Terpenes Mysteries ?

• Thread starter Titoon_29
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bicycle racer

i agree terpenoids play a role in the high from different strains but i fully disagree that thc is the only cannabinoid that plays a role in the high as well that is incorrect.

T

Titoon_29

Hi !

Thanks a lot for all these informations, i ve read it all, amazing stuff... indeed, some experimentations have been done, still we don t have much information on high....

meanwhile, i had the chance to try my volcano, and all i can say it s really amazing for the flavour ! using the setting 3 to 5 is realeasing all the hidden flavors that you could find in the smoke.... perfect for breeding... the outdoor nycd did not have a very good taste smoking it, but vaporising realeased the typical mandarin/diesel taste i love in the nycd...
try it happy hybrid and you ll let me know....it takes few bags to get used to, but it's very nice... like you drink some weed tea.. awesome ;-)
it's very uplifting and useful during any cannabis related event, help getting the head clear when falling asleep at 4 am ^^

it s definetly a great tool to breed on flavour, helping to release different terpens and to identify them... i notice sweet tastes are released on the first bag, while spicy tastes on the second mostly.

now i m waiting for my plants to finish, days after days... soon i ll start experimenting on less strains at the same time !

++

M

MIZZ ELVIS

More info from Ed Rosenthals big book of buds 3....
THC: Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol and Delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol- THC mimics the action of anandamide, a neurotransmitter naturally produced in the body, which binds with the cannabinoid receptors(cb1&cb2)in the brain to produce the "high" associated with marijuana.
THCV: Tetrahydrocannabivarin- prevalent in certain south African and southeast Asian strains of cannabis. Although THCV may possess many of the therapeutic properties of THC, it does not contribute significantly to marijuiana's potency.
CBD:cannabidiol- previously believed to be psychoactive, or to contribute to the high by interacting with other cannabinoids. The most recent research indicates that CBD has a negligible effect on the high. It is however a strong anti-inflammatory, and may take the edge off some THC effects, such as anxiety. Although a non-psychoactive cannabinoid, CBD appears to be helpful for many medical conditions.
CBN: Cannabinol- a degradation product of THC, CBN is not psychoactive, but is believed to produce a depressant effect or "fuzzy" forehead when it is present in significant quantities.
CBC: Cannabichromene- This cannabinoid is a non-psychoactive precursor to THC.
CBG: Cannabigerol- a non-psychoactive cannabinoid. Hemp strains often conain
elevated levels of CBG while possessing only trace amounts of THC.

And here is some other interesting info

by Paul Armentano
Senior Policy Analyst
NORML | NORML Foundation
“Cannabinoids possess … anticancer activity [and may] possibly represent a new class of anti-cancer drugs that retard cancer growth, inhibit angiogenesis (the formation of new blood vessels) and the metastatic spreading of cancer cells." So concludes a comprehensive review published in the October 2005 issue of the scientific journal Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry.
Not familiar with the emerging body of research touting cannabis' ability to stave the spread of certain types of cancers? You're not alone.
For over 30 years, US politicians and bureaucrats have systematically turned a blind eye to scientific research indicating that marijuana may play a role in cancer prevention -- a finding that was first documented in 1974. That year, a research team at the Medical College of Virginia (acting at the behest of the federal government) discovered that cannabis inhibited malignant tumor cell growth in culture and in mice. According to the study's results, reported nationally in an Aug. 18, 1974, Washington Post newspaper feature, administration of marijuana's primary cannabinoid THC, "slowed the growth of lung cancers, breast cancers and a virus-induced leukemia in laboratory mice, and prolonged their lives by as much as 36 percent."
Despite these favorable preclinical findings, US government officials dismissed the study (which was eventually published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute in 1975), and refused to fund any follow-up research until conducting a similar –- though secret –- clinical trial in the mid-1990s. That study, conducted by the US National Toxicology Program to the tune of $2 million concluded that mice and rats administered high doses of THC over long periods experienced greater protection against malignant tumors than untreated controls.
Rather than publicize their findings, government researchers once again shelved the results, which only came to light after a draft copy of its findings were leaked in 1997 to a medical journal, which in turn forwarded the story to the national media.
Nevertheless, in the decade since the completion of the National Toxicology trial, the U.S. government has yet to encourage or fund additional, follow up studies examining the cannabinoids' potential to protect against the spread cancerous tumors.
Fortunately, scientists overseas have generously picked up where US researchers so abruptly left off. In 1998, a research team at Madrid's Complutense University discovered that THC can selectively induce apoptosis (program cell death) in brain tumor cells without negatively impacting the surrounding healthy cells. Then in 2000, they reported in the journal Nature Medicine that injections of synthetic THC eradicated malignant gliomas (brain tumors) in one-third of treated rats, and prolonged life in another third by six weeks.
In 2003, researchers at the University of Milan in Naples, Italy, reported that non-psychoactive compounds in marijuana inhibited the growth of glioma cells in a dose dependent manner and selectively targeted and killed malignant cancer cells.
The following year, researchers reported in the journal of the American Association for Cancer Research that marijuana's constituents inhibited the spread of brain cancer in human tumor biopsies. In a related development, a research team from the University of South Florida further noted that THC can also selectively inhibit the activation and replication of gamma herpes viruses. The viruses, which can lie dormant for years within white blood cells before becoming active and spreading to other cells, are thought to increase one's chances of developing cancers such as Karposis Sarcoma, Burkitts lymphoma, and Hodgkins disease.
More recently, investigators published pre-clinical findings demonstrating that cannabinoids may play a role in inhibiting cell growth of colectoral cancer, skin carcinoma, breast cancer, and prostate cancer, among other conditions. When investigators compared the efficacy of natural cannabinoids to that of a synthetic agonist, THC proved far more beneficial – selectively decreasing the proliferation of malignant cells and inducing apoptosis more rapidly than its synthetic alternative while simultaneously leaving healthy cells unscathed.
Nevertheless, US politicians have been little swayed by these results, and remain steadfastly opposed to the notion of sponsoring – or even acknowledging – this growing body clinical research, preferring instead to promote the unfounded notion that cannabis use causes cancer. Until this bias changes, expect the bulk of research investigating the use of cannabinoids as anticancer agents to remain overseas and, regrettably, overlooked in the public discourse.

one more dope article!!!

