temps...is 83 to hott!!!

• Thread starter yolo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
yolo

yolo

So springs here and the days are getting warmer....my grow rooms reaching 83-84...is this to hot for my girls?...and if i cant raise the lights any more can i lay the plant down or bend .pinch.low stress train in flower?

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

All i've noticed in higher temps they seem to drink more.

K

kushtrees

If your not adding co2 you want your temps around 75-78. The higher your temps the more likely you will run into heat stress and vapor pressure deficit issues, these will both decrease your yield. Having the plants lower from the lights will only help a little, the heat will still be in your rooms. Can you exhaust mOre? Or are your outside temps always really high as well?

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

That's pretty hot but if ur plants r strong they should b ok.. But if there weak then the stress could fuck them up they could even go hermie or produce very low or ugly buds.. They mite super fox tail on u.. My tent reaches that temp 2 but only 4 a few hrs a day & my plants r super strong so there ok.. But I had 2 chuck the weaker strains that didn't like the heat.. & yea u sure can bend them & LST them..

Dodge

Dodge

One big concern when you get high temps is actually the temp when the light is off. If you have a big difference in your day and night temps then your plants will suffer for it. I do not know a lot, but this lesson I learned the hard way. In nature the plants are exposed to high temps often.... just watch out for repeated severe temp changes as this is problematic.

yolo

yolo

My temps drop to bout 72 whent its sleep time...but when the lights are on then yup the temps start to rise... Iv kinda played with the branchs and tryd to lower them and im trying to get even more air flow in n out...dnt have lots of eqpt. Low budget grow with a 400 w hps.. Iv low stressd sum tops ...oh and its def drinking lots more now then days 20-30..its round day 34 now

squiggly

squiggly

You're getting there.

I think temperature has quite a bit more to do with regulating terpene, and thereby THC, production than people give it credit for. In the various biochemistry classes I took as an undergrad it is clear that many systems in living things operate at-or-near equilibrium.

In the picture here what you see is a diagram setting gluconeogenesis (sugar production--anabolic) vs. glycolysis (sugar break down--catabolic).

The rubric for reading the diagram is the following:

1. Where you see curved lines (there are 3 places) each line represents a reaction that is catalyzed in one direction by a specific enzyme. These are the control points in this metabolic pathway. If we didn't have these control points you'd end up with what is called a futile cycle. So for instance, the reaction which yields fructose-1,6-bisphosphate from fructose-6-phosphate is catalyzed by phosphofructokinase-1 (PFK-1). The reaction yielding fructose-6-phosphate is catalyzed by fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase. These enzymes are reciprocally controlled, which means cellular conditions which flip one enzyme on--turn the other one off.

2. Where you see straight lines up and down, those reactions are catalyzed by the same enzyme in both directions (and in the same active site). They operate according to an equilibrium constant (which is experimentally determined). If you take some of A away, you will end up losing some B to make more A such that equilibrium is re-established. Same way it works on a hand scale.

Knowing that terpenes are both heat and light sensitive (and that it is very likely an overabundance of terpene precursors [like farnesyl pyrophosphate] which ultimately switches on a pathway leading to THC) it is important to consider the rate at which you are degrading these compounds.

For this reason both optimal temperature, and optimal light cycle are quite strain dependent. My advice to all farmers is to do some very careful playing with both of these values in order to truly "dial in" a strain. Every strain will have different concentrations of enzymes (due to different nutrient availabilities/uptake potential) and other biomolecules. These really are individuals to a much greater extent than we treat them as such.

I am sleight of build at about 130lbs and 5'9". For my whole life I have eaten like a fucking monster (to my larger friends great surprise) and I couldn't gain 25 pounds to save the baby jesus.

My diet literally consists of italian beef, hot dogs, cheese fries, and pizza. In high school, during my soccer playing heyday--I ate a full 1.5lbs hamburger helper each day, drank a gallon of whole milk, (ultimately somewhere around 6,000 calories) and worked out like a beast to ultimately gain less than a pound a month--and never to exceed a gain of 11 pounds total.

