the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So last week I noticed my HPS was looking more orangey than normal which is a sign that it's getting old, so looked it up and yup, old. It's not been quite a year but it's getting close, I usually replace them in 6-8 months and I went a little past that this time

So the new HPS is coming today, nothing exotic, your basic Vivosun 1000w hps. I only do Vivosun, I've had great luck with their products they come heavily packaged and I haven't had one that looked used since I've been buying this brand

At some point I'll have to look up how old the MH is but it seems fine, I don't worry too much about my veggie plants my main goal in veg is to slow them down, not hurry them up

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The high pH Fight Continues: I'm mixing up my soil today (most likely) I was going to add one level tablespoon dolomite per 3 gallons, as my normal one level tablespoon per gallon is giving me crazy high pH readings, yes I've done slurries and I'm also checking my run off

I've hit 7.2 which is the highest it's going to go and there's nothing below 6.5 so I'm ranging 6.5-7.2 :/ the PPM on the other hand I can't get above 1000 and I'm not going to grow plants successfully around 500 PPM, I just haven't dialed this new mix/nute combo in yet

I was experimenting with light feedings with the new Masterblend because I thought the new soil mix would have more oomph to it, without bone meal and other amendments I guess not..

So recently I've been pumping newts at full strength of 870ppm, I may even mix them stronger going forward we'll see how the 870ppm does before we go back to 1100 for a full-grown, stretching plant

Any questions on the mix I have everything listed a few pages back but definitely skip the dolomite if you try it. Shoulda I grabbed some pictures but 9 a.m. was lights out and I was hustling getting my flushes done & drained so didn't get a chance, nothing special anyway :/ LOL

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So last week I noticed my HPS was looking more orangey than normal which is a sign that it's getting old, so looked it up and yup, old. It's not been quite a year but it's getting close, I usually replace them in 6-8 months and I went a little past that this time

So the new HPS is coming today, nothing exotic, your basic Vivosun 1000w hps. I only do Vivosun, I've had great luck with their products they come heavily packaged and I haven't had one that looked used since I've been buying this brand

At some point I'll have to look up how old the MH is but it seems fine, I don't worry too much about my veggie plants my main goal in veg is to slow them down, not hurry them up

I just got my 2 new hortilux 600 super hps in the mail. With my older galaxy ballasts i could go 10 months but with the new solis tech (which runs right to spec and even makes the light look less red like the hortilux ballast) now at 7 months the bulbs seem degraded.

I did have the best yields ever after i got the new ballasts with new bulbs.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I started a second cloning area I'm back to
I just got my 2 new hortilux 600 super hps in the mail. With my older galaxy ballasts i could go 10 months but with the new solis tech (which runs right to spec and even makes the light look less red like the hortilux ballast) now at 7 months the bulbs seem degraded.

Always hear about those bulbs but never tried them, I know they're pricey. I buy the $24 Vivo sun and try to replace them every 6 mo., 8 at the most, this time I'm close to 10, kind of lost track I guess? The other night I noticed it was so freaking orange I realize that I must be past due

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

So light systems only last one grow now? Damn. Those used workhorse 250 watt MH I had 40 years ago produced several nice cycles before I hung it up. Never noticed any difference but I didn't know what to look for back then and every run was a different bag seed. All I remember, and I was stoned mind you, is it was all good.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So I started a second cloning area I'm back to

Always hear about those bulbs but never tried them, I know they're pricey. I buy the $24 Vivo sun and try to replace them every 6 mo., 8 at the most, this time I'm close to 10, kind of lost track I guess? The other night I noticed it was so freaking orange I realize that I must be past due

I only tried cheaper bulbs once. And one failed almost right away. Never had a hortilux fail. And it has more blue in it.

I do pay 70 shipped.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So light systems only last one grow now? Damn. Those used workhorse 250 watt MH I had 40 years ago produced several nice cycles before I hung it up. Never noticed any difference but I didn't know what to look for back then and every run was a different bag seed. All I remember, and I was stoned mind you, is it was all good.