Potential role of cannabinoids
in Parkinson's disease
by Sevcik J, Masek K Institute of Pharmacology,
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague.
[email protected]
Drugs Aging 2000 Jun; 16(6): 391-5
Parkinson's disease (PD) is a neurodegenerative disorder caused by a progressive loss of dopaminergic neurons of the substantia nigra, resulting from an oxidative stress. The lack of dopaminergic neurons is reflected by a disturbed balance of the neural circuitry in the basal ganglia. Cannabinoids might alleviate some parkinsonian symptoms by their remarkable receptor-mediated modulatory action in the basal ganglia output nuclei. Moreover, it was recently observed that some cannabinoids are potent antioxidants that can protect neurons from death even without cannabinoid receptor activation. It seems that cannabinoids could delay or even stop progressive degeneration of brain dopaminergic systems, a process for which there is presently no prevention. In combination with currently used drugs, cannabinoids might represent, qualitatively, a new approach to the treatment of PD, making it more effective.

B

bicycle racer

i think smoking tastes awful after getting used to a vape does not matter if its og or not. it all tastes foul. with my vape i could easily while blindfolded accurately say of my ten strains which are which with my vape. smoking i could easily pick some of them out but with a vape you can really taste all the different flavors of different strains. i have never heard someone say otherwise in fact when most people vape for the first time there first comment is always about the great taste.

T

Trichomepro

The appeal of commercial waterhash is that it's purer than the adulterated lower grades of sieved hash that turns up here and to be honest, given the choice of adulterated traditional Moroccan shite or Moroccan waterhash, I'll take the pure stuff thanks, but if the sieved traditional piece isn't adulterated, it wins hands down for taste and character everytime.

What l33t says about waterhash being the purest form of cannabis is sorta correct, it's the purest form of THC you can make without solvents and equipment, but cannabis isn't just about THC. Sam Skunkman says he has smoked 100% pure THC and it didn't seem as potent as good 45-50% hash.

I think the other cannabinoids probably do play some role in the nature of the high, I think the effects of a given plant when smoked is a complex summation of the THC plus the cannabinoids and terpenoids, water hash gives you the THC plus a small amount of the terpenpoids, cos not all are washed away (otherwise it would have no smell or taste) but enough is removed to change the character of the effect, for sure. Try making water hash and dry sift from the same buds and when you smoke them both you will see that the nature of the effect is different, the water hash is always more sedative and stony, some say this is greater potency, and in THC percentage, they are right, but potency is a more complex issue than THC percentage.

I've smoked sativas that were probably no more than 12-14% THC that had my pulse racing, heart beating, sweating and kept me high for a good four hours, whereas I've smoked lots of 20% plus indicas that were subjectively far less potent so it;s not just the THC that matters.

While a motorised pollinator tumbler will work, I would recommend getting some screen of the right size microns and making your own hash making seive, this just needs to be a wooden frame (a picture/photo frame would be great) that you cover with the sreen, then rub the material lightly on top with your hands over a nice flat surface like a piece of glass, the resin falls through. This produces a much greater yield of resin glands than a motorised tumbler and it is easy to make a very high grade as you can either learn to gauge when to stop rubbing by the colour of your pile of resin (it begins very pale, then goes golden brown like sand, then when you start to see a green tint, you need to stop as plant matter is getting through) or by refining the resin by rubbing it through a second, smaller micron size screen.

The other advantage of water hash is that it is good to smoke straight after it's dry, whereas dry sift is a harsh smoke when freshly rubbed, you need to cure it to get the full taste and smoothness. I have experimented a lot with pressing and heating of sifted resin and I find the best quality smoke is produced by pressing the powder while applying a low heat (less than 50C, such as on top of an audio amplifier or plasma TV) for several days then storing the pressed piece of hash for several weeks before smoking. Sam Skunkman says that dry sifted resin, run through 3 grades of screen to ensure finest purity then aged for at last 6 months is the finest hash and my limited adventures in hash making lead me to agree.

If I was gonna pick any hash to smoke though I would have to go for hand rubbed Nepali charas from highland sativas, so cerebral and uplifting complex high with an equally complex taste. Me and Hazyfontazy got quite annoyed last year while smoking the Nepali water hash as it looked great, felt sticky and lovely, but when smoked only vaguely reminded us of fine Nepali of the past and that was an annoying thing to realise they were making water hash these days with only 10% of the character and flavour of the old hand rubbed product.

Good post. Saw this through a google search on something else..

However, wanted to point out that dry sifting over a single screen like you're telling people to do, then re-run over another finer screen, just breaks down fragments of stalks and green matter, effectively ruining your *A* grade.

I can make it 99% pure @ 60-100x on the reg, and it melts completely clear to the end.

You won't get that running it through screens twice, sorry.

Cheers.

T

Trichomepro

Anyone have links/pictures from Sam? They on this site? Can't find them... thx...

Top Bottom