terpene production

• Thread starter Roskito
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Roskito

ive been reading up tons on terpene production. I understand that plants create terpenes to fend off attacks from insects, so if i mimic an insect attack (rip off tips of leaves or damage leaves) will this increase terpene production? also i read plants use "acetly coenzyme A" to produce the building blocks needed for terpene production. you can buy coenzyme a for cheap in pill form, can this be mixed with water and fed to the plant? im gonna experiment and post an update in a few months, but im wondering if anybody else has heard anything like what ive read, and do u think it could work?

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Terpene is produced in the trichomes same gland where THC is produced. If I am not mistaken Terpene is what the drug dogs smell not THC. Terpene % depends on different genos as some plants will produce more or less then others. As for the plants using terpenes as a defense mechanism from insects I never heard that. If I was you I would not mimic a insect attack as it may cause stress to your plants. If you still want to increase terpene there are products out there that can help...

R

Roskito

thanks. so insect attack does up production in a sense, but insect frass is less harmful to the health of the plant.

J

Jalisco Kid

When you trim your girls up for the flip you are fucking with that plant more then most insects can. I would suggest you look towards boosting your immune sys, and feeding a good nute program below 1000 ppm. JK

R

Roskito

Thanks JK. I wasn't gonna actually do this but I'm very interested in how cannabis plants react to other living organisms in its natural ecosystem, and how, IMO, an indoor setting could never replicate the thousands, possibly millions of other life forms that interact with cannabis during its life cycle and the positive or negative effects those interactions have on terpene production/yield. I'm trying to increase potency thru organic composting and green manure. I have a massive organic veggie garden and see how these interactions benefit plant life.

Redux

Redux

using fox farm cha ching in the last few weeks of flower will increase terpene production.
From what I understand terpene production is influenced by nutrition. If the plants don't have the necessary building blocks they can't produce the amount of terpenes that's genetically possible. I know nothing about Cha Ching regarding that. There are a lot of other things in plant physiology, like proper carbohydrate, protein and lipid production that must come first before the plant will dedicate available energy for terpene production. Not saying terpenes won't be produced just implying won't be as much as the plant is potentially capable of making.

homebrew420

homebrew420

On many aromatic herms sulphur has been shown to increase essential oil production. I have been boosting the mag-sulphate in the hopes of increased terpene. Haven't noticed much.
Proper healthy plants with little as stress as possible will give you the best yields in all areas.

R

Roskito

I've read that about sulphur too. But won't it lower the ph level of the grow medium?

J

Jalisco Kid

On many aromatic herms sulphur has been shown to increase essential oil production. I have been boosting the mag-sulphate in the hopes of increased terpene. Haven't noticed much.
Proper healthy plants with little as stress as possible will give you the best yields in all areas.
K sulfate is a good foliar for that. JK

zeke

zeke

Fawk that. I don't care how aromatic a herm is, it's getting the chop immediately. Unless that was a typo and its herb not herm? Otherwise I agree. A healthy plant that has the right genetics and environment will produce more terpenes than the exact same cutting cultivated in a poor environment. I'm not sure if this is a quality or quantity situation. A bigger plant might technically produce more mass but the stunted stressed plant might have higher levels of terpenes per weight. Kinda like grapevines that aren't pampered so that they have smaller sweeter grapes. I knew my sulfur burner wasn't a bad thing. Kills mold and increases available sulfur for terpene production? That would be cool.

squiggly

squiggly

Fawk that. I don't care how aromatic a herm is, it's getting the chop immediately. Unless that was a typo and its herb not herm? Otherwise I agree. A healthy plant that has the right genetics and environment will produce more terpenes than the exact same cutting cultivated in a poor environment. I'm not sure if this is a quality or quantity situation. A bigger plant might technically produce more mass but the stunted stressed plant might have higher levels of terpenes per weight. Kinda like grapevines that aren't pampered so that they have smaller sweeter grapes. I knew my sulfur burner wasn't a bad thing. Kills mold and increases available sulfur for terpene production? That would be cool.

Yep, it does.

SO2 is available as a nutrient to the plants via uptake through the stomata. Sulfur does play a strong role in isoprenoid synthesis, which is the fundamental pathway leading to terpene synthesis. I've covered all this in another thread here:

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...to-increase-terpenes.42346/page-3#post-768285

homebrew420

homebrew420

Yes that was a typo. Haha no herms! Herbs. I add to the nutrients. Mag sulfate is by far and away the cheapest and most readily available form.
peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Terpene is produced in the trichomes same gland where THC is produced. If I am not mistaken Terpene is what the drug dogs smell not THC. Terpene % depends on different genos as some plants will produce more or less then others. As for the plants using terpenes as a defense mechanism from insects I never heard that. If I was you I would not mimic a insect attack as it may cause stress to your plants. If you still want to increase terpene there are products out there that can help...
Are you sure that terpenes are only produced in the trichomes? I could have sworn that I'd read that various terpenes (and flavanoids, we can generally lump them together as secondary plant metabolites, yes?) are produced in various areas of the plant.
If it's a Chemdog herming, I'm keeping it because I know it'll produce good budular. :p

B

BestAround

depends on why it hermed.. a few of my favorite smokes hermi if treated like shit.. but if ur nice to them. there nice to YOU

Latest posts

Top Bottom