Termites

• Thread starter delae632
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
I've got termites in my garage and I've been dreading asking the question for far too long now. Do any of you know if I can get the garage tented with my grow in it? What do they fumigate with and will it have a negative effect on cannabis plants? I'd REALLY like to get this done and not have to tear my whole grow down unless I absolutely HAVE to.

Thanks in advance.

D

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
DO NOT FUMIGATE WITH PLANTS IN THE ROOM!

Sorry caps..

Marijuana is an accumulator plant it will absorb everything in the air..

But will it actually effect the plants? I'm not worried about my mothers getting fumigated to be honest. I just don't have anywhere to move everything during the process which is why I ask. I'm guessing it wont actually harm the plants since people have indoor plants all over their houses during fumigation. Don't they say you can eat off your dishes and such after fumigation? Do you know what it is they spray? How bad is it really? I can't do the whole rent a uhaul to stash your shit gig as I own this house and have lived here for 11 years. My neighbors will most definitely ask questions. I'm more concerned with the logistics. Will it harm my plants? Do they have to have access to all the separate rooms, etc. ? I'm ignorant to the process and am looking for first hand experience.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Read a cpl quick google searchs , one guy had it done without isolating his plants and they all died..

I don't know what chemical they use, but unless its an inert gas like co2, Its going to harm ya plants im pretty sure.

Fumigation Process
Fumigation eliminates termites in the structure, not the colony hidden in the soil below. After tenting the entire structure, fumigants, such as sulfuryl fluoride, fill the space to kill off termites. This tenting only covers the structure; outdoor garden plants are not in danger. Indoor plants should be removed before fumigation starts, however, because they could be killed from chemical exposure. When the tent is removed, any residual fumigants should float upward into the atmosphere. Professional fumigation workers should be careful around your garden during tent removal so that fumes are not released to the sides, but are directed upward to avoid foliage damage.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-termite-fumigation-kill-garden-83034.html

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Everything im reading says remove ALL household plants or they will die :(

And yeah i think they have access to the whole house since they need to treat it ALL else your just gonna push the colony from 1 side of the house to the other.. :(

Sorry bro your in a pickle :(

Got a garage or shed you can store them in for 24 hours?

B

bckwht

hey man you could possible look at d-limonene/orange oil to control the termites..i haven't done it personally but I'm pretty sure another farmer mentioned using it on there subfloor or something during a house build and said it killed all kinds of insects and its used in the pest control industry from what i understand…theres a lot of info online that you could read up on if interested..goodluck

blazedahaze

blazedahaze

@delae632 when they tented my spot I just rented a uhaul for twenty bucks a day and parked it in the driveway, which is shaded.. I had a cord running from the garage to the uhaul to power some t5's and fans to keep stuff alive.. Don't know if it's possible for you, but it worked for me.. Oh and I had an orchid that I accidentally left in the kitchen and was completely dead pure brown, it didn't look like the normal death of the orchid that's for sure.. So I would say that the plants would die for sure.. And the termite guys did warn us that any house plants should be removed.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Read a cpl quick google searchs , one guy had it done without isolating his plants and they all died..

I don't know what chemical they use, but unless its an inert gas like co2, Its going to harm ya plants im pretty sure.

Fumigation Process
Fumigation eliminates termites in the structure, not the colony hidden in the soil below. After tenting the entire structure, fumigants, such as sulfuryl fluoride, fill the space to kill off termites. This tenting only covers the structure; outdoor garden plants are not in danger. Indoor plants should be removed before fumigation starts, however, because they could be killed from chemical exposure. When the tent is removed, any residual fumigants should float upward into the atmosphere. Professional fumigation workers should be careful around your garden during tent removal so that fumes are not released to the sides, but are directed upward to avoid foliage damage.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-termite-fumigation-kill-garden-83034.html

Everything im reading says remove ALL household plants or they will die :(

And yeah i think they have access to the whole house since they need to treat it ALL else your just gonna push the colony from 1 side of the house to the other.. :(

Sorry bro your in a pickle :(

Got a garage or shed you can store them in for 24 hours?

hey man you could possible look at d-limonene/orange oil to control the termites..i haven't done it personally but I'm pretty sure another farmer mentioned using it on there subfloor or something during a house build and said it killed all kinds of insects and its used in the pest control industry from what i understand…theres a lot of info online that you could read up on if interested..goodluck

@delae632 when they tented my spot I just rented a uhaul for twenty bucks a day and parked it in the driveway, which is shaded.. I had a cord running from the garage to the uhaul to power some t5's and fans to keep stuff alive.. Don't know if it's possible for you, but it worked for me.. Oh and I had an orchid that I accidentally left in the kitchen and was completely dead pure brown, it didn't look like the normal death of the orchid that's for sure.. So I would say that the plants would die for sure.. And the termite guys did warn us that any house plants should be removed.

