The Charts--Helpful charts for making nutrient deficiency diagnoses

• Thread starter Seamaiden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would definitely let it range, but I look for a slightly lower range for soil growing than what you're discussing here. My goal is 6.2-6.8, occasional forays outside those parameters. That said, I've never seen 'off' pH cause what you're describing.

But... based on your description of the curl... does it ever go away? How long has it been happening?

greenthumb

greenthumb

Thanks everyone. I've noticed the rusty spots on some of the girls' leaves, and the drying/yellowing of edges of the lower leaves. It looks like a chemical imbalance. My questions is how to fix this. What are good sources of zinc and manganese, according to the pictures above, that's what one or two of my girls are exhibiting. thanks!

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

I'm thinking magnesium deficiency.....but not sure.. I have three strains in the garden. Only this one is affected. Growing in heavy coco soiless mix

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Sry for such a late response but yes the curling did subside. Im thinking hot mix?!? I used it on another run and again anything og curled but subsided.

Now im getting yellowing on the serration tips on 2 beginning at week 2, the other 2 looks to be high in N(dark green w/yellow tip burn). also it seems that they are behind(suspect high N)

This is a louie
20150321 185817

Heres the pre2000 bb, her larger fans unseen are begining to fade. @5weeks
20150322 175532

full shot for comparison
20150321 185844

Figured id ask as it cant hurt not to @Seamaiden Thanks!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Son, can you get pix in better light? I'd be really interested to know what @Joe Fresh might have to say about 'em. Right now all I can really see is VPD, I see some of that leaf margin yellowing, but it's not something I've experienced. It's odd, because it looks like it's happening through the entire plant (top to bottom), yes?
I'm thinking magnesium deficiency.....but not sure.. I have three strains in the garden. Only this one is affected. Growing in heavy coco soiless mix
Super quick & easy way to Dx Mg- is to mix up 1/4tsp Epsom salt in a gallon of water with something for a sticker/spreader. Foliar that shit, and observe closely over the next few hours to 24 hours. If they green up, if it stops, if there's any change at all, then Mg is involved.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

looking like the mix is pretty hot/over fert...the serated leaf edges are my first tell, second would be the K def i see scortched edges in the last pic for sure...K is usually the first nute locked out due to salinity, either that or Ca...

he also mentions the plants are a bit behind, reduction in flower size would be indicative of a hot mix/high salinity...judging my the color of the leaves, i would say your ph looks spot on, you got nice leaf shine, leaves look otherwise healthy, but dark and shiney tells me they have enough nutes....and the scorched edges tells me a K def...usually when plants are doing well and they get a def like this, its due to overfert, high salinity, or ph...

as for Mtgrowncanna:

in these younger pics i see a Ca def, mix might be a tiny bit hot, they are young still, i would let them grow out of it if they can, just heavy waterings to leach out bit of nutes when i would water

in both cases ...i would test your run off, see where the salinity of the soil stands...if runoff is anywhere over 3.5EC then you need to flush..a very nice and healthy runoff should be between 2-2.5EC, tolerable up to 3.5 depending strain, over 4EC and good luck, roots will be fried

Last edited:
MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

[QUOTE="Joe Fresh, post: 1437895, member: 59234"
as for Mtgrowncanna:

in these younger pics i see a Ca def, mix might be a tiny bit hot, they are young still, i would let them grow out of it if they can, just heavy waterings to leach out bit of nutes when i would water
in both cases ...i would test your run off, see where the salinity of the soil stands...if runoff is anywhere over 3.5EC then you need to flush..a very nice and healthy runoff should be between 2-2.5EC, tolerable up to 3.5 depending strain, over 4EC and good luck, roots will be fried[/QUOTE]

I checked the soil runoff.....EC was 6.4, PPMs over 5600. I flushed until runoff was 1000 PPMs. It only took a few days to fry them.....hopefully only a few days before they're healthy again. Thanks for the heads up!

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

no problem man, happy to help, ive learned that 99% of deficiencies are usually related to over fert lol..nutes these days are so complete in general(base nutes) that usually when there is a def, its either over fert or ph related...even me i still overfert my plants all the time lol, it happens...the trick it catching it and fixing it before it gets to be detrimental

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

no problem man, happy to help, ive learned that 99% of deficiencies are usually related to over fert lol..nutes these days are so complete in general(base nutes) that usually when there is a def, its either over fert or ph related...even me i still overfert my plants all the time lol, it happens...the trick it catching it and fixing it before it gets to be detrimental

Thanks again Joe. Plants are so much happier this morning. Too bad you dont live in CO. I'd hook you up for your services!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you Mistah @Joe Fresh !! :) Much appreciated.
I checked the soil runoff.....EC was 6.4, PPMs over 5600. I flushed until runoff was 1000 PPMs. It only took a few days to fry them.....hopefully only a few days before they're healthy again. Thanks for the heads up!
Holy fuck!!

MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

Thank you Mistah @Joe Fresh !! :) Much appreciated.

Holy fuck!!

No shit. It took only three days for the plants to start frying. I'm gonna test them again to make sure theyre cool....otherwise I need to flush one more time.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

i would not wash out till 650...if you do so your plant will be starved....somewhat of a general rule, runoff is usually good if the range is between 900-1100ppms(1.8-2.2 EC)...but this is strain and environment dependant..and can varie, i have some plants that do well when runoff is1600(3.2 EC)...but i have found most of mine do best at 1000-1300ppm(2-2.6EC) runoff

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

20150821 124525
I think ive let this go too long... I boosted cal and mag and got rid of the spots for the most part. But im still getting a weird edge. And spotting. What do you think?
20150821 124452
20150821 124500

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm not sure about the S-, but the P- and K- I am sure about. You're spot on.

@gardnguyahoy -- be sure to use the flow chart along with the graphics. If you don't, you're going to end up confused. Why? Because where on the plant the issues are occurring is key to deciphering where the problem lies.

I think Adi has given you very good advice here.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

Or should i toss a cal mag in instead of the liquid calcium

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have a 0-5-4 flowering formula by roots organic and a liquid calcium by nectar for the gods.

Think a dose of this might do the trick?
I think a good dose of the flowering formula, yes. If your media doesn't have much Ca accounted for, and the nutrient line you're using doesn't have Ca added, then you'll be wanting to add Ca to the mix, either via root drenches or foliar application.
Or should i toss a cal mag in instead of the liquid calcium
No real need seen for Cal-Mag.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Appreciated, but... it's actually a poorer version of the graphic I have posted on the first page. It doesn't differentiate between mobile and immobile elements, for one, and it's missing Ca problems entirely. :) Check out the charts on the first page to compare.

Top Bottom