The Biggest Misconception In Indoor Lighting Broken Down By Dgl

• Thread starter DGL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DGL

Hey guys DGL Here from Luigis Coop In So-Cal Gonna Drop a bit of Knowledge please read the Article Until the end Before you Comment ps im releasing info on thc farmer because i recently had some concerns with negative pressure within a Non-Sealed Environment and you guys cleared that up asap for me! so heres my thanks or contribution to the Farm!

Before We Begin Let me give you a bit of info on my Grow Space I Flower Under Tables each Table has a 1000wattt 2K hps Hortuilux and a 1000watt 10k MH Solis-Tek Both Within A Raptor Dual Bulb Hood, The Size of each table is 5 Feet Wide x 6 Feet Long And i pull 3LB's Per Table on Average with c02 at 1000ppm know lets begin.

The Biggest misconception in Indoor Lighting Is that you can Use HPS Bulb's Alone to Fully Energize every photosynthetic Process within a cannabis plant.

The biggest misconception in indoor lighting is that photo-synthetically active photon's(HPS Bulb's Primary Spectrum) fluctuated at a low density(core and coil ballast) or high density(digital ballast) will equal full photosynthesis this is a lie because you need more then just photons that are able to be taken in by Chlorophyll A & B Receptors to produce full photosynthesis........... even emitting photons within a certain nanometer range that chlorophyll A & B Receptors Cannot Take in for energy will still energize photosynthetic processes(UVA, UVB).

you need to emit high amounts of UVA, And UVB for multiple reasons that will be discussed but the main reason is if you do not emit UVA / UVB Spectra onto the trychomb spheres you will have pure molecule precursors of terpines, flavanoids, THC, cbd's, etc... and no actual compounds of essential oils within thrychomb spheres pure precursor molecules.

By Ed Rosenthal On UVB

UVB from 290 nm to 320 nm is useful to plants that use it to
produce flavonoids and terpenes, including THC in cannabis. UVA from 320 nm to 400 nm
is also very important for plant growth and is able to contribute to photosynthesis as well as
other responses such as phototropism.

But the best standalone Grow-light in the industry for the ENTIRE bloom phase is Hortilux HPS this Light Bulb Produces Baisically NO UVB From the Nano-meter range of 290 nm - 320 nm, remember UVB is less energetic but more penetrating to the canopy!, to amlost No UVA From the NM range of 320 nm - 400 nm which is more energetic but less penetrating to the canopy, Lets take a look at the Single Ended 1000 watt Super HPS Grow Lights Spectrum By Hortilux
Lu1000bhtlen

Notice how Hortilux Spectrum doesn't even Show 290-400nm Then Lets See a 10K MH Spectrum My Favorite Choice as Supplemental lighting for The Entire Bloom Phase.
10kspectrum663172d10e53e44b262ada75ae921a52

Notice How this Bulb Has Massive UV This is a 10k MH From Solis Tek.

So why is Hortilux Considered the best Grow Light In this Industry? Because it Produces the Most Spectral Energy out of any other bulb on the market and most of that spectral energy is Within The PAR Nano-Meter Range which is simply 480 NM - 720 NM of the light spectrum and when photons are emitted within this nano-meter range which is 480-720 NM photons are then able to be taken in by Chlorophyll A & B Receptors. So Will A Hortilux HPS give you the biggest yield in my opinion? YES! but you will not be able to Energize every photosynthetic Process within the cannabis Plant.

So is High Pressure Sodium the best Stand Alone bulb in the industry for the bloom cycle? Depends on what you want, do you want to sacrifice a bit of potency In Essential Oil's and extra resin production To Decrease Flowering time and Buff up yields? then HPS IS for you! But if you are after Top Shelf Runs Then Try Supplementing your Grow Footprint with a bit of Extra UVB / UVA and on the bright Side There is no Known Pathogen That can Live Past a Dose of UVC so if your having Mold mildew or even bacteria problems in your grow space grab a 10k MH it will HELP ALOT! especially in Sealed Environments also the production in certain Hormones like auxins, will increase! and you will energize more Photosynthetic Processes like phototropism.

Remember UVB Is what you want but UVA is what you will usually get unless you buy a special UVB Emitting Light, None the less Some UV Spectra Is better then No UV Spectra imo.

Here is a legend or breakdown of certain words and facts,

B. core and coil ballast's fall under the low density photon fluctuation category is because core and coil ballast's only produce 40/60 hz of RF meaning that the amount of photons the light bulb is fluctuating per second(Photon Flux Density) is in lamens terms only 40 - 60 hz worth of photons and this produces a Ultra Low Frequency Light Source, the sun is a Ultra high Frequency Light Source this is a Alien Light Source to the plant.

