fools Gold

Fools Gold

cant do the funguys anymore always too much for me, but ill get 10up and 2down on some good love, which im sure will be at the show as well.

not knockin the guys at all though, very good for alot of peeps i just can never find that right amount except on accident:)

manitoid.

manitoid.

cant do the funguys anymore always too much for me, but ill get 10up and 2down on some good love, which im sure will be at the show as well.

not knockin the guys at all though, very good for alot of peeps i just can never find that right amount except on accident:)

I'm the exact same way, gave up trying on the mushies, still eat L once or twice a year.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Will be at Joe Cocker and Huey Lewis show Aspen...

sky high

sky high

My son and a buncha friends are heading that way...

I furnished him a nice chunk of Sour Diesel bubblehash and Some choice Blueberry/SD nugs to take along....and from the tales I heard about last year, I'm sure they will have some trips on hand as well.

have fun, all!

s h

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
What a great time that is. Bunch of mushroom tea and ganja gooballs please!

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

There will be plenty of kool-aid for everyone to get stoned on, I garuntee...and I ain't talking bout just weed and mushrooms, hehehe......

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
282987 10150983277883770 1680367416 n
Sam sitt in with Dels Band
282987 10150983277883770 1680367416 n

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Been a while for me. 5-6 times over the years. There is no place like telluride!

outwest

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
Sam Bush Band sounds just like the Grateful Dead! Scary..... maybe Jerry came back from the dead as Sam Bush?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Safe money rides on him playing coming in from the cold!

outwest

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter

Sam Bush, King Of Telluride Bluegrass

• Posted by Mando Lines on June 24, 2012 at 11:00am
  • View Blog
They call Sam Bush the King of Telluride Bluegrass. I thought it was because he's played all but one of the festivals (this year that means 38 of 39), he's one of the greatest mandolin players of all time, and because he collaborates with just about everybody who plays the Town Park stage.
On Saturday night, Pastor Mustard had a different explanation as he introduced Sam Bush and his band for their 8:00 p.m. set. It turns out that many years ago, on a vernal equinox, Bush hiked up the Bear Creek trail (it runs just above Town Park and winds up at Bear Creek Falls) and bathed himself in the cold waters just below the falls. The good pastor did not explain how Bush accomplished this or survived it, but that misses the point. This frigid Bear Creek bathing was not only Authurian sign and symbol of Sam Bush's anointment as King of Telluride Bluegrass, but, according to Mustard, it doubled as a fountain of youth, which explains why Bush is so . . . youthful. There's more to the introduction - Pastor Mustard went on and on, even giving away a Slim Whitman vinyl in a gesture of dubious generosity and unclear relevance - but that’s the gist of it.
After Pastor Mustard finished, Sam Bush walked out on stage with his band and showed the real reason he’s King of Telluride. Like any good king, he’s a leader, in this case the leader of an excellent band that includes bass player Todd Parks, drummer Chris Brown, guitarist Steven Mougin and Scott Vestal on banjo. Quite an ensemble.
Bush and his band opened with Memphis In The Meantime, the John Hiatt song. They followed that with tunes by Doc Watson, Peter Rowan, Tim Krekel and Earl Scruggs. After that, they launched into a rocking bluegrass version of I've Just Seen A Face. The crowd, which was already completely on board, would have been up for a Bear Creek baptism at this point - Pastor Mustard, where were you when we needed you?
After that came Riding That Bluegrass Train, then Bush and company brought the crowd a little closer to home with a Sam Bush/Jeff Black tune called Circles Around Me. The song asks the question of how we ever got this far, and includes some Telluride specific imagery: "High in Telluride, up on Bridal Veil, ten thousand feet above the sound." You would have thought that he would have plugged in a reference to the Bear Creek experience. Then I started thinking that Bridal Veil wasn't a specific reference but referred generally to waterfalls in the area, which might mean that it really is a reference to the Bear Creek baptism. Verification of the myth. Pastor Mustard, any thoughts? Following that, the band launches into Townes Van Zandt's White Freightliner. Everybody is dancing by now, seemingly oblivious to the interpretive issues presented by the previous song.
After introducing the band, Bush brings Jerry Douglas on stage, commenting that they live within a mile of each other in Nashville, but come to Telluride to play together. They move into the blues and then transition to Sailin' Shoes, then back to the blues, as in Crossroads, then back to Sailin' Shoes. My son Matt, who's 18 and attending his sixth festival, said to me, "Only Sam Bush would pull all that together." As it turned out, he was just getting started.
Jeff Austin and Dave Johnston (Yonder Mountain String Band), Bela Fleck, Jonathan Edwards (yes, the Sunshine (Go Away Today) guy) and Jerry Douglas are on stage with Bush and band for Cripple Creek in tribute to Levon Helm. I love The Weight but it was great to see them play Cripple Creek instead. And play it they did. Everyone got into the act, with Edwards even playing a little harmonica.
All this had to come to an end, eventually. The bottom of the show, if you will. Big Bottom, the Spinal Tap song, took us all to the bottom together. Bush strolls out on stage with a bass guitar (which he will eventually play with a slide). Ben Kaufmann of Yonder brings his bass, and then there's Edgar Meyer and his stand up. All told I counted 5 bass players on stage, jamming out. Only in Telluride, and only by the King.
Now I think I'll go up on Bear Creek, take a little dip. It can't hurt.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
487360 10150988379333770 2011245825 n
487360 10150988379333770 2011245825 n

John Cowan, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush backstage, Telluride

Top Bottom