The Best Led On The Market?

• Thread starter aquashield
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BlueCollarMedz

BlueCollarMedz

It is interesting that Growers Choice is already advertising a new light. The ROI-680's did not work out for me. I saw a lumitek product the other day at the shop and it is the same light as the Growers Choice ROI-680. Also I would be more interested in comparing the 720 to the Fluence Syder 2I. The Fluence gear is great stuff in my opinion. In my experience with LED grow lights, there is a direct association with Cal Mag needs and spectrum. More Cal Mag means the light is pushing out more far reds and UV. I seriously question any company having a better understanding of the plants light needs than Gavita and Fluence. I say gavita because of their influence with the DE market and Fluence for their designs and well they are owned by Osram and have been for some time. With Osram owning them it pretty much makes them the leader of the pack in my opinion.

BlueCollarMedz

BlueCollarMedz

Ive quantum sensored the 1700es and the 680s the fluences and the readings are stronger with the 720s all around better average ppf in a 5 by 5 the new lumateks do look legit also though spyder gavita and growers choice as well as the hortilux i feel all are very close the rail lights shit on quantum boards the qbs are to focused ive seen what the 650r diablo can do by an ecperienced grower qb grows need more training skills because of the direct focus but trying to truly make it better from the industry leaders compared is like splitting hairs you want a good led spend 1000 to 1500 end of story lol

BlueCollarMedz

BlueCollarMedz

What are your guys thoughts on these??? heard raging kush is cool to uou guys ever heard of mammoth lighting what all these lights lack though is good UV except for the 700es by horti buuut... mammoth has a new one im interested in

Screenshot 20200820 062325 Chrome
Screenshot 20200820 062328 Chrome
Screenshot 20200820 062334 Chrome
44frye

44frye

The numbers to focus on are DLI (Daily Light Integral) and PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density). The recommended DLI for Cannabis is between 20-40 moles or 20-40 million micromoles/day.

Between 20-30 moles/day we see a very large increase in production and somewhere between 30-40 moles/day it levels off. 40+ moles/day becomes counterproductive. PPFD is the amount of (active) photons the light is putting out that the plant could use, and it’s measured in micromoles/m^2/sec.

So with 18hr of 471 micromoles/sec @~16in from canopy; you’d be sitting at about 30.5 moles/day. In flower with 12 hr of 630 micromoles/second @ ~12 inches from canopy for a total of 27.2 moles/day. I get the specs above//

I use the Carambola CBG1000VF for an indoor grow.. cost me 80 bucks on Amazon and it is phenomenal, it’s composed of 288 LED diodes: 162 Sunlight 3500K, 86 Purple(2.5%), 18 Purple(25%), and 4 UVA and has a bloom switch that toggles in your Far red (FR) and UVA for perks with flowering. For what I do with my space, it was the most efficient. Good luck with finding your light!

Edit:
Consumption @ 125W
Efficiency:2.2 μmol/J
Light B:GY:R:FR : 12%:30%:48%:8%
LED Chip: SANAN 1231*2

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The numbers to focus on are DLI (Daily Light Integral) and PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density). The recommended DLI for Cannabis is between 20-40 moles or 20-40 million micromoles/day.

Between 20-30 moles/day we see a very large increase in production and somewhere between 30-40 moles/day it levels off. 40+ moles/day becomes counterproductive. PPFD is the amount of (active) photons the light is putting out that the plant could use, and it’s measured in micromoles/m^2/sec. So with 18hr of 471 micromoles/sec @~16in from canopy; you’d be sitting at about 30.5 moles/day. In flower with 12 hr of 630 micromoles/second @ ~12 inches from canopy for a total of 27.2 moles/day. I get the specs above// I use the Carambola CBG1000VF for an indoor grow.. cost me 80 bucks on Amazon and it is phenomenal, it’s composed of 288 LED diodes: 162 Sunlight 3500K, 86 Purple(2.5%), 18 Purple(25%), and 4 UVA and has a bloom switch that toggles in your Far red (FR) and UVA for perks with flowering. For what I do with my space, it was the most efficient. Good luck with finding your light!
Very much dependant on Co2 levels and many other factors but i would say beneficial up to 60 mol your numbers seem a bit low to me but each grow room will vary.