If you are planning on reusing your medium I'd keep the chems well away from that

Gf

Thanks for chiming in folks. I really appreciate it. Looks like I'm in a bit of a tight spot here. I knew that was most likely going to be the case. Damn it...Oh well, I'll come up with some way to make this work.

Thanks again.

D

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

That was me and we sprayed it on the subgrade before we poured slabs and built the houses.It really depends on the area your in to determine what they use.Definitely do some research D,fuck the plants id be more worried about momma and the kids as small children can be sensitive to that kind of stuff.Sucks im so far from you as i have an empty flower room i could offer up for temporary storage.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
That was me and we sprayed it on the subgrade before we poured slabs and built the houses.It really depends on the area your in to determine what they use.Definitely do some research D,fuck the plants id be more worried about momma and the kids as small children can be sensitive to that kind of stuff.Sucks im so far from you as i have an empty flower room i could offer up for temporary storage.

The garage is detached and about 60' away from the main house so I'm not too worried about it, but maybe we'll go stay in a hotel while it's actively being fumigated. Why not, right? Thanks for your concern FW.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy another shed. That's another $3k bill I'm not looking forward to. smh...Oh the joys of owning a house. lol

HeLLMuTT

HeLLMuTT

Thinks of Stinks
Supporter
Maybe you can rent a uhaul truck and keep all stuff that shouldn't be the garage during the treatment in the back of the truck. That'd be much cheaper.

Friggin termites! "Shakes fist"

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Maybe you can rent a uhaul truck and keep all stuff that shouldn't be the garage during the treatment in the back of the truck. That'd be much cheaper.

Friggin termites! "Shakes fist"

That's an issue. My neighbors will ask question if they see a uhaul at my spot. I've lived here for 11 years and know all the folks on my street. I wish it was that easy, but it's not unfortunately. We're about due for another shed anyways.

greenjoe

greenjoe

That's an issue. My neighbors will ask question if they see a uhaul at my spot. I've lived here for 11 years and know all the folks on my street. I wish it was that easy, but it's not unfortunately. We're about due for another shed anyways.
tell them you are fumigating for termites and your storing perishables in there.....end of story for the nosy neighbors

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
tell them you are fumigating for termites and your storing perishables in there.....end of story for the nosy neighbors

It's only a detached garage that needs to be treated, not my home. The Uhaul gig isn't an option.

greenjoe

greenjoe

gotch ya.....
just wondering why your neighbors would want to know why and what is in the truck.....and why cant they mind there own business....but i understand the position your in
best of luck

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
gotch ya.....
just wondering why your neighbors would want to know why and what is in the truck.....and why cant they mind there own business....but i understand the position your in
best of luck

I've lived here for 11 years and I'm an active member in my community. I know everyone so every time I go outside I end up talking to someone. We're a pretty close knit crew of neighbors that watch out for one another. It's not that they're nosey, they just care. I would definitely get a question or two and would prefer to avoid having to make up some bullshit story. They all know me and I'm sure some know what I do. But it's kinda a don't ask don't tell kinda thing over here. I just don't want to go there..

I'm thinking I could just buy 30+ wardrobe boxes and install a t5 in each one. It'll look weird to the exterminator but I'm not too worried about that. I could just leave those in a corner of the yard for a couple days. Best/cheapest solution I can come up with at the moment.

K

Kingsgoldcannabis

what ever happened? @delae632
Glad I found this thread I’m currently renting a house and I have a room dedicated to growing, perpetually. I’ve been living here 7 years - In about a month my place will be fumigated for termites. I have a place to move my plants but would you guys break down the tents or leave them up is more so my question. I plan to clean them all out and leave them empty. Will the fumigation affect the tents material in any way? I prefer not to take them down and resume growing about a week after fumigation.

Top Bottom