the best way to harvest and get WEIGHT...

• Thread starter theslums
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MMJInsiders

Well, I dry to and cure at 60%. I smoke at and sell at 60%. I store at 60%. What happens to it after that I don't know. But, what I do know, is at 50% or so it is over dry, crumbly and harsher. I believe by this point, any change in weight is negligible.

My bud is considered done and final weight established when it is at 60% RH. I cure after this, but I know what I have before it goes into hermetically sealed jars and it comes out the weight it went in, only better tasting and more potent.

I hope this clarifies it. If not, I got nothing.

D

Duder

MMJ, yes it did clarify more, thx! So I've been drying @ at 60% RH a couple days now, how will I know when the goods are at 60% RH? Glass-jarring and using something like a Caliber III Digital Hygrometer? Or would there be another way to figure out while they're hanging still? Thx again!

M

MMJInsiders

Bingo, the Calibers are great hygrometers and will guide you in. You can glass jar it and test. I keep my environment that the buds are drying in at a specific RH and use a similar hygrometer to watch RH and temp. The key is to dry slow, don't rush it.

I dry in tents. I use Trim Scene racks. We use the 6 level racks inside a hydro hut style tent that's aprox 2.5'w x 5'l x 7'h, 2 racks per tent (handles 6lbs each tent very nicely). There is a digital humidifier in the center set to keep the humidity at 60% RH. The humidifier is plugged into a humidistat set to 55% RH. This allows some fluctuation to help draw out moisture from deep inside the bud. There is also a small scrubber exchanging air in each tent. With this setup it takes 7-10 days to be perfect, ready for cure. Once put in jars, we usually see 63-65% RH and we burb till 60% then its on to longer term vacuum sealed storage.

lazarus718

lazarus718

Anyone know any specific strains that trim themselves?

Yeah, they call it "Mr. Clean"...baldess damn nugs you'll ever see. Gets to week 8 of flower and sheds everything, pretty impressive stuff man. And, it weighs more as it dries!!!

The Joker

The Joker

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Stop giving this guy bad advise ! Some of it is very funny, the leaves curling out one is pretty good.

Bud density is determined by genetics. Sativas grown indoors can be quite fluffy and some indicas so dense they get mold.

What you should be concerned about in your cure is the quality of your smoke. That's the purpose. The quality of your final product is determined by not overfertilizing and then a good cure.

You want to increase your yield? That's all in the plants you choose to grow and how you grow them. Your food regimen, your training or growing method and the light you choose all determine yield. I've gotten 7 oz off a single 28" high Chemdog D without trying too hard. I busted my ass growing Bubba Kush and got about 13 oz off 6 plants.

There are a lot of good threads showing peoples pruning methods, SOG methods, SCROG methods and feeding schedules to show how they increase yield.

Growing involves a lot of trial and error. Finding which grow method works for you. Finding which curing technique works in your environment. Finding which strain will give you what you are looking for. There are no shortcuts or instant gratifications.

You will just have to work hard at it. But if you choose that path, there are lots of great growers who will help you as long as you have a good heart.

R

Reefer Franklin

Hang ur buds upside down until the stem turns hollow like a straw and ur buds feel dry make sure u dry in total darkness. if u dont dry in the dark the light makes the leaves and the hairs curl OUT instead of curling IN the temps should be at 75 degrees F. this is how i cure and get the best pot

Wouldn't leaves curling out be a positive thing when it comes to trimming ?
And are you drying the plants without curing them ? Isn't that the wrong way round ?

I thought that buds cure at 60-70 degrees with humidity =< 50. The chlorophyll breaks down under these conditions and gives a smoother smoke and a prettier appearance. Are you drying THEN curing ?

Thanks,

The Reef

T

TwoCreeks Redux

Don't rush it.....If they dry too fast, they will get dry and crumbly.
If they dry too slowly, they will be composting at the same time as they dry.
You want them to get progressively drier each day. I like mine to get dry enough to cut from the stem in about 6 days. Then into grocery bags for a few days until the final trim, a day or so more in bags and then into glass.

Top Bottom