Also UVA is more for synergy with photosynthesis while UVB provides the benefit of increasing thc and diversity of cannabinoids in flowering. Pretty much any UV diodes will provide insignificant amounts in the fixtures we use.

Last edited:
44frye

44frye

Very much dependant on Co2 levels and many other factors but i would say beneficial up to 60 mol your numbers seem a bit low to me but each grow room will vary
CO^2 levels are something I left out. If you’re going to be attempting the higher DLI’s and shooting for more photosynthesis to occur, CO^2 is a necessary variable to adjust, as will be how often you water them. I’ve never heard any reference to 60 moles being beneficial. However if it works for you, more power to ya!
9FD05A8E 479B 4CC9 BE76 63F8778C8276

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

CO^2 levels are something I left out. If you’re going to be attempting the higher DLI’s and shooting for more photosynthesis to occur, CO^2 is a necessary variable to adjust, as will be how often you water them. I’ve never heard any reference to 60 moles being beneficial. However if it works for you, more power to ya! View attachment 1021946

I run co2 and I can say first hand you can easily run much higher than 40 mol. Im not gonna bother with doing the math but typically about 1000ppfd in flower is about max at 400ppm co2. I run around 1400ppfd at 1200 ppm co2 in flower on 12/12.

Just to add to that. Most basements sit around 1000pp. Of co2

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

CO^2 levels are something I left out. If you’re going to be attempting the higher DLI’s and shooting for more photosynthesis to occur, CO^2 is a necessary variable to adjust, as will be how often you water them. I’ve never heard any reference to 60 moles being beneficial. However if it works for you, more power to ya! View attachment 1021946
Can I ask where this chart came from? Is it related to cannabis and is the green supposed to be the target?

Nevermind I found it. This is not even related to cannabis.

44frye

44frye

[UVA]

UVA (315-400nm) has been shown to increase the amounts of THC, CBD, and terpene production in cannabis plants, without the negative effects of UVB. Wavelengths in the UVA spectral range are included in the absorption spectrum, particularly in the 380nm range. Additionally, research has shown that exposing plants to UVA light can also inhibit mold growth and fungal development.

[UVB]

UVB (280-315nm) is known to damage protein and nucleic acids in plant cells, causing decreased metabolism and decreased number of flowers. UVB can have positive effects for plants as well. Cannabis responds to the stress and sunburn from UVB wavelengths, by creating it’s own sunscreen in the form of trichomes.

[UVC]

UVC (200-280nm) has the shortest wavelength and most energy, but is potentially the most stressful to plants and human skin causing sunburn and can be very damaging to human eyes. Fortunately, for humans and plants atmospheric absorption eliminates the majority of UVC shortwave light.

[FR]

Far-red (>700nm) and infrared light can also be a very effective at promoting robust stem growth, proper node spacing, and more flowers and fruit.

The protein Phytochrome is the only known receptor that is sensitive to far-red/infrared wavelengths. Plants use Phytrochrome to regulate when a plants is to switch from vegetation state to flowering, and the time of flowering, due to the length of daylight or exposure to artificial light.

44frye

44frye

Can I ask where this chart came from? Is it related to cannabis and is the green supposed to be the target?

Nevermind I found it. This is not even related to cannabis.

Correct. it’s not a chart specifically about cannabis. Its a chart that makes finding the DLI of a specific PPFD easier, and it’s even color coded for growing different varieties of plants; There’s even a chart for different growth stages of all different varieties of plants.

44frye

44frye

I run co2 and I can say first hand you can easily run much higher than 40 mol. Im not gonna bother with doing the math but typically about 1000ppfd in flower is about max at 400ppm co2. I run around 1400ppfd at 1200 ppm co2 in flower on 12/12.

Just to add to that. Most basements sit around 1000pp. Of co2
Seen this guy, but never all the way through. That’s incredible that theyve pushed cannabis up to 1800 micromoles/sec. I almost outgrew myself with 630 last harvest.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

[UVA]

UVA (315-400nm) has been shown to increase the amounts of THC, CBD, and terpene production in cannabis plants, without the negative effects of UVB. Wavelengths in the UVA spectral range are included in the absorption spectrum, particularly in the 380nm range. Additionally, research has shown that exposing plants to UVA light can also inhibit mold growth and fungal development.

