*** the fishy page ***

• Thread starter digdugdank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Huh, never heard of the concept. Interesting. So, what of, say, Tridacnid farms in Palau? Considering that we're talking about a benthic animal rather than pelagic, and that we've got plenty of areas where the baseline hasn't had to be shifted, what then? We've got to make allowances for ourselves.

Here's some Cephalopod love.
Juviesquidhawaii

neverbreak

neverbreak

Huh, never heard of the concept. Interesting. So, what of, say, Tridacnid farms in Palau? Considering that we're talking about a benthic animal rather than pelagic, and that we've got plenty of areas where the baseline hasn't had to be shifted, what then? We've got to make allowances for ourselves.

farms are a different story sea, tho often even worse than wild fisheries. the baseline doesn't apply to farmin as it's farmin, not fishin! however, many species that are farmed are from higher up in the food chain. so inevitably, fishin is required to feed the farmed fish which makes the farmin completely unsustainable. on top of this, due to the density of animals in the farms - n this is of particular concern in open loop systems - large amounts of antibiotics n antiparasitics are used to treat the stock for infections. this then goes out into the surroundin environment, causin serious damage. on top of this are the high levels on pcbs recorded in the flesh of these fish, chemicals which are damaging to both the environment n to our own health (causes cancer).

don't know much about clam farms so can't really comment, but i expect the feed n antibiotics issues still apply. closed loop systems reduce the enviromental impact, but unless feeding algae grown in closed loop systems too, there are still sustainability issues to contend with. do you know how the clams are fed n grown in the tridacnid farms sea?

no easy solution sadly! but there are solutions are there, they just aren't bein utilized.

Here's some Cephalopod love.
View attachment 378904

u ever seen bobtail squid sea? (that might even be one in the photo) now those are cool squid! would love a few of those as pets, i must admit.

neverbreak

psilobuds

psilobuds

sumthing seem a little fishy in here...lol
i want a sarotoga! or an oscar. sumthin that can take off a finger haha those fish dont mess around!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you want a fish that can take a finger off, then you want something like a puffer, a large porcupine can do it quite neatly. Or something like a queen triggerfish, who WILL fuck you up it doesn't want you in its territory.
farms are a different story sea, tho often even worse than wild fisheries. the baseline doesn't apply to farmin as it's farmin, not fishin! however, many species that are farmed are from higher up in the food chain. so inevitably, fishin is required to feed the farmed fish which makes the farmin completely unsustainable. on top of this, due to the density of animals in the farms - n this is of particular concern in open loop systems - large amounts of antibiotics n antiparasitics are used to treat the stock for infections. this then goes out into the surroundin environment, causin serious damage. on top of this are the high levels on pcbs recorded in the flesh of these fish, chemicals which are damaging to both the environment n to our own health (causes cancer).

don't know much about clam farms so can't really comment, but i expect the feed n antibiotics issues still apply. closed loop systems reduce the enviromental impact, but unless feeding algae grown in closed loop systems too, there are still sustainability issues to contend with. do you know how the clams are fed n grown in the tridacnid farms sea?

no easy solution sadly! but there are solutions are there, they just aren't bein utilized.

u ever seen bobtail squid sea? (that might even be one in the photo) now those are cool squid! would love a few of those as pets, i must admit.

neverbreak
Yes, these bivalves are filter feeders primarily, but they have those gorgeous jewel-like colors because they also have zooxanthellae in their tissues. So farming them in their natural environs really means not much more than planting seed clams and letting them grow.

Food fishes, now THIS fishery is where you're going to really see the rampant overuse of antibiotics, etc, especially when we're talking about farming (culturing) animals that are at the top of the food chain instead of the bottom, e.g. salmon or tuna. Those farms are already causing a problem, and I personally vote with my dollars by not buying those farmed animals. Aquaculture is something that's interested me, but I've never worked that trade.

Algae, rotifers, all kinds of small things, can indeed be cultured in a closed system.