I lost every bit of that weight and a further 15 pounds within 7-8 months of dropping out of school and ceasing exercise/crazy diet.

Plants are perhaps slightly less complex creatures than we, but in biological terms the difference is probably not *so* vast that we can nail down anything but the mean optimum temperature (rather than an absolute value).

Dephect

Dephect

Maybe its time to get a small/medium AC? I know I just plugged mine in as soon as the thermometer was reading 85-85F under the canopy. Now we are back to a cool 70F and it drops to about 68F at night, it also keeps the RH right at 25%-30%.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
you need to raise your humidity to 60-70% at those temps ad your plants will be fine. Also, like others said a big difference is temps from night to day can cause issues. Best to keep it the same temp night and day if you can.

chief greenthum

chief greenthum

With co2 and some air movement you should be chillin. But if ur not running co2, try to drop that temp. Preferably with an ac but if u can't afford it you can always turn the light off for an hour in the middle of the day to drop the temps, just remember to keep a side light on during ur cooling period so u don't stress those plants out.
Good luck. Chief

yolo

yolo

Does any one agree? Should i turn my light off? Its day 56now flowering buds look super frosty but still no major weught gains no big colas

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

High temps can/will cause, stretched out fluffy flowers.

I wouldn't harvest early, use a hand held scope and check those trichs to determine when to harvest.

R

recreationaluse

like caress said high temps will cause stretched out fluffy flowers. and unlike what everyone says on here when i was facing high temps of low and mid 80's, I made sure that there WAS a difference between day and night temps. I found a 10 degree difference of temperature at night was very helpful with plants dealing with heat stress. My thinking was, how much better i feel when i work in the sun all day only to come home at night to a cool house. if i had a good night(cool, comfortable) I would easily wake up the next morning ready for work... OK SO BAD ANALOGY, BUT IT WORKED FOR ME.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
High temps can/will cause, stretched out fluffy flowers.

I wouldn't harvest early, use a hand held scope and check those trichs to determine when to harvest.

YES. Environment, Environment, Environment is everything. There are a million details that go into a productive grow, especially in the plant environment. The more understanding you have about dialing in all those details, the better your final product will be. The right temps, humidity, and air flow, will go a long way in growing great herb.

outwest

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If I was you I would put a fan in between the light and the canopy, just under the bulb to help blow out the heat that it generates. Maybe buy a $5 six inch fan and hang it from whatever you are hanging your light from and make sure its blowing directly under the bulb and out of your grow space. IMO thats the best way of dealing with the heat from a light if you can't afford anything else, you should invest in an A/C unit as soon as you have the $. A 5,000 btu window unit will cost about $100-$130 but if you go on Craigslist you could probably find one ALOT less expensive (obviously used). Good luck and keep growing bro!!

barewithme

barewithme

Bringing the temps down is advisable. Being that hot for a short period of time shouldn't be a problem, but you want them to be on average lower than that.

R

recreationaluse

also wanted to add temps are tricky. where is your thermometer located? how much ventilation do you have? what are your humidity levels? I have found that with higher temps most plants will like LOWER humidity levels. This is constantly debated as people see there plants "thriving" with high temps and high humidity, but what most fail to realize is that they are just stretching and the buds will do the same(hence the fluffiness). if you can lower humidity down, stretching should stop or at least drastically slow down during high temps. ventilation and air flow is the key when dealing with high temps

Chobble

Chobble

You're getting there.

I think temperature has quite a bit more to do with regulating terpene, and thereby THC, production than people give it credit for. In the various biochemistry classes I took as an undergrad it is clear that many systems in living things operate at-or-near equilibrium.

In the picture here what you see is a diagram setting gluconeogenesis (sugar production--anabolic) vs. glycolysis (sugar break down--catabolic).

