The Crystal Palace is back, now with a Spiderfarmer SE5000.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

So, as I recall, one of the last things you (@Aqua Man) said was that you were amazed DB had LED installed...
He has said a few times now how impressive the Spider Farmers are.

I guess the question now is, do you think they're worth it @Dirtbag?
If you had to outfit a new grow room, what would you buy?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well.. the universe has given me a couple signs today. First.. finding the koolbloom ripener today. Now, I just mixed in a Tbsp to an 18 gal res that started at 250ppm.

I'm just gonna leave it here. 😜
20220119 184622

Observationist

Observationist

Well.. the universe has given me a couple signs today. First.. finding the koolbloom ripener today. Now, I just mixed in a Tbsp to an 18 gal res that started at 250ppm.

I'm just gonna leave it here. 😜View attachment 1208255
That’s like when your tripping balls and everything just comes together

damn 1tbspn for 18gal

some stong stuff

I might get some

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So, as I recall, one of the last things you (@Aqua Man) said was that you were amazed DB had LED installed...
He has said a few times now how impressive the Spider Farmers are.

I guess the question now is, do you think they're worth it @Dirtbag?
If you had to outfit a new grow room, what would you buy?

Loaded question.. if I had to outfit a new room.. depends on my budget. If money wasn't a factor I'd probably go with a sealed Co2 enriched room and use 650-1000w LED's. As for brand.. I'd shop around. Though the SE5000 has quite honestly knocked my socks off with its capability for a 480w fixture. I would be very interested in seeing how the SE7000 or their new 1K fixture performs.

That said, I would have absolutely no qualms about rocking an SE5000 for a personal vented tent grow. I think its the perfect light for a ventilated tent setup really. And SF customer support has been so far quite good, warranty is solid.. the things that matter are there. If using Co2 you'd want a light with a bit more jam, but you know this.

At the end of the day though.. just because of my grow style and the environment I work in.. with money being a factor, I would probably go with 750w DEHPS if I was going to outfit a new room tomorrow. I can get them for $200 a unit all day long on the used market. And they will do everything a 650w LED will for a fraction of the investment cost.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Loaded question.. if I had to outfit a new room.. depends on my budget. If money wasn't a factor I'd probably go with a sealed Co2 enriched room and use 650-1000w LED's. As for brand.. I'd shop around. Though the SE5000 has quite honestly knocked my socks off with its capability for a 480w fixture. I would be very interested in seeing how the SE7000 or their new 1K fixture performs.

That said, I would have absolutely no qualms about rocking an SE5000 for a personal vented tent grow. I think its the perfect light for a ventilated tent setup really. And SF customer support has been so far quite good, warranty is solid.. the things that matter are there. If using Co2 you'd want a light with a bit more jam, but you know this.

At the end of the day though.. just because of my grow style and the environment I work in.. with money being a factor, I would probably go with 750w DEHPS if I was going to outfit a new room tomorrow. I can get them for $200 a unit all day long on the used market. And they will do everything a 650w LED will for a fraction of the investment cost.
So, you are looking more at immediate, upfront expenses instead of long term costs?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So, you are looking more at immediate, upfront expenses instead of long term costs?
The difference between running 750W of HID or 650w of LED isn't that big in terms of power expenses. And new lamps once a year I'd wager would still be cheaper than initial purchase or replacement cost of an LED when it gives up the ghost. As far as I know they also have a best before date. I'd be ventilated either way so in that regard it wouldn't make much difference.
And a used HID setup can always be resold. An old worn out LED I don't think would get you much money back when you're done with it.

I'd just be looking at overall return on investment.

Top Bottom