C. Digital Ballast's Fall Under a high photon density light source because digital ballasts produce 100k-150k HZ worth of RF meaning the amount of photons the light bulb is fluctuating per second(Photon Flux Density) is in lamens terms 100k - 150k worth of photons and this produces a Ultra High Frequency Light Source.

D. UVA is more energetic but less penetrating to the canopy.

E. UVB is less energetic but more penetrating to the canopy.

F. Chlorophyll is the molecule that absorbs sunlight and uses its energy to synthesis carbohydrates from CO2 and water(Chlorophyll A & B Receptors).

G. According to multiple sources (NASA, FDA, and others) here are the wavelengths of the UVA, UVB and UVC regions:

UVA 400 nm - 320 nm
UVB 320 nm - 290 nm
UVC 290 nm - 100 nm

Ps. TK or Some guy with a light aka the mod on here is one of the only growers i Actually Respect!.

Last edited:
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Guess you didnt read the other uv thread... your yields are kinda low too... .9-1.1gpw is much better.
Still good info though. I recommend the reptisuns 10.0 or the exoterra 200s but anything with uv(B) helps a bunch.

2016 03 05 082541
2016 02 29 180803
Screenshot 2016 02 27 22 07 17
Screenshot 2016 03 02 15 03 23
D

DGL

thank you for the tips GT21 , i have not looked into any other uv threads!, i am going to take a look atm and yeah dude 1.1G yields would be killer but atm not pulling that GPW at all.
Always used hortilux for a very long time.
Was wondering about throwing a mh into flower along with the hortis.
Your Welcome man glad i could help.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
thank you for the tips GT21 , i have not looked into any other uv threads!, i am going to take a look atm and yeah dude 1.1G yields would be killer but atm not pulling that GPW at all.

Your Welcome man glad i could help.
Ya there is another great thread here with about 5 pages of q&a and charts and links and stuff. All good info though for ultraviolets. Its like 5 to 10 threads down from yours

Ecompost

Ecompost

Added, I get a considerable increase in my terps, flavs, tannins and essential oils from bacterial and fungal modulations, stimulating jasmonic acid, salicylic acid, and gibberellin leading to the induction of trichomes. Yeast fungus and other known soil microbes can play a big role in heightening the related defense pathways that then deliver increased and desirable traits for us humans.
We are literally on the outside looking in when understanding this in totality, but there are many such biological interactions, from which we might benefit without resorting to additional risk that I feel are also worth investigation. The hazard of UV is well known.

20160302 212948
D

DGL

Ya there is another great thread here with about 5 pages of q&a and charts and links and stuff. All good info though for ultraviolets. Its like 5 to 10 threads down from yours
first love the pic of the garden up top! second thank you i honestly couldnt find it lol,
Added, I get a considerable increase in my terps, flavs, tannins and essential oils from bacterial and fungal modulations, stimulating jasmonic acid, salicylic acid, and gibberellin leading to the induction of trichomes. Yeast fungus and other known soil microbes can play a big role in heightening the related defense pathways that then deliver increased and desirable traits for us humans.
We are literally on the outside looking in when understanding this in totality, but there are many such biological interactions, from which we might benefit without resorting to additional risk that I feel are also worth investigation. The hazard of UV is well known.
Brother brother brother do you have a article or is there a article on this subject? what you said makes Complete Sense honestly i add massive ammounts of bacteria and fungus to the root zone for seperate reasons id like to read a entire article on this subject though ? maybe create 1?

Ecompost

Ecompost

first love the pic of the garden up top! second thank you i honestly couldnt find it lol,

Brother brother brother do you have a article or is there a article on this subject? what you said makes Complete Sense honestly i add massive ammounts of bacteria and fungus to the root zone for seperate reasons id like to read a entire article on this subject though ? maybe create 1?
yes i do http://themodern.farm/musings-on-sar-jar/

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Hey guys DGL Here from Luigis Coop In So-Cal Gonna Drop a bit of Knowledge please read the Article Until the end Before you Comment ps im releasing info on thc farmer because i recently had some concerns with negative pressure within a Non-Sealed Environment and you guys cleared that up asap for me! so heres my thanks or contribution to the Farm!

