The coco challenge.

• Thread starter cheech
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cheech

I've got some brick coco that I'm going to put up against some canna coco. The brick coco is a small fraction of the price of the canna. The other benefit is that I can have it ups'ed to a ups warehouse for pick up. Then I can carry the box into my house without looking shady. One box of this stuff must be equivalent to like 10 bags of canna coco.

Anyways, I've already noticed that the bricked no name coco drains better. And it didn't take any more flushing than the canna did. The canna was .5 ec out of the bag, the bricked was .8 ec. I've also been putting the thin slabs of the brick coco in my oven for 10 minutes in an attempt to kill anything that might be in it. Not sure if this is effective though.

Also, I want to compare starting a plant in 1 gallon of pure coco vs coco/perlite mix. One of the canna containers is mixed with 50% perlite.

The pic was taken 2 days after transplant. The clones in the canna were transplanted 24 hours later than the brick. The quality of clone was the same though.

Canna is the dark coco(right), brick is the light colored coco(left).

The coco challenge
Rushoe

Rushoe

Canna coco is the shit bro bomb stuff for sure been using for about a year now maybe lil more. This is gonna be a good thread I will be checking up on u for sure bro.And just so we know what kinda of clones are they?

C

cheech

They are Spice of Life's Donk.

But, if this proves that canna is no better than this generic fine coco I'm using I hope you stop buying it! I think people go with Canna to avoid potential problems, assuming that because it is more expensive, and since everyone on the net raves about it, and it's what the hydro stores carry, then it must be the better product.

Then canna slaps it's customers in the face by offering it as a loose bag instead of compressing it. I mean, they can rinse it and re compress it, but then the idea of spending 24 bucks on a little brick of compressed coco would seem moronic. My theory only. But it's the only reasoning I can come up with as to why they wouldn't want to compress their coco. No good reason not to IMO.

I really don't know if one is better than the other though, and am prepared to eat my own words.

S

SofaKingHigh

Tuned in. I want the bricks to prove worthy next to Canna and save money from here on out.

Thanks for the test and grow log!

OGONLY

OGONLY

I'm interested to see the results as well. Nice thread cheech!

I've used Canna and really like it. I like that it seems to be consistent in quality and clean as well. Also like that its ready to go out of the bag. I don't so much rinse it as just pre-charge it with cal mag and Roots Excel. I just started using the Botanicare equivilent to Canna. Its exactly the same in every way IMO and is like $6 or 7 a bag cheaper.

If I can save 50% with brick and it is clean I might give it a shot. How does the texture and pith size of the brick compare to Canna?

Thanks for doing this side by side bro! Will be watching.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
cheech - that is one thing about the birck coco you hit on there

it drains fucking killer

OGONLY - brick coco is much more pithy then canna or biobozz bag coco becasue it is not composted

my current run is 25% brick 25% perlite and 50% biobizz

the composted stuff holds a lot more water

C

cheech

Thanks guys.

The consistency of the brick coco that I got is the exact same as canna... The color is just lighter. And I want to point out again that when I measured the runoff of the canna thinking it was going to be next to nothing, it read a .5 ec.

And so you know which coco I'm using... It is the stuff that ebay member q binder sells. Here's a link, not sure how long it will work though.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Thanks guys.

The consistency of the brick coco that I got is the exact same as canna... The color is just lighter. And I want to point out again that when I measured the runoff of the canna thinking it was going to be next to nothing, it read a .5 ec.

And so you know which coco I'm using... It is the stuff that ebay member q binder sells. Here's a link, not sure how long it will work though.

wow - thats cool

my reference point is the GH pressed

C

cheech

Yea I mean it looks and feels the same. The pics show it pretty well.

I'm still not sure how 50 or 100 lbs of it equates to bags of canna. It would be easy enough to figure out through trial. Can't really compare weight, because canna is kind of moist and this stuff is bone dry.

Plus, with the canna I felt obligated to re use it because of the price. With this stuff I feel better about just dumping it and starting fresh.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Cheech,
Cool test man. I love a good AB test like that. Looking forward to the end results.

I'm doing a test in my flower room right now on Canna vs CNS17 nutes. So far neck and neck. CNS is much cheaper, and all in one ingredient, and no cal mag whatsoever. We shall see in the end....

-TF

C

cheech

It's been a solid year since I've place my order... I'm pretty sure it was two of these boxes right here. 20 bricks are in each box. Boxes are like 2'x2'.

I've got to make some new medium in a few days, I'll figure out how many gallons a brick makes.

960 1172
960 1173
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
my 10 buck general hydro bricks fil a 25 gal tote

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

That's some nice water collection roof there man!

-:D

budfriend

budfriend

good thread..cant wait to see the results. man if you put royal gold in there that would be nice. its only about 14 and what i use. Its loose like cana. You could switch it right now and you got enough plants to give a fair sample?? But do your thing man. thanks

C

cheech

my 10 buck general hydro bricks fil a 25 gal tote

Those cocotek blocks look like their a good deal if you can pick them up from a store. The shipping is more than the block unfortunately.

This guy sells coco for a way better price then q binder. Also from Washington. Coincidence?

I think q binder raised his prices, because I don't remember spending over 200 on coco.

C

cheech

That's some nice water collection roof there man!

-:D

hah, and now I know it was in fact 4 boxes of coco that I received, lol. Says the weight right on the box!

good thread..cant wait to see the results. man if you put royal gold in there that would be nice. its only about 14 and what i use. Its loose like cana. You could swith it right now and you got enough plants to give a fair sample?? But do your thing man.

Thanks man. There will definitively be a next time. I'm all about the comparison testing.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Those cocotek blocks look like their a good deal if you can pick them up from a store. The shipping is more than the block unfortunately.

This guy sells coco for a way better price then q binder. Also from Washington. Coincidence?

I think q binder raised his prices, because I don't remember spending over 200 on coco.

the 10.45 cocotek block at greners is almost 10 bux to ship one 5 kg /11 lb block - but if I order 3 its $50.85 total with tax and shipping to me

Venom818

Venom818

ill follow this one ,im a canna coco guy myself.heard good things about empire coco but never ran it.Maybe ill test it next run.

S

superjet

ill follow this one ,im a canna coco guy myself.heard good things about empire coco but never ran it.Maybe ill test it next run.

been running staight canna coco for about a year and i've just recently started amending with the empire which is realy junky and my plants (not to mention my roots!) have never looked better. drainage is soo much better. i wasn't sure of the source of the empire coco as i got it from the local gardening center so i did fllush/rinse it before i used it though.

Top Bottom