The current state of lighting.

• Thread starter Intense
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Intense

Intense

So what’s the breakdown on HID lamps as of 2014? I’ve seen a decade of pseudoscience on the matter and I think results speak for themselves. I have used many of the brands of HPS and MH sold in retail stores. Different brands make different claims about spectrum and longevity, etc. From my understanding sodium emits strongly in the yellow, there’s no way around that. They can filter out those wavelengths, but not change them - for this you’d literally need to stretch space time with gravity. But MH lacks the intensity and is less efficient per watt. I’ve done experiments of various 1K MH brands vs. various 1K ups brands, and the same with 600s. Always get heavier yield from HPS, tighter nugs from MH. I’ve never noted any significant difference between brands when globes were the same age.

UltraMK

UltraMK

I think the way you place certain globes and the reflector used can effect yield in respects to MH vs HPS.

Supercharge

Supercharge

Well they maybe they're OK for grow, but just think they are a waste of time and money unless you’re tinkering for sheer pleasure (which is of course fine). I don’t buy into the wavelength stuff. The sun is white, not red and blue.

carBon.14

carBon.14

Well they maybe they're OK for grow, but just think they are a waste of time and money unless you’re tinkering for sheer pleasure (which is of course fine). I don’t buy into the wavelength stuff. The sun is white, not red and blue.

yes but isn’t it supposed to be because plants only used red and blue light?

seaslug

seaslug

Yeah, I was gonna yap about 315W CMH and the new double ended (DE) stuff coming out but I know next to nothing . . .

salmon

salmon

yes but isn’t it supposed to be because plants only used red and blue light?

Not true. Chlorophyll a absorbs at 410, 430 and 662nm, chrolophyll b absorbs at 428, 453 and 642. That’s 6 LEDs you need just to cover chlorophyll (in theory - though it’s not that simple), but there are many other pigments molecules, other than chlorophyll involved in electron transport also.

Kush Kloud

Kush Kloud

I like LED lighting but I have been keeping my eye on plasma lighting. There's not the much info on them but they are said to be full spectrum like the sun. Does anyone know about plasma lighting and the results of growing with them?

Supercharge

Supercharge

Not true. Chlorophyll a absorbs at 410, 430 and 662nm, chrolophyll b absorbs at 428, 453 and 642. That’s 6 LEDs you need just to cover chlorophyll (in theory - though it’s not that simple), but there are many other pigments molecules, other than chlorophyll involved in electron transport also.

Well said.

campaste420

campaste420

hahaha keep up the good information! None of that misinformation. LEDs are the future thats why NASA is using them to grow in space!!!

DarkSpark

DarkSpark

Whatever the light source it usually comes down to getting as much bang for your buck per watt of electricity vs initial cost and longevity of the light. So efficiency is a tricky one, because it’s different for everyone, depending on their needs. For the guerrilla grower, every watt counts, and that’s usually the limiting factor. for med ops, limiting factor might be space. I agree in most cases hps is the most efficient lighting source until someone makes mini self contained fusion reactors that generate their own light and energy hehe.

campaste420

campaste420

Yeah thats true but ive seen LEDs produce around 1.5 grams per actual watt.

J

Jalisco Kid

I use mag ballasts,switchable 1k watt MH/HPS. It is well know what they do,you just have to figure out when and at what combination works best for you.Nobody has ever shown me anything that would want me to switch. JK

Top Bottom