The captain’s inquiry, what is everyone’s thoughts on stalk splitting the last week before harvest?

• Thread starter Captspaulding
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zill

Sure thing Captain!

If there was a study showing conclusively, side by side, an injured plant responds to stress by increasing nutrient uptake and that excess wave of nutrients increases everything including trichomes then I’m fully on board. But the article said, in essence, “It is thought that a plant under stress naturally increases nutrient uptake”. That’s the part I had issue with - It is thought.

But hold it. Go into an old apple orchard in the spring. Notice the apple trees that look the worst, dead limbs, full of vines actually produce more flowers and apples than a healthy apple tree in the same orchard.

All good captain! If it works for you do it.

Zill.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Sure thing Captain!

If there was a study showing conclusively, side by side, an injured plant responds to stress by increasing nutrient uptake and that excess wave of nutrients increases everything including trichomes then I’m fully on board. But the article said, in essence, “It is thought that a plant under stress naturally increases nutrient uptake”. That’s the part I had issue with - It is thought.

But hold it. Go into an old apple orchard in the spring. Notice the apple trees that look the worst, dead limbs, full of vines actually produce more flowers and apples than a healthy apple tree in the same orchard.

All good captain! If it works for you do it.

Zill.
Absolutely man! It’s that girding stuff that I haven’t done yet, that just seems savage. And you know what about the “thought” thing, yeah, that’s mealy mouthed double speak. I get that, at least you are on your toes! And yeah man! Alls we can do is the best we can right? And really, I don’t do it to every plant all the time. I really only apply it, when I have some plants that aren’t up to snuff. If I have some strong plants that are already going crazy, those just aren’t the candidates I choose for the process. Some would respond better to a split than a drill and vice versa. But all told, every plant I’ve ever done it too? Rolled on like a champ. A pleasure as always @Zill 👊🏻

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
After months of nurturing and fretting over these amazing plants only to torture them at the end seems wrong even if it does work. Like giving grandma a shot of meth in her final moments just so she can make you one more apple pie.
Hahaha, I know tweaking granny is no laughing matter, but bro, the pie, it is so damned good 😂

Wuddup_B

Wuddup_B

Sunnuvabitch if a Durban Poison didn't herm again. This time it was the big plant. I checked my notes and I have my Chitosan mix 3x too high. Multiply that with the triple volume dosage and I was giving about 9x my normal dose of chitosan - I was experimenting with dosage but messed up my initial mix. I'm pretty sure the chitosan dosages was stressing those that hermed. Tonight gonna do a big flush on the other gals and continue with my normal dosage.

I've got one more small 32oz cup that's been getting the Jacked up dosages that's supposed to be chopped next week. Gotta keep an eye on her too.

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

Just out of curiosity has anyone tried driving nails thru the stalk but removing them as well??? Maybe using something to cover holes with?🤔🤔🤔
not yet bud but will try, sometime like allow air into the stem. as you will notice theres a hole that runs through the stem, the thought would be to hit this with the nails then pull them out.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Just out of curiosity has anyone tried driving nails thru the stalk but removing them as well??? Maybe using something to cover holes with?🤔🤔🤔
I like to leave the wounds open, that’s why I prefer a drill. If you use a nail, the plants will heal around it faster, it still works, but they heal fast with a nail in it. It still has the same effect though, the intended stress just isn’t as intense. I also split the stalk and I usually insert zip strips then snip the excess. I use that method for stalks not wide enough for a drill. Leaving the wound open imo is better. That’s just me though.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Thinking about it some, you could throw medical tape over the holes, that stuff breaths well. And would give you and others a bit of piece of mind. I’ve never had any issues come from the wound locations though. Safer than sorry ain’t a bad thing.

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter

Thinking about it some, you could throw medical tape over the holes, that stuff breaths well. And would give you and others a bit of piece of mind. I’ve never had any issues come from the wound locations though. Safer than sorry ain’t a bad thing.
What about a honey patch?

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
That's the either/or fallacy. It's usually used to prop up institutions and various practices that have little business being propped up. It's not a good fallacy to use in this day and age.

I'll accept anecdotal evidence in a pool of 5 data points. It's too late to try it this year for me (I went from 2 weeks to before 5 am tomorrow morning for the harvest) but next year If I think it's worth it I'll do it to maybe 5 or 10 plants (most the same strain and one or two of something else).

The only thing that bothers me is when you Pierce a stalk in that manor, you cut veins. I've noticed certain veins go to certain branches. What I would be looking for is did certain side branches die off. Cause if it does then this is just a complicated side branch trimming technique.
Its science, don't let those gd places bastardize it

Bilber

Bilber

It's kinda like lights out for 24-36 hrs before harvest.....

I've done both, not done both, etc....

I've never noticed any difference.....good nor bad.....

It's a weed.......kinda hard to kill it......overwatering/ overfeeding are the 2 main killers...

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
It's kinda like lights out for 24-36 hrs before harvest.....

I've done both, not done both, etc....

I've never noticed any difference.....good nor bad.....

It's a weed.......kinda hard to kill it......overwatering/ overfeeding are the 2 main killers...
Nailed it!

Top Bottom