The Great Amendment 64 Debate

• Thread starter SoCoMMJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SoCoMMJ

Pardon the pun, but this one should stir the pot a bit.

Personally I'm on the fence regarding Amendment 64. It seems to allow anybody over 21 to grow 6 plants, keep all the meds they grow on site, and possess an ounce out of the house. I consider those points to be very good, and a step in the right direction regarding legalization.

What are the issues that are driving some people against this initiative? Please don't just respond with "it sucks" or "dispensaries are the devil" etc. Let's see if we can get down to the nuts and bolts of what this initiative actually does.

For anyone that would like to read through the actual content of the initiative, it is here:

It is the only option we have in 2012. Is it a step forward or backward and specifically why?

sky high

sky high

Personally I'm on the fence regarding Amendment 64. It seems to allow anybody over 21 to grow 6 plants, keep all the meds they grow on site, and possess an ounce out of the house. I consider those points to be very good, and a step in the right direction regarding legalization.

What are the issues that are driving some people against this initiative? Please don't just respond with "it sucks" or "dispensaries are the devil" etc. Let's see if we can get down to the nuts and bolts of what this initiative actually does.

For anyone that would like to read through the actual content of the initiative, it is here:

It is the only option we have in 2012. Is it a step forward or backward and specifically why?

If they would have stopped with the "home" offerings and waited to head straight into commercial insanity...like MMJ has done...I'd be all over it.

My feeling is this..you either love MJ enough too grow it and smoke it...ESPECIALLY when there's no penalty too do so...or you bum it/get it/finagle it from your freinds who are growing it..... but there's NO NEED to have a retail circus goin on and waggin it in everyone's face who DOESN'T smoke with all-out legality to grow your own.

If...down the way....the stupid among us just can't find enough brain power to find bud like WE USED TO DO before MED...before all of this crap "ease of acesss" shit (aka..GREASE the Palm) and need a retail shop to buy weed so they can smoke it....do it then.

So for me...seeing the way MMJ got fucked by 1284 makes me less likely to buy into MORE REGULATION. and we are seiing how LAX that regulation is with the "Centers" as the MMED goes from 40 employees to 12...and the program is on autopilot with large amounts of weed being sold outside the program....

not sure I want to....or need to go there. I already have a garden w/more than 6 in it and have as much weed on site as I grow...

will be interesting to see how it shakes out...

S

SoCoMMJ

I agree with that ^^^^^^^^^ FREE THE WEED!

outwest

Unfortunately Free the Weed has not yet made it to the ballot. If it did I have no doubt that we would vote the shit out of it.

S

SoCoMMJ

If they would have stopped with the "home" offerings and waited to head straight into commercial insanity...like MMJ has done...I'd be all over it.
I agree, but see their reasons for building in the commercial aspect. They don't want giant grows and residential commercial ops popping up in everybody's basement. You know that would happen if the retail aspect was not addressed.

My feeling is this..you either love MJ enough too grow it and smoke it...ESPECIALLY when there's no penalty too do so...or you bum it/get it/finagle it from your freinds who are growing it..... but there's NO NEED to have a retail circus goin on and waggin it in everyone's face who DOESN'T smoke with all-out legality to grow your own.
I have also been a huge supporter of low key = good. Hell, you can't even find our place with good directions. Aside from stinking up the block in the Industrial Zone we are in, you would never know we exist. But there are always those that have the need to blow it up and push it to the limits of tolerance. If you have good product and aren't total dicks, the masses will find you without having to scream into their faces.

If...down the way....the stupid among us just can't find enough brain power to find bud like WE USED TO DO before MED...before all of this crap "ease of acesss" shit (aka..GREASE the Palm) and need a retail shop to buy weed so they can smoke it....do it then.
I am against selling out to a big surtax at the wholesale level in the retail setup. Once you get a tax on something you will NEVER get it off. I think it will be nice for citizens to just go to a store with ID [over 21] and purchase without having to dance through that whole Red Card shit storm. Additionally I feel pretty good about pulling back the millions in funds that the Health Department has been getting. They are haters and have done NOTHING to support in regard to the funds that they have been hauling in. I am also concerned about every retail failure from Cali migrating this way to fuck up what we have here. Or them opening secondary giant Harborside type locations.

So for me...seeing the way MMJ got fucked by 1284 makes me less likely to buy into MORE REGULATION.
There is some verbiage in there regarding no excessive and burdensome regulation, but who knows. It could well end up with another 75 page monster of legislative bloat. It's what lawmakers do... take something simple and bury it in complexity. I do suspect that like 1284, it will prevent home growers from selling to shops.

it will be interesting to see how it shakes out...
agreed, I have a feeling that it will pass but wrangle through process and legal issues before the dust settles.

S

SoCoMMJ

Ya well unfortunately some things have been born to be free all along n the eyes of many and God likely herbs is free already........like the poor slaves can you justify them waiting patiently law abiding for there chance of freedom? HUH? I HOPE NOT.........Let freedom ring bros n sisisters plant those seeds and GROW all YA want
........legalize it not not MONOPOLIZE or COMMERCIALIZE! And if they dont wanna lets not give them a choice. Peace

While it sounds nice in theory, it doesn't work that way in our policed industrial prison state.
If you "GROW all YA want" you may end up eating cheese sandwiches and sleeping on a 2" mattