the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

Day 2

So they're still there this morning, and no slugs LOL 🐚

Speaking of slugs I got a great tip from a gardening board I belong to, she recommended nuking eggshells and then crushing them and putting them around the base of the plant as slugs don't like to crawl over them apparently, same principal as DE, I'm going to give it a try

I throw my eggshells out into the garden anyway but now I'll do it with a purpose
Copper wire or pipe works better than anything else I've tried. Never once had a plant bitten with copper around its base😉

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Being away from the cannabis community for several years and coming back is, I don't want to use the overused term culture shock, but it is surprising that the trends have changed so much in just a handful of years! Has anyone else experienced this?

I've now learned that pH doesn't matter, everything is light burn and you have to watch out for hot soil ...and baloney to all three 😂🤣😂

I've already talked about pH above, if you don't adjust it good luck to you, don't care.

Regarding HOT SOIL, I've used nothing but some combination of soil, pro mix & worm castings for a decade, and in my opinion there is no such thing as hot soil, but there are hot clumps in the bag, and they can cause all kinds of issues if directly in contact with a seedling or small clone.

Soil should always be mixed well to break up hot clumps.

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

The three musketeers survived yesterday's downpour that would have freaked Noah out!

We got an inch in under an hour according to the rain gauge

IMG 20240524 1056272
Last edited:
M

MrBeach

Unfortunately, sluggo is the only thing that really works against slugs/snails.

I have used the copper tape that they sell at my local garden center on my fabric pots. It is kinda fun to watch them suckers cross it while I'm out back toking. It's kinda like an electric fence to them. You can tell by how their antennae react when they touch it. The reality is that they cross it anyways if they smell goodies on the other side. The tape I bought was 1 inch wide. I have since learned that it has to be at least 6 inches to be effective.

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Unfortunately, sluggo is the only thing that really works against slugs/snails.

I have used the copper tape that they sell at my local garden center on my fabric pots. It is kinda fun to watch them suckers cross it while I'm out back toking. It's kinda like an electric fence to them. You can tell by how their antennae react when they touch it. The reality is that they cross it anyways if they smell goodies on the other side. The tape I bought was 1 inch wide. I have since learned that it has to be at least 6 inches to be effective.
I'm probably going to go with the beer cans buried in the ground once I get all the vegetables planted

it's the back garden adjacent to the hayfield that gets the heavy action, I'm going to keep standing out there with my first coffee & joint of the day squishing them with my boots every morning

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Both gardens are tilled and half of the squash mounds are built

but a possible tick bite cut my workday short, something bit me in my sleep but there's no tick in it so I don't rightly know what it is for sure?

I guess it could be a spider bite🙏🏻 but anyway I had to take an antihistamine because the calamine just wasn't cutting it, so it's nap time for sure

I'll try to get some peppers in later on or tomorrow

RQS cheese plants still looking good in the right front

IMG 20240525 070516
IMG 20240524 164824
PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

I'm probably going to go with the beer cans buried in the ground once I get all the vegetables planted

it's the back garden adjacent to the hayfield that gets the heavy action, I'm going to keep standing out there with my first coffee & joint of the day squishing them with my boots every morning
Copper or bait is all I find that works on those bastards I've lost 200+ seedlings in the past in one night several times through the years.

I frame garden areas with copper pipe or copper wire
20240528 140220
20240528 115235

around the base of the plant. The above Starry Eyed suffered a few nips a couple nights ago and why I took the time yesterday to strip more wire. I've tried the beer with little success.

20240528 172405
20240528 172339
Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Copper or bait is all I find that works on those bastards I've lost 200+ seedlings in the past in one night several times through the years.

I frame garden areas with copper pipe or copper wire
View attachment 2181723View attachment 2181724
around the base of the plant. The above Starry Eyed suffered a few nips a couple nights ago and why I took the time yesterday to strip more wire. I've tried the beer with little success.
I have a bunch of wire that was here when I moved in so at some point I'm going to get my strippers out and try that

Right now I'm just tying up loose ends around the garden, finally got it all in, little shy of 500 square feet

These are the plants this morning, even Mr stretchy looks better!

IMG 20240530 061336
IMG 20240530 061347
Beachbumm

Beachbumm

My 2¢, I don't know where the cult of "don't worry about the pH" came from but that's probably the worst general advice I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I think it depends on a lot of factors! How bad your water is to begin with, how much money you want to blow, etc. there’s a lot of pretty successful growers here that don’t pH! I grow 11 or 12 35 or 40 gallon pots! It’s all I can do just water the fuckers! L O L! I’m not about to start PHing! But if I wanted to bad enough, I’m sure there are ways to do it! A lot depends on the individual Circumstances.

Last edited:
Beachbumm

Beachbumm

I think it depends on a lot of factors! How bad your water is to begin with, how much money you want to blow, etc. there’s a lot of pretty successful growers here that don’t pH! I grow 11 or 12 35 or 40 gallon pots! It’s all I can do just water the fuckers! L O L! I’m not about to start PHing! But if I wanted to bad enough, I’m sure there are ways to do it! A lot depends on the individual Circumstances.
I can grow without ph'ing too, but that's still terrible advice to give some newbie, especially when it's obvious that the problem with their plant is low PH in the root zone.

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

5/31/24

All three are RQS Cheese plants have begun to flower absolutely bang-on schedule!

I want to finish up this set in time to get a second set of RQS purple punch Autos planted for a fall harvest, which can be tricky here in northern Maine

Edit: I didn't have a camera with me this morning while I was watering, it's cold out 42° so I hurried the hell up LOL I'll grab some pictures this afternoon

Last edited:
TreeBee

TreeBee

Bakers or brewers yeast in some sugar water works like beer if you don't drink and don't want to have to buy beer.

Beachbumm

Beachbumm

Bakers or brewers yeast in some sugar water works like beer if you don't drink and don't want to have to buy beer.

That's a great tip because I change out the hummingbird sugar-water every other day, now I know what to do with it, thanks!

Top Bottom