the best way to harvest and get WEIGHT...

• Thread starter theslums
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

theslums

im about to harvest in a week and i need them to be dry but compact. does anyone have there method of how to keep the desired dense wieght on without mold. thanks

G

Green Supreme

Keep air moving and no nugs touching each other. Not sure you can adjust density by the way you harvest. Peace GS

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

research drying and curing lots of good information out here. i cant say i know that different drying methods can change the density i doubt it but it will for sure change the smell. the only recommendation I'll make is dry it slow don't rush it by cranking up the heat and dialing down the humidity. a few extra days without doing this means a harvest worth of smoke that smells better!

personally i like to go to paper bags for a day when they are getting close then go to sealed containers that are burped until moisture is consistent from top to bottom of the container and outside of a sample bud to the inside and it no longer has additional moisture on the outside of a bud vs the inside after being in a sealed container for 24 hours. once you get consistency you're good to go no need to burp anymore. i believe the ideal humidity of your container should be 55-60% from what i read elsewhere in a tutorial called "the perfect cure" where they used mini hygrometers and put them in the canning jars so they could watch the humidity!

no trick to weight either that i know of it's dry or it's not. it's heavier the more moist it is but if you want the best product then the correct dryness is required and there is no way to influence the final weight if that's the goal.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Best advice I can give is, grow it dense and voila; it'll dry dense most likely...or you can do some hocus pocus...

dextr0

dextr0

^^55-60 RH are what Simon stated to use when using a hygrometer.
Just wanted to clear that up.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

^^55-60 RH are what Simon stated to use when using a hygrometer.
Just wanted to clear that up.

thanks for catching that bro i should have went to the site and checked before i opened my mouth! fixing original post now

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I'm pretty sure the answer hes lookin for is how to speed dry buds for commercial sale. The best way to do it imo is to hang the buds upside down and put a light fan on them and just let um run like that for 3 to 4 Days then bag it in double seal bags and don't open and you'll be good to go, lots of commercial growers in the midwest do it, but they also sell it a bit cheaper lol. I'll take my cured buds, hope this helps man, take it easy

T

theslums

i want my buds to be as compact as possible so they weigh heavier

G

Green Supreme

Then grow a tight structured plant properly and no problems, no tricks. Peace GS

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
your buds are going to dry up to what your buds dry too

you cant magically make them more dense or heavier after you harvest them

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

i think you are slightly confused. the amount of plant matter determines the dried weight. a 1 gram bud is a 1 gram bud regardless if it's as tiny as a marble or the same amount of material is fluffy and as big as a softball. what you are after happens in the growing phase not the drying phase. grow bigger more dense buds that's the only way nothing in the drying process will take the same bud and make it more dense and weigh more that would require more plant matter.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

also there was a typo in the guys post about using a fan i'm sure he meant 3 or 4 days not weeks lol.

M

Mr. Greenthum

Hang ur buds upside down until the stem turns hollow like a straw and ur buds feel dry make sure u dry in total darkness. if u dont dry in the dark the light makes the leaves and the hairs curl OUT instead of curling IN the temps should be at 75 degrees F. this is how i cure and get the best pot

R

robz

Hang ur buds upside down until the stem turns hollow like a straw and ur buds feel dry make sure u dry in total darkness. if u dont dry in the dark the light makes the leaves and the hairs curl OUT instead of curling IN the temps should be at 75 degrees F. this is how i cure and get the best pot

Good info. Glad to hear the 75 degree. I thought I might of been running mine to warm at 72 with 39% humidity. But it's been working well for me. Nice dry nugs after 4-5 days ready for a 24 hr. Stint in a shoe box then into jars. Been working great for my nice rock solid Querkle buds.

D

Duder

Does anybody know at what point the buds stop "losing weight"? Like when it's done drying and moving to cure, the buds still lose a little weight as they get dryer. Does anybody know when the dry weight stays constant?

M

MMJInsiders

Does anybody know at what point the buds stop "losing weight"? Like when it's done drying and moving to cure, the buds still lose a little weight as they get dryer. Does anybody know when the dry weight stays constant?

You want to bring the RH down to and then maintain 60% RH through dry and cure. At 50% or so bud is dry and crumbly. 60% smokes great, 65% gives a little more stickiness, bag appeal. 60% is perfect for storage.

Density is something you will add during the grow phase, not the dry/cure phase. You can always fake it a bit, roll it in a plastic bag to compress it etc, but then your faking it...

Dry slow, keep indirect airflow, maintain humidity.

M

MMJInsiders

LOL, I have an OG that the leaves fall off of as she nears harvest...

D

Duder

You want to bring the RH down to and then maintain 60% RH through dry and cure. At 50% or so bud is dry and crumbly. 60% smokes great, 65% gives a little more stickiness, bag appeal. 60% is perfect for storage.

Hey, thanks for the reply but I think you misunderstood my question a bit. I wasn't asking when its ready to go or what RH is the best smoke. During the drying/curing process (from wet to dry), at what point do they stop losing weight? A fresh wet bud is heavier than a finished dried one.

Does it maintain weight right after drying? Or does it continue to drop during curing? Basically, at what point can you tell exactly how much weight you harvest?

Top Bottom