Before We Begin Let me give you a bit of info on my Grow Space I Flower Under Tables each Table has a 1000wattt 2K hps Hortuilux and a 1000watt 10k MH Solis-Tek Both Within A Raptor Dual Bulb Hood, The Size of each table is 5 Feet Wide x 6 Feet Long And i pull 3LB's Per Table on Average with c02 at 1000ppm know lets begin.

The Biggest misconception in Indoor Lighting Is that you can Use HPS Bulb's Alone to Fully Energize every photosynthetic Process within a cannabis plant.

The biggest misconception in indoor lighting is that photo-synthetically active photon's(HPS Bulb's Primary Spectrum) fluctuated at a low density(core and coil ballast) or high density(digital ballast) will equal full photosynthesis this is a lie because you need more then just photons that are able to be taken in by Chlorophyll A & B Receptors to produce full photosynthesis........... even emitting photons within a certain nanometer range that chlorophyll A & B Receptors Cannot Take in for energy will still energize photosynthetic processes(UVA, UVB).

you need to emit high amounts of UVA, And UVB for multiple reasons that will be discussed but the main reason is if you do not emit UVA / UVB Spectra onto the trychomb spheres you will have pure molecule precursors of terpines, flavanoids, THC, cbd's, etc... and no actual compounds of essential oils within thrychomb spheres pure precursor molecules.

By Ed Rosenthal On UVB

UVB from 290 nm to 320 nm is useful to plants that use it to

produce flavonoids and terpenes, including THC in cannabis. UVA from 320 nm to 400 nm

is also very important for plant growth and is able to contribute to photosynthesis as well as

other responses such as phototropism.

But the best standalone Grow-light in the industry for the ENTIRE bloom phase is Hortilux HPS this Light Bulb Produces Baisically NO UVB From the Nano-meter range of 290 nm - 320 nm, remember UVB is less energetic but more penetrating to the canopy!, to amlost No UVA From the NM range of 320 nm - 400 nm which is more energetic but less penetrating to the canopy, Lets take a look at the Single Ended 1000 watt Super HPS Grow Lights Spectrum By Hortilux

View attachment 578954

Notice how Hortilux Spectrum doesn't even Show 290-400nm Then Lets See a 10K MH Spectrum My Favorite Choice as Supplemental lighting for The Entire Bloom Phase.

View attachment 578955

Notice How this Bulb Has Massive UV This is a 10k MH From Solis Tek.

So why is Hortilux Considered the best Grow Light In this Industry? Because it Produces the Most Spectral Energy out of any other bulb on the market and most of that spectral energy is Within The PAR Nano-Meter Range which is simply 480 NM - 720 NM of the light spectrum and when photons are emitted within this nano-meter range which is 480-720 NM photons are then able to be taken in by Chlorophyll A & B Receptors. So Will A Hortilux HPS give you the biggest yield in my opinion? YES! but you will not be able to Energize every photosynthetic Process within the cannabis Plant.

So is High Pressure Sodium the best Stand Alone bulb in the industry for the bloom cycle? Depends on what you want, do you want to sacrifice a bit of potency In Essential Oil's and extra resin production To Decrease Flowering time and Buff up yields? then HPS IS for you! But if you are after Top Shelf Runs Then Try Supplementing your Grow Footprint with a bit of Extra UVB / UVA and on the bright Side There is no Known Pathogen That can Live Past a Dose of UVC so if your having Mold mildew or even bacteria problems in your grow space grab a 10k MH it will HELP ALOT! especially in Sealed Environments also the production in certain Hormones like auxins, will increase! and you will energize more Photosynthetic Processes like phototropism.

Remember UVB Is what you want but UVA is what you will usually get unless you buy a special UVB Emitting Light, None the less Some UV Spectra Is better then No UV Spectra imo.

Here is a legend or breakdown of certain words and facts,

B. core and coil ballast's fall under the low density photon fluctuation category is because core and coil ballast's only produce 40/60 hz of RF meaning that the amount of photons the light bulb is fluctuating per second(Photon Flux Density) is in lamens terms only 40 - 60 hz worth of photons and this produces a Ultra Low Frequency Light Source, the sun is a Ultra high Frequency Light Source this is a Alien Light Source to the plant.

C. Digital Ballast's Fall Under a high photon density light source because digital ballasts produce 100k-150k HZ worth of RF meaning the amount of photons the light bulb is fluctuating per second(Photon Flux Density) is in lamens terms 100k - 150k worth of photons and this produces a Ultra High Frequency Light Source.

D. UVA is more energetic but less penetrating to the canopy.

E. UVB is less energetic but more penetrating to the canopy.

F. Chlorophyll is the molecule that absorbs sunlight and uses its energy to synthesis carbohydrates from CO2 and water(Chlorophyll A & B Receptors).

G. According to multiple sources (NASA, FDA, and others) here are the wavelengths of the UVA, UVB and UVC regions:

UVA 400 nm - 320 nm

UVB 320 nm - 290 nm

UVC 290 nm - 100 nm

Ps. TK or Some guy with a light aka the mod on here is one of the only growers i Actually Respect!.

I'm suprised you didn't include the hortilux super blue m.h. spectral graph. To compare between the two products (super hps & super blue). Hortilux claims it is their best all in one light bulb (veg & flower).

Super blue m.h.
Blue

Super hps.
Shps

Comparing the hortilux with that Solis-Tek via graphs.
The super blue seems to have more overall output but slightly less uv.

Last edited:
D

DGL

I'm suprised you didn't include the hortilux super blue m.h. spectral graph. To compare between the two products (super hps & super blue). Hortilux claims it is their best all in one light bulb (veg & flower).

Super blue m.h.
View attachment 578991
Super hps.
View attachment 578992

Comparing the hortilux with that Solis-Tek via graphs.
The super blue seems to have more overall output but slightly less uv.
First i didnt include the super blue in this post because it is not relevant with what im trying to say i was dabbed out of my skull this am when i wrote this and i may have to rewrite it to get my point across and all honesty! that super blue blows away the solis tek 4k mh which is the bulb solis tek says is the best for stand alone lighting thru veg and Bloom if i was to make a thread on the best bulb for standalone lighting i would but i have never used a super blue from hortilux and if i was to give input id have to test it against a 4k MH from solis tek(which hortilux would win in the standalone lighting catagory but i cant give input on things i haven't tried or its just bullshit theory's)

my point is im not using my MH for growth im not using it for yield im honestly using it as supplemental lighting To produce more UVA / UVB for potency and UVC to help me kill any mold bacteria or viruses i may have within my growing environment im positive my 10kmh is overkill within UV but everyone says glass hoods Take away UV so i just want to pump out as much as i can since im running A/C glass hoods,
everyone has a different method of growing Top Shelf this is how i do my lighting to grab 3k+ a P depending on strain and Pheno.
But if you want my opinion on what bulb you should use as a stand alone light source through all stages of growth? roll horti super blue im positive it will be the best atm in theory!

Ecompost

Ecompost

THANK YOU!!!!!! info's blowing my mind man!
no worries bro, I make nutrients for a living, well bio stims anyway, proteins no salts, all organic with lots of microbes so I try to keep up. The microbes are where I am at really. I work in fruit and food production so learning how we might modulate the environment via biology has some interesting use cases. I just applied some of these to this crop also with some interesting outcomes :-)

Ecompost

Ecompost

I read the article but this was is the part I can't unread.

Personally, I respect anyone who takes an interest in our favorite plant.

But to each their own.
yeah I just skipped that comment as I thought it was ill considered in light of a limited knowledge of who lives on this site at times. There are more than a few stoners I know already :-)

Ecompost

Ecompost

First i didnt include the super blue in this post because it is not relevant with what im trying to say i was dabbed out of my skull this am when i wrote this and i may have to rewrite it to get my point across and all honesty! that super blue blows away the solis tek 4k mh which is the bulb solis tek says is the best for stand alone lighting thru veg and Bloom if i was to make a thread on the best bulb for standalone lighting i would but i have never used a super blue from hortilux and if i was to give input id have to test it against a 4k MH from solis tek(which hortilux would win in the standalone lighting catagory but i cant give input on things i haven't tried or its just bullshit theory's)

my point is im not using my MH for growth im not using it for yield im honestly using it as supplemental lighting To produce more UVA / UVB for potency and UVC to help me kill any mold bacteria or viruses i may have within my growing environment im positive my 10kmh is overkill within UV but everyone says glass hoods Take away UV so i just want to pump out as much as i can since im running A/C glass hoods,
everyone has a different method of growing Top Shelf this is how i do my lighting to grab 3k+ a P depending on strain and Pheno.
But if you want my opinion on what bulb you should use as a stand alone light source through all stages of growth? roll horti super blue im positive it will be the best atm in theory!
just how much CO2 do you run at 3K per plant did I read this right in that you give 3000W to a single plant??

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
yeah I just skipped that comment as I thought it was ill considered in light of a limited knowledge of who lives on this site at times. There are more than a few stoners I know already :)
Hahaha lmao. It makes me giggle

Latest posts

Top Bottom