TEST GROW 126w LED Urkle x White SCROG

• Thread starter Tobor the 8th Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Thx for the photo update Tobor! She's looking mighty fine right now... Can't wait to see the calyxes start to stack up... :cool

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
hey a couple new people came by. Thanks Dr. Thunder and Sense.

L

l0g1c4l

Hey Tobor, I have to say you're scrogging is amazing!! Definitely the best I've seen!! I totally agree with you on the advantages of the LED, and totally see the younger generation taking full advantage of the stealthiness (i wish we had them when i was in uni). Anyhow I'm super impressed, thanks for letting us come along for the ride.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Thanks for the vote of approval 10g. There are some great scroggers around besides me. I love doing a scrog grow and that helps to do a good one.

One of the things I have noticed though is many people doing a scrog are not really doing a scrog the way it makes sense to me. Most of them use multiple plants to quicken the veg time needed to fill a screen. They also don't veg while doing the scrogging long enough. It isn't really the amount of time they veg it is the timing of the veg.

They seem to veg the plants to a certain height and then put the screen on and maybe veg a bit more and then flip. They get beautiful looking results because the buds and stems of the plants are nice and separated by the grid work of the screen. The majority of the vegging happens before the screen is put on.

I think the majority of the vegging should occur after the screen is in place so the vegging happens horizontally and not vertically. I like getting my plant in the pot and the screen (I use a rack or bamboo sticks) put on about 6 inches above the soil line. Then as the plant grows through the rack I tie it down to the grid. A metal rack or bamboo sticks do not bend. The plant has to stay even along the rack. It can't push it up like it can a screen and makes high and low spots.

Yes I tie the plant down with string, twist ties or pipe cleaners. yes you can do it by pushing the branch tips under the rack as they grow but they are under and I don't like that. Why block light with the screen. Why make buds fight their way out of the rack when they start to form. By letting it grow through and then tying it to the rack everything is on top already. You also can control where the branches grow much better and fill up the screen in a more organized way.

So it only takes a few days veg to get through rack. Now if I veg for however many weeks all that vegging growth went along my rack. This is how scrog works to increase yield. You are trading big colas buds for many more smaller buds. Those buds are all along the plant. What would be popcorn buds at the bottom of the plant are now dense buds in the middle of the grow where the stem first came through.

By having all your veg time occur with the screen on and tying it the whole way you can veg for a much longer time because you don't have to worry about height restrictions or penetration distance because every bud is in the canopy. Every leaf and bud is above the screen to get maximum benefit from whatever light you use. Especially smaller lights.

I don't think scrog can be optimized if you are trying for quick turnaround cash crop grows. The beauty of a scog is that you can grow one big tree. I like to veg them 6-8 weeks and then flip. You only have one plant. But you are going to get a lot of weed from that plant. You can do more than one plant if you want to speed in the filling of the screen. But the veg has to happen as you tie it down.

The buds in a properly done scrog will be smaller than the big buds in a vertical grow. But every bud will be a good bud. There won't be any popcorn. Instead of having a plant with say 5 tops and those tops being thick at the tips and getting smaller down the branch and not having stripped everything off the lower branch you now have an entire branch of buds end to end. All of them dense. This is how you increase the yield with a scrog.

Yes if somebody vegges for 2 weeks and flips a 10 week strain they essentially harvest every 12 weeks. If I scrog and veg 6 weeks I only harvest every 16 weeks but I harvest more and only had 1 plant growing. Nice stress free plant count and easy caring for one plant.

Here are some pics from last night. It is only 4 days since the last pics but there has been some good gains made in the buds. All the buds are very dense and quite hard even at this point.

I get a nice skunk smell when I rub them or prune a leaf but I am not getting any bud odors.

Last light was the start of day 39.

DSCN0795
DSCN0796
DSCN0797
DSCN0798
DSCN0799
DSCN0800
DSCN0801
DSCN0802
DSCN0803
DSCN0804
DSCN0805
DSCN0806
S

Sense I. Milla

Helpful post on your scroging method Tobor! It does make MORE sense to veg longer up through the screen, I think especially if you're growing from a seed rather that clone.. I want to lst/scrog one of my plants due to my height restrictions and posts like these give me a great reference... THX!

L

l0g1c4l

Hey Tobor, that was an awesome breakdown of your ways. I completely agree with you, though I do use multiple plants but not to shorten the veg time, just cuz I love to have different flavors!

I definitely do not have the skills you have but I'm working my way there! And appreciate all your help.
Here's a link to what I have goin on now...

That is also why I am really looking forward to your results using the LEDs, cause I would happily do away with the vortex fan in my bedroom closet!

420king-MASSES

man tober they seem to be gettin juicier my dude just wanted to check in and see how the grows coming and as i thought your still rockin that shit out brotha keep up the good work

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

O yea Tabor.. She is looking lovely.. your bro is doing a great job with her!! If she dont start reaking real soon something is bad wrong!! lol

420king-MASSES

hey tober i just showed one of my bro inlaws what small wattage lights are capable of doing and hes sold on your screening technique[so am i] hes actully buying stakes as i type to set up a screen like yours just thought youd like to know that you just inspired a newbie grower[3 harvests] to step his game up with 3 150s

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Thanks King Kong.

I am glad I helped 420King. I got the bamboo idea from other posters online. I liked how quick and easy it was. I like using my baker's racks shelves when I am doing a long tie and veg as I go grow.

I have had a few grows under 150w lights. They have a 1.5 x 1.5 grow footprint. three of them would be 4.5 x 1.5 feet. You could veg 9 feet across and back again. That is a tree. Or put a clone in a 10 gallon tote and top it so it has 6 branches or so and tie them down to the screen and veg until it has the screen 2/3 full and then flip. It will be a big bush but all flattened out.

This LED has earned another test grow side by side with strains I know what the results should be. These buds are dense as rocks. They are not real big and frosty but they are solid. They finally have a skunky sweet smell. They are not real sticky either. I am going to go read some urkle/white threads to see how they were for other people.

They just finished 6 weeks. They might only have 2 weeks to go maybe 3. We will see but it is getting closer. Hopefully a bunch of trichs will show up eventually.

DSCN0817
DSCN0818
DSCN0819
Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Kickin' ass Tobor! Simply beautiful and simple scrog with a single plant... I really like how the canopy has filled in at the center... :cool

squarepusher

squarepusher

I think I am going to use yoru scrog technique instead of tree grow + cage. This this has mroe potential, but it depends on your lighting. Downward facing lights definitely florish in the scrog style and can nearly absorb all the light it seems

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Go for it square. It will still be a tree but all spread out.

Dear LEDgirl!

Get Onstar or TomTom and use turn by turn directions to find your way to my thread.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I really love you scrog techique as well. So simple yet very effective. I hope the resin production increases on you.

I hope it does. I took a very tiny bud and nuked it. It didn't get me high at all. WTF!!!!!

S

SB805KUSH

looking good nice canopy! tobor the 8th man looks like ledgirl is going to miss this..

L

l0g1c4l

Hey Tobor I am really surprised to not see LEDgirl around either...considering you're one of the first to test the LED this way. I still have faith in the LED though, I'm not saying it'll out do other lighting, I'm saying I think it will do well in the end. How are they coming along?! Any pic updates?!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
what good are hard buds with no trichomes and no flavor or smell?

Latest posts

Top Bottom