temp swings; cool temps w lights on good?

• Thread starter mdTHC420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Misterdirt

Misterdirt

In my situation, my grow options are extremely limited. I built a 5'wide x 6'long x 7'high room in my non-climate controlled attic, and insulated the hell out of it. It is heated only by the light. When it gets too hot, an exhaust fan kicks in. I can only grow in the 6 cooler months of the year, because it gets over 110 F during the day in summer. I grow in soil up there, for a number of reasons.

The end result is that I can adjust the daytime temperatures (daytime meaning when the light is on, which is actually at night) but I'm at the mercy of the outside temperatures when the light is off.

In 'normal' winters, this means 80 F during 'light on', and sinking to 50 or 60 F during 'light off.' This colder winter has meant the temps go down into the 40s sometimes.

I assume growth would be better if temps did not sink so low at night, but I still get about 300 - 400g of high quality manicured bud after each grow. I have not noticed any diseases or other issues.

A rule of thumb in biology is that for every 10 degree F increase in temperature above 50 F, biological activity doubles. (When it gets much above 90F, other factors come into play.) What I've noticed is that it takes about a week longer for my plants to finish flowering than the same strains take other people.

It just so happens I've never grown a strain up there that tends to turn color during flowering. I believe I'd get some great colors up there when I try out some of those colorful strains.

budboy299

budboy299

I just experienced the very thing you guys were talking about....

very cold temps at lights off, mid-low 50's, and pots were on the concrete floor which made the root zone very cool.
First 2 weeks plants stretched normally and stems thick as could be, was totally stoked. Then I started noticing the budset was really lacking. They stayed small and far apart, never really filling in.
Veg does not seem as critical for the temps but man at budding time, the flowers just simply do not want to push out. I am 6 weeks into bud and way too late to see alot of improvement but next time the pots will be on a couple inches of insulation and a small heater in there with them...especially early in bud when the flowers are just starting to form. I think late in flower, the majority of the flowers are already there, its simply getting them to swell huge!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Don't forget that the Electric Blanket Sandwich can do a very good job of keeping root-zone temps up, and for much less electricity.

Misterdirt

Misterdirt

I just experienced the very thing you guys were talking about....

very cold temps at lights off, mid-low 50's, and pots were on the concrete floor which made the root zone very cool.

Yikes! I'll bet the root zone rarely heated up much past 50.

I haven't run into a problem like that, since the girls are in the attic. The soil is probably warmer than the air, during light-off.

Top Bottom