I only flower with them so 3-5 cycles i was getting. But this is for optimal growth and results. They work much longer if you dont care about yield so much.

Moshmen

Moshmen

It’s all about quality and quantity

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Small argument to be made for cost vs gain also.

We always ran budget bulbs in the large grows. I was the designated grower for one place with 80 lights total in 2 flower rooms and I replaced lamps every 6 months over the course of about 5 years so 10 times, about 800 bulbs. Only ever saw a small handful fail, less than 5 iirc, but my memory is kinda fuzzy on the exact number. And honestly I'm pretty sure those failed because I got horticultural oil on them using the atomizer.

I started using the hortilux lamps when I set up my small personal grow at home because 2 lights, it's easy to eat the extra cost on that. I didnt see much difference and the last run i switched back to cheap bulbs, again saw no real change in plant growth. But I did have overfeeding issues so i suppose it's not the best example, but I'm not convinced hortilux is worth the extra money. Even the cheaper bulbs have enhanced spectrum with more blue now.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

We always ran budget bulbs in the large grows. I was the designated grower for one place with 80 lights total in 2 flower rooms and I replaced lamps every 6 months over the course of about 5 years so 10 times, about 800 bulbs. Only ever saw a small handful fail, less than 5 iirc, but my memory is kinda fuzzy on the exact number. And honestly I'm pretty sure those failed because I got horticultural oil on them using the atomizer.

I started using the hortilux lamps when I set up my small personal grow at home because 2 lights, it's easy to eat the extra cost on that. I didnt see much difference and the last run i switched back to cheap bulbs, again saw no real change in plant growth. But I did have overfeeding issues so i suppose it's not the best example, but I'm not convinced hortilux is worth the extra money. Even the cheaper bulbs have enhanced spectrum with more blue now.

I realize my bulb failure was an isolated incident. But the extra cost doesnt bother me and i trust the hortilux bulbs. Its worth it to me.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I realize my bulb failure was an isolated incident. But the extra cost doesnt bother me and i trust the hortilux bulbs. Its worth it to me.

For sure, not knocking anyone for using high end gear. They are arguably the best bulbs you can get and if the cost isnt a concern, they're a fantastic lamp. And the trust factor is worth the extra cost Im sure. If I had a cheap break instantly on me I'd probably feel the same.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Whoo who new bulbs! I know the feeling

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
For sure, not knocking anyone for using high end gear. They are arguably the best bulbs you can get and if the cost isnt a concern, they're a fantastic lamp. And the trust factor is worth the extra cost Im sure. If I had a cheap break instantly on me I'd probably feel the same.
I've never had a cheep light break but they just don't have the intensity after a while.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've never had a cheep light break but they just don't have the intensity after a while.

Technology is mostly the same, Hortilux is just tuned a bit different and built to a higher QC standard. Any single ended HPS lamp should be changed after 6 months of constant use if you want best performance from them. Of course that's a rough guide, but after that they will all start to produce more heat and a diminished intensity and spectrum. In the past 2 years running hortilux myself I'd say they performed about the same as any other bulb I've ever used in terms of lifespan.

The important aspect for improving lamp lifespan is using a quality ballast. Newer high quality digital ballasts greatly improve lamp life.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I will say though, not all cheapos are built the same. It's for sure a gamble at times.. I used one brand I cant remember the name of but they had bent distorted metal in them and blackened glass within a month.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I will say though, not all cheapos are built the same. It's for sure a gamble at times.. I used one brand I cant remember the name of but they had bent distorted metal in them and blackened glass within a month.

From tests i have read most ballasts are not up to proper spec. At growers house solis tech and phantom put out 15% more light. Lumitec was like almost 30% lower for output. My old galaxy did poorly as well.

Hortilux makes a big deal of this to get proper spectrum.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Cloning Drama:
Since the Jinx from Friday the 13th last month 🙊 I've gotten exactly two clones out of either three or four sets from the bubbler, where previously I had 100% rooting..

Back to the root riots 🍀 hopefully that will change the luck!? 🤞
20191028 180229

Top Bottom