TEST GROW 126w LED Urkle x White SCROG

• Thread starter Tobor the 8th Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wonderinalice

wonderinalice

looking nice!!! I like your screen idea a lot!! Might do something like that on my green crack that s out side. I'm definitely interested in the led's as im sure most are. And it looks like your utilizing the light for the best results w/ the 1 plant. You got any of the same strain under hps??

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I don't have this strain inside except under LED. I do have some outside.

I had to close my indoor grow down for awhile. I am doing this at a friends house. I figured it would give me a good idea how these lights work and I could do a test grow as I promised LEDgirl. If the results are promising I would then do a side by side with my 250w when I get my grow areas back up and running. If it doesn't I won't waste time setting up a nice side by side test.

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Nice economy style scrog Tobor, I can't believe I missed this test grow but I am subscribed now. I can't wait to see how these LED's do in flower. I have a buddy that uses one in veg and then switches to a thouie when its time to bloom ... I wonder why? I hope you can put some light on this subject, pun intended, lol.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Hey there Mr. Good Cat! Glad you made it here. It was the basic "I need a quick scrog" method. I have done it before though. I used to do it a lot with outdoor plants just to get a bush.

Aligee

Aligee

:call...them leds look cool !!!nice lil scrog going on there !!!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Thanks Aligee. Glad you stopped in. I am going to have some update pics in a day or so.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
When I use my 250w it does a great job on a 2 x 2 area and actually can make buds a bit outside that range. But it easily does 2 x 2. With this LED I think you would need at least 2 of these to cover the same area. Maybe even four. So in a scrog grow this LED is not going to out perform a 250w HPS. Now if you were going to grow small bushes and the LED does actually have better penetration it might have the advantage. However, with a scrog where penetration is nullified IMHO my 250w will grow more buds.

That might be the achilles heel of the LED. If you need two of these that would be 252w (126 x 2) and that eliminates the wattage advantage. If you need 3 or 4 it is way worse. This is for scrog though.

The penetration sweet spot on my 250w is 9 to 15 inches from the bulb. With my cool tube I could keep it about 3 inches over the canopy. So 6 to 15 inches would be the maximum bush thickness or SOG plant height. So testers doing those type of grows will have to weigh in.

Scrogging isn't about penetration. It is about getting more bud site at the canopy (scrog screen) at that is dictated by light coverage area. A scrog just might be an unfair test for an LED light.

I still want to see the final buds and evaluate density and trich production. I have high hopes for that. But you can't ignore the coverage area. The LED is basically straight down light.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
wow....im such a dumb ass when i say that first few pics i thought you had pink leafs kicking lol....i was gonna say dankest dank iv ever seen for sure! haha....its those LEDs, they get me everytime. killer job so far bro. keep it up, ill make sure to check ya back out soon homie :) ~SMF~

M

monkey5

Premium Member
Supporter
Tobor, Nice I've been checking in hoping to see a smoke report and an idea of quality produced! So far looking very promising from here! Thank You for the show! And the ideas! I like the no heat! monkey5

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
SMF if somebody actually found a pink leafed plant they would be a millionaire in a very short time. Pink lemonade cuts would go for big bucks and the seeds would sell out every time just for a novelty item.

Monkey5 the estimated chop is Aug 15 to 20th. Thanks for checking on this guys.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Man you have not stopped by and commented for over 6 weeks LEDgirl. All my good work and praises and you just ignored this thread. And you have been visiting the other test grows almost weekly. But I make 1 critical post and SNAP here you are.

You ignored the thread this time too and focused on 1 post. Guess it doesn't deserve any praise from you. You must think it is crappy and not worth a positive comment.

I am saying what I see now LEDgirl. The light does NOT have the footprint you say it does at canopy level. It is working good but the footprint is less than 1/3 of my 250w. Also if the light only draws 115w than it is a 115w light not a 126w light. It can't make watts. Lights only lose watts from input wattage to output wattage.

This is a SCROG. Frozenguy did 2 plants under each light. There was room for at least 4 pots under his 250w. His test was not fair and other people mentioned it. They mostly complained that it was a MH and not an HPS. The 250w still won his test for bud weight and this 126w is advertised as equal to a 400w. ???

I will do a side by side IF these buds look as nice as the ones my 250w produced. This was a quickie test run. However, I don't need a side by side because I have perfected my scrog under a 250w. I am the all time 250w record harvest holder and am recognized as such on ICmag, Go look at the 250w club. Check it out. Documented 14 ounces from a scrog with a 250w Lumatek ballast and a 270w Super Bulb. See the Lumatek draws 300w but can put out 270w. It CAN'T make more light than it draws. Otherwise it would be a generator.

Frozenguy has never come close to 14 ounces under a 250w. He doesn't scrog. His 137 grams from your 126w LED was good but I am about to smash that. When this grow is done, even when I say it didn't produce as much as I can with my 250w using scrog, I am going to be the ALL-TIME 126w LED single harvest champion.

When I run my 250w scrogs depending on what strain I use I get 10+ ounces with a high of 14 ounces. Nugs! I didn't count fluff I just hashed that. To maximize a 250w you have to scrog if you want to get the weight I do.

I think I could do more weight with your light with a SOG. I think in a SOG your light will have the advantage IF the penetration is what you claim. The SOG plants could be 17 to 20 inches tall as opposed to 12 inches under a 250w.

The 126w is 19" long and 12.5" wide. The light array is roughly 15" x 8". The light footprint at the top canopy level is 17" x 10" at 6 inches from the bulbs (the canopy). The 250w is 24" x 24" (576 sq inches). Three 126w side by side by side would be 17" by 30" (510 sq inches). That is 66 square inches less of scrog area. See less than 1/3. It does get bigger the farther away you get and that is where sog comes in.

In a sog cubic inches will come into play. Because it just won't be a shallow layer of buds it will be a deeper bud stick. Then maybe it could even beat the 250w scrog but it should beat a 250w sog IF..... IF the penetration is what you claim because with more penetration you will have more cubic inches of bud area.

Look I am working with you not against you. Grow style is everything with the light a person is working with. I am just saying that scrog is probably not the best way to use these lights. I think that SOG might be the way with an LED. Get the most plants you can under it's footprint.

First I am going to set the 126w record with this scrog. I am predicting 8 ounces. Yeah I said it. 224 grams. Then I am going to beat that by doing a sog. I am going into the Hydro-Grow Hall of Fame.

I am already in the 250w HPS Hall of Fame. I am the Babe Ruth of 250w HPS. I give you Exhibit A ... 14 ounces of The White. Now go show Frozenguy where he needs to improve his 250w skills and let me work my magic with this 126w LED.

I am loving this light. The low heat is awesome. The potential is great. The bulb life is fantastic. Even if it ends up not making as much buds as a 250w HPS I am going to make people want an LED. The people with small spaces, with heat problems because of high summer temps outside. The fact I need no real serious ventilation fans. The stealth of not having all that noise. I see guys in dorm rooms rocking these lights and nobody will know. The feeling of safety that comes with a light you can hold in your hands after being on all day. The fact that Tobor the 8th Man got a lot of buds off one of these things.

Get ready for an increase in sales after this grow. It will have a niche. People will know it will be worth using even if it does not beat other lights. All it has to do is work good. Just like a Vespa can't beat a Harley. There are a lot of Vespas around though. They are fun, get great gas milage, go from point A to point B and they work good.

Here is 250w HPS Exhibit A... 14 ounces. This plant was 33 inches wide and 30 inches deep.

8week
8week2
8week5
Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
For people doing SCROG grows where their plants will never be larger than 24" tall, we can make them 90 degree models which have a 30% larger footprint. LED's are the perfect light for Scrog and SOG grows.

So you need different ones depending on how you grow? That isn't a good marketing point.