The rubric for reading the diagram is the following:

1. Where you see curved lines (there are 3 places) each line represents a reaction that is catalyzed in one direction by a specific enzyme. These are the control points in this metabolic pathway. If we didn't have these control points you'd end up with what is called a futile cycle. So for instance, the reaction which yields fructose-1,6-bisphosphate from fructose-6-phosphate is catalyzed by phosphofructokinase-1 (PFK-1). The reaction yielding fructose-6-phosphate is catalyzed by fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase. These enzymes are reciprocally controlled, which means cellular conditions which flip one enzyme on--turn the other one off.

2. Where you see straight lines up and down, those reactions are catalyzed by the same enzyme in both directions (and in the same active site). They operate according to an equilibrium constant (which is experimentally determined). If you take some of A away, you will end up losing some B to make more A such that equilibrium is re-established. Same way it works on a hand scale.

Knowing that terpenes are both heat and light sensitive (and that it is very likely an overabundance of terpene precursors [like farnesyl pyrophosphate] which ultimately switches on a pathway leading to THC) it is important to consider the rate at which you are degrading these compounds.

For this reason both optimal temperature, and optimal light cycle are quite strain dependent. My advice to all farmers is to do some very careful playing with both of these values in order to truly "dial in" a strain. Every strain will have different concentrations of enzymes (due to different nutrient availabilities/uptake potential) and other biomolecules. These really are individuals to a much greater extent than we treat them as such.

I am sleight of build at about 130lbs and 5'9". For my whole life I have eaten like a fucking monster (to my larger friends great surprise) and I couldn't gain 25 pounds to save the baby jesus.

My diet literally consists of italian beef, hot dogs, cheese fries, and pizza. In high school, during my soccer playing heyday--I ate a full 1.5lbs hamburger helper each day, drank a gallon of whole milk, (ultimately somewhere around 6,000 calories) and worked out like a beast to ultimately gain less than a pound a month--and never to exceed a gain of 11 pounds total.

I lost every bit of that weight and a further 15 pounds within 7-8 months of dropping out of school and ceasing exercise/crazy diet.

Plants are perhaps slightly less complex creatures than we, but in biological terms the difference is probably not *so* vast that we can nail down anything but the mean optimum temperature (rather than an absolute value).

Genetics Genetics Genetics... I've really stopped attributing any level in THC etc to growing methods. Now Resin gland count etc can definitely be increased by Heat/Lower RH. Especially in Indicas from Drier climates (like Afghanistan...)

Now me and some other colleagues would like to argue differently. All of our gardens are in the cool coastal climate where we're lucky if it gets above 80 for 5 days out of the season. Welcome to Santa Cruz California, Where some amazing pot is grown. I just say this because temperature has a few main effects but I dont believe THC and other Cannabinoids production is increased by heat, As I have never seen large differnces(More then 1-2% THC/Total Cannabinoid variations on a lot of phenos I've grown ranging from Outdoor to indoor)...

Plant Growth/Metabolism: The plant can use more water and do more when its hot. At a certain temperature depending on the strain this starts to fall off. Somewhere around 80-90 Degrees depending.(If outdoors put your plants in the shade from noon to two to keep them from getting to hot)

Room Humidity(Outside Humidity)/Osmosis: Your plant drinks more when its hot because... Most likely the humidity is lower. Following the rules of Osmosis Molecules attempt to move to the environment where there are less of them, Thus the plant presperates loosing water.

Squiggly I do have to say, It's always a pleasure reading your posts!

Chobble

nebulius

nebulius

Stuff I read from various grow books.

Ideal temp is 72-76°F with variations from 5-10°F ok, larger variations in temp. increases chances of having issues. Plants produce maximum growth when exposed to a day temperature that is about 5 to 10°F higher than the night temperature. This allows the plant to photosynthesize (build up) and respire (break down) during an optimum daytime temperature, and to curtail the rate of respiration during a cooler night.

Temps above 85°F slows plant growth. Cannabis regulates it's oxygen uptake in relation to the ambient air temperature. High temperatures cause increased respiration, sometimes above the rate of photosynthesis. This means that the products of photosynthesis are being used more rapidly than they are being produced. For growth to occur, photosynthesis must be greater than respiration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom