The coco challenge.

• Thread starter cheech
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cheech

could it be that canna retains more moisture thats why its falling behind

I don't think it's the moisture content as much as it seems more bogged down compared to the generic coco which seems looser. So I'd guess it has to do with the ease that the roots can spread, and more space in the medium for oxygen. But then that is what perlite is supposed to do, but my tests showed twice that it slowed growth down when added. Idk.

The canna very well could catch up after the roots spread out.. Maybe then the beneficial fungi will kick in or something. This test isn't over yet in my mind... Seems like it, but you never know. Fairly certain it is though, haha.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
the block coco always seems to drain better then the bagged stuff that is more composted

Venom818

Venom818

I don't think it's the moisture content as much as it seems more bogged down compared to the generic coco which seems looser. So I'd guess it has to do with the ease that the roots can spread, and more space in the medium for oxygen. But then that is what perlite is supposed to do, but my tests showed twice that it slowed growth down when added. Idk.

The canna very well could catch up after the roots spread out.. Maybe then the beneficial fungi will kick in or something. This test isn't over yet in my mind... Seems like it, but you never know. Fairly certain it is though, haha.

cool test either way i might have to run the same test to see for myself but am impressed with the compressed coco your running.

S

SasiGrl

Coco

I am using the compressed coco and get it from my local Hydro store for ~ $20. I must admit that breaking up this compressed block is difficult for me. I break up chunks, add the water as packaged directions; then I must sit and go thru this with my fingers to be sure all the coco has been broken and moistened... After I get this nice and smooth, I add ~ 40% perlite..

This has served me well, so far... So I'll keep using it..

C

cheech

Sasi, put the bricks in a tote then fill it up with water. Once it absorbs the water it will expand on its own. You'll just have to break apart wet soggy clumps of it.

C

cheech

This just in.

Close ups reveal something new. Each shot has a canna compared to a generic.

960 1184
960 1185
A

aRiv

homedepot coco FTW just saw that shit, a 5kg brick is $8 bucks, makes 2 bags worth of canna, plus no hydrostore visits to grab 10bags of coco

Cheech, nice thread!

mrD.. do you get the Beats Peat blocks? or the "HYPER GROW" brand blocks from hd?

been running canna bagged for years but will like to pick up a few blocks and give this a try myself!:rollj:

C

cheech

Thanks man. This is a easy cool experiment that will provide pretty solid answers.

I'd really like to see some nute comparisons on mono crop rooms, but nobody hardly does that. I've got a maxibloom vs hg coco room going on right now, and next run will be hg vs flora nova.

Looking forward to TF's nute results too.

C

cheech

Look how stacked the nodes in the canna are compared to the plant in the back ground which is in the generic. I'll get some measurements, but this is mm's we're talking about. So tight it makes the donks nodes in the generic look lanky, but they are stacked too. I counted an average of one node less compared to the donks in the generic. And all 3 of the plants in canna are like this.

This competition isn't nearly as close to over as I thought it was.

Venom818

Venom818

Look how stacked the nodes in the canna are compared to the plant in the back ground which is in the generic. I'll get some measurements, but this is mm's we're talking about. So tight it makes the donks nodes in the generic look lanky, but they are stacked too. I counted an average of one node less compared to the donks in the generic. And all 3 of the plants in canna are like this.

This competition isn't nearly as close to over as I thought it was.

nice bro canna making a comeback

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Yeah but look how much thicker the stalks (nutrient highways) are with the generic. Even though the Canna is producing tighter inter-nodal spacing I'll bet the generics produce a way bigger harvest in the end. I'm still much more impressed with the generic results so far.

Sorry if you already said it, but, what kind of lighting are you using for veg again? How far are your lights from the tops of the plants?

Venom818

Venom818

Yeah but look how much thicker the stalks (nutrient highways) are with the generic. Even though the Canna is producing tighter inter-nodal spacing I'll bet the generics produce a way bigger harvest in the end. I'm still much more impressed with the generic results so far.

Sorry if you already said it, but, what kind of lighting are you using for veg again? How far are your lights from the tops of the plants?

Not sure it make that much of a difference to have thicker stalks bro,My stalks use to get thicker,i think it was the way i was feeding or maybe the nutrients i was feeding these days the stalks aren't as thick but im producing more bud of the same plants.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

That's very interesting Venom. I started getting bigger yields when I switched over to smart pots. I noticed a big difference in the root balls after harvest. More roots and fewer roots at the edges of the pot. I simultaneously noticed much larger stalks. For me, bigger roots = bigger stalks. Bigger roots + bigger stalks = bigger yields. Same strains, same medium(super soil), different pots. It makes sense if you think about it.

Venom818

Venom818

That's very interesting Venom. I started getting bigger yields when I switched over to smart pots. I noticed a big difference in the root balls after harvest. More roots and fewer roots at the edges of the pot. I simultaneously noticed much larger stalks. For me, bigger roots = bigger stalks. Bigger roots + bigger stalks = bigger yields. Same strains, same medium(super soil), different pots. It makes sense if you think about it.

it does make sense,I dont get it myself with the thicker stalk i got about 90 grams off my tahoe og sick ass roots.Last run the stalk wasn't as big and the roots weren't as wrapped around as the run before and i got 150 grams off my tahoe

OGONLY

OGONLY

I agree with Venom. I grew some sour D last run that had average sized stalks. I hooked my buddy up with clones of it and he's running it now. His stalks are double the thickness mine were, but his buds are not nearly as big or as numerous as mine were.

I use smartpots also. I did a side by side, 2 gallon plastic pot next to 2 gallon smart pots with Sour D. Both of them yielded within 5 grams of each other on 6.5 oz. plants. The plastic potted plant appeared a bit rootbound, but produced 5 grams more than the smartpot. IMO, there isn't much difference in yield between the two pots.

C

cheech

Those are some interesting observations of stalk sizes relation to yield on the same strain.

Bill they're under a 8 bulb t5 fixture. I'd say it's about 2' off the tops.

A grow friend turned me onto the t5's. I couldn't believe how healthy he had 2' tall bushes under them, nodes stacked from the base to the top. And the lights weren't right on top of the plants the way I thought t5's had to be.

I don't plan on lifting the lights as they get taller though, until they are probably 8'' from the bulbs.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Sorry but I gotta call BS on a 2 gallon pot yielding a 6oz plant. Pics or it didn't happen.

C

cheech

Let's not start a argument that can't be proven. Look at it as something to strive for.

Although I do feel that way every time I read someone harvested 2 lbs per light - based off my own 12 or so harvests... But I've never even come close to a near perfect run. Current run is by far my closest to perfection.

Latest posts

Top Bottom