[UVB]

UVB (280-315nm) is known to damage protein and nucleic acids in plant cells, causing decreased metabolism and decreased number of flowers. UVB can have positive effects for plants as well. Cannabis responds to the stress and sunburn from UVB wavelengths, by creating it’s own sunscreen in the form of trichomes.

[UVC]

UVC (200-280nm) has the shortest wavelength and most energy, but is potentially the most stressful to plants and human skin causing sunburn and can be very damaging to human eyes. Fortunately, for humans and plants atmospheric absorption eliminates the majority of UVC shortwave light.

[FR]

Far-red (>700nm) and infrared light can also be a very effective at promoting robust stem growth, proper node spacing, and more flowers and fruit.

The protein Phytochrome is the only known receptor that is sensitive to far-red/infrared wavelengths. Plants use Phytrochrome to regulate when a plants is to switch from vegetation state to flowering, and the time of flowering, due to the length of daylight or exposure to artificial light.

I should have said both are beneficial and I was mistaken the uvb helps promote photosynthesis. But my point is that the amount of UV created by your lights is insignificant and not nearly enough to see the benefits as seen in these and other studies.

This same study suggested that there is a synergy between UV-A and blue wavelengths that induces cannabigerol accumulation in cannabis flowers.

Blue light activates Zeitlupe (ZTL) family function, a group of proteins that plays a role in circadian clock regulation, wherein their light-dependent function allows modulation of internal timing signals (Kim et al., 2007). Accordingly, optimal lighting regimes for cannabis growth and production should take advantage of this temporal regulation initiated by the circadian clock and light-sensitive ZTL protein function.

Wavelengths of light that are shorter than the PAR spectrum [e.g., violet light and UV (<400 nm) radiation] have limited photosynthesis; however, discrete photomorphogenic effects are observed when UV-B (290320 nm) sensing systems are triggered (Frohnmeyer and Staiger, 2003; Folta and Carvalho, 2015). UV-B radiation is perceived via the UV-B photoreceptor UV resistance locus 8 (UVR8). Although UV-B represents a threat to plant integrity in large quantities, smaller quantities of UV-B have important benefits such as promoting pest resistance, increasing flavonoid accumulation, improving photosynthetic efficiency, and serving as an indicator of direct sunlight and sunflecks (Ballaré et al., 2012; Wargent and Jordan, 2013; Zoratti et al., 2014; Moriconi et al., 2018). Further to this, some UV-B responses can also be modulated by a UVR8-independent signal and UV-A radiation, since plants’ responses to UV-B light are regulated by both UVR8-dependent and -independent pathways (Morales et al., 2013; Li et al., 2015; Jenkins, 2017). UV-B light reportedly elicits THC accumulation in both leaves and buds (Pate, 1983; Lydon et al., 1987; Potter and Duncombe, 2012).

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

[UVA]

[UVB]

[UVC]

[FR]

Can you link where you copied this from so I can see. Because it appears they are interpretating that the photoreceptors and processes for uva and uvb to be the same. When in fact they are not. At least thats how it appears they are generalizing it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm curious how many years of experience with led you have? I haven't heard of ppl maxing out below 700ppfd ever.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Yes i do. Have several spydr x, gavita 1650e and 1700 es. Got a great deal today. A friend that bought a spydr x plus last year and ran it once sold it for 400. Going to order an adapter from trolmaster now.
Score. Woulda jumped all
Over that myself haha.

Nonsmoker.grower

Nonsmoker.grower

The Fohse A3i is by far The best out there hands down. I have been looking for a light since Thanksgiving. Now I have found it. This is the best light for my grow room. The only problem with this site is there are way to many know it all's!!!! Look ,is it for you ,does it fell right, and in your budget? Go for it. Make the best out of what you want. Not by someone that can tell you the spectrum of light that can shine through your butthole and out your eyes and tell you alot of shit you don't need to know. Just to make them selves look good. And sound arrogant and ignorant as all hell. Best way to learn anything is trial and error. Love what you do and happy growing everyone. ☀️🚿🌱😊

Last edited:
Top Bottom