Y

yamama

sorry for not talkin bout the leds but omg man thats one awesome plant for a 250, never saw those pics before, u have impressed me no end :O

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

I think a better marketing point would be 250W vs 250W or 400W vs 400W. Most farmers don't care about energy consumption as long as the yield is there.

For instance a buddy of mine was using some 300W LED lights and they advertised they yield the same as a 1000. Needless to say he now veg with the LED and flowers with the thouie because he CAN'T get the same yield. The footprint on the thousand is way bigger and the penetration is way deeper. He doesn't care that he is using more power it's all about yield in this game.

I see LED lights being used in certain applications, but I think it is a poor marketing ploy to suggest that your LED lights can out produce certain HID models. All it is going to take is 1 farmer to out yield with a HID in a test grow to lose credibility.

All I am saying that if you are trying to compete with HID then compete with HID. Mono-A-Mono, 250 vs 250, 400 vs 400 etc. You are trying to wet your whistle in to many aspects saying 126W LED is replacement for 400W HID may not be true, but it certainly does use less electric. Not trying to tell you how to market your product but I think if you expanded more on energy consumption and less on yield with your current models you may experience a little bit more acceptance. And if you want to compete with HID in yield then compete like I said.

Imagine if a chinese company came out with a new pair of shoes that were half the weight and twice as comfortable as your favorite nike shoes. You read all the testimonys and are tempted to buy them but your old nikes have done you so well and they are 1/2 the price. I mean how can they be 1/2 the weight and twice as comfortable you think?? Then you think, shit I will just buy my same old nikes they have done me right from day one, why change now?

420king-MASSES

aw shit tober man i didnt reALIZE this was your thread i woulda subscribed earlier on the first page i noticed you build your screen to the individual plant i like that idea and wow almost a full elbow from a 250 thats bomb my friend thats about 2 grams a watt well over the standard benchmark of 1 gram a watt wow thats all i gotta say great job brotha

R

Radio_Dread

Wow dude that is really amazing plant. 14 zips! and she is a pretty girl too. im really diggin' the thread. i dont kknow if im ready to buy a led light yet. but i have always wondered how they preform when used toi flower. thanks for sharing man, ill be tuning in more often. awesome job yo

RD

southstreets

southstreets

yup!!1 thats wass crackin bro!!!!! beautiful work... i've come to relize that everything you touch turns to gold!!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Thanks yamama, 420, radio and southstreets.

That big plant was done under my 250w and in a Power Grower dripper which is about 1 gallon bigger than a Water Farm. The most I ever got in a soil grow was 10 ounces which is still great. And I vegged them pretty long. Most were 6 weeks. The one pictured was 8 week veg.

I have my tragedies and mistakes too. Like the time I figured I could use coca-cola as a ph down and a carb load. I thought I was being a genius and could do two things at once. Coca-Cola really brought the ph down. Like to 4.5 and that plant died in about 2 days even after I ph'd up and then flushed the whole power grower. It fizzed the roots to death.

I wish I still had my pics of a one plant scrog I did under twos 750w lumatek. It was the size of a double bed. I was heading for 5 lbs easily. It was in an old brick building I had. There was a bad fire in the building next to it and it got so hot they said it damaged the structural integrity of my building and they had to come in and inspect it even though nobody was in it but me. They said if it was damaged by the heat it could fall and injure people walking by. I said no. The city said we are coming on Monday. I had the weekend to tear everything down. It was months of work down the tubes. Then they didn't go up there anyways. They saw what they needed to see on the first floor. Cracked walls. The building was torn down 2 weeks later.

It was the scrog of the century though. It was freakin awesome.

151kushmaster

Tobor your scrog and buds look amazing! Hopefully one day we can kick it! Keep up the good work!

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Thanks 151Kusharmy. The only 2 people I ever met where people I knew for 2 years online and they had many long grow threads. If you get to that point maybe one day we will meet up. I don't think I will ever do that again though. But if your grow threads lure me out it could happen.

Top Bottom