I'm not familiar with that common name for a squid. That's a pic I got from a guy out in Hawai'i many years ago who found it out snorkeling or something like that, caught it and brought it home and contacted WWM asking for identification.

neverbreak

neverbreak

it sounds like u n i are on the same page sea. which doesn't really surprise me at all. always good to meet likeminded others, especially when it comes to topics like this.

ok, i can't resist a few pics of bobtail squid seein as they are so cool. bioluminescent too!!

e4ce003d26f68d69dd98c1d1f094053f.png

ht_todd_bretl_bobtail_squid_blog_7_jtm_130920.jpg

_DSC0912.jpg

bobtail-squid-shutterstock_128992328.jpg

ya gotta admit, awesome little critters right?

neverbreak

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
very smart little beings. they really are amazing in more ways then we know. those are some beautiful pictures neverbreak. thru the years i have learned a lot about the conditions that other beings go thru for our enjoyment, entertainment. for a very long time now i have only kept captive bred fish from local breeders. i fell in love with the mantis shrimp i had many years ago,he got to be 6" and very colorful, so when i saw this guy in a small deli cup at the lfs i had to give him a better life. they didnt know what they were going to do with him, so i asked them to sell him to me. i keep him in a 12 gallon plexiglass tank set up just for him. he has already molted once and is acting like he is going to do it again soon. i love my tanks and their inhabitants, and most times eat better then i do!! no joke!! my animals and my plants have taught me so much about this world and has opened my eyes on right and wrong. there still are good people out there, and in here. we just have to look a little harder to see them. id really like to see some pond pictures. im still digging my hole and collecting some rocks. thanks, digdug!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
it sounds like u n i are on the same page sea. which doesn't really surprise me at all. always good to meet likeminded others, especially when it comes to topics like this.

ok, i can't resist a few pics of bobtail squid seein as they are so cool. bioluminescent too!!

_DSC0912.jpg

neverbreak
That sure looks like the same specie I posted up. Are these being kept in home aquaria, and if so, what's their husbandry like? They look to be very small.

Here's an interesting cat I know: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...tor=Thales&sort_on=created&sort_order=reverse

His thing IS cephalopods.

neverbreak

neverbreak

That sure looks like the same specie I posted up. Are these being kept in home aquaria, and if so, what's their husbandry like? They look to be very small.

Here's an interesting cat I know: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...tor=Thales&sort_on=created&sort_order=reverse

His thing IS cephalopods.

i'm not sure if they're kept in aquaria sea. from what i've read they are difficult to keep, so i think it would be rare, if at all. i sure would love too keep some tho. beautiful little glowing squid, what's not to love?

they are small, from around a half to 3 inches long, dependin on the species.

that guy would have an interestin life!

neverbreak

neverbreak

neverbreak

@seamaiden, do u know if nudibranchs can be kept in aquaria? they're crazy colorful.

neverbreak

madmaster420

madmaster420

"a hungy fish is a healthy fish" i thought this would be a great place for everyone to share there fish pictures and stories( "living breathing fish" sorry chippy guys you can start your own thread) lol. this thread is for fish heads. i just set my 300 gallon tank up in september. its still kinda new and havent had any extra cash for these kind of plants yet!! lolView attachment 377756 i guess my other pictures didnt upload ill try for next post, i know we started to post some really awesome pictures of koi ponds on the other thread and im looking for exactly that and more!! heres my humble planted tetra tank, and im going to upload a few pictures of my mantis shrimp, thanks digdug!!
you should check out aquaponics or permaculture...nice pics!!!

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
i took a couple of pictures of leeroy and his tankmates. i call his tankmates breakfast,lunch,and dinner!! but mostly lucky! they have been in there with him for 2 months now. i think this is my 100th post so enjoy, digdug!!
Mantis
Tankmates

Tankmates
baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty

_DSC0912.jpg

neverbreak
someone should make a monster glass bubbler modeled after that lil critter :D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You're fucking kidding me, a purple lobster in a reef display? <facepalm> And there goes delae, going for the best around, damn.

mr roboto, LOVE the pico! I bet that's one super-happy Mr. Betta splendens. You should see how they're shipped.

Digdug, you've got a Fijian/Oceania damsel in there that I'd been after for YEARS, only ever saw in the trade back then a couple of times. I hope you just feed the mantis and let the damsels live. Oh, he can have the domino, they're little motherfuckers, especially once they get big.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
You're fucking kidding me, a purple lobster in a reef display? <facepalm> And there goes delae, going for the best around, damn.

mr roboto, LOVE the pico! I bet that's one super-happy Mr. Betta splendens. You should see how they're shipped.

Digdug, you've got a Fijian/Oceania damsel in there that I'd been after for YEARS, only ever saw in the trade back then a couple of times. I hope you just feed the mantis and let the damsels live. Oh, he can have the domino, they're little motherfuckers, especially once they get big.

It was super frustrating. I confronted the guy after talking to a couple friends that used to work for a saltwater shop. They told me that they would never recommend putting a purple lobster in a tank like mine. The shop owner stood by his pressured sale and refused to give me store credit for all my murdered fish. Luckily I brought the lobster to the shop with me and dumped it in a tank full of expensive fish on my way out.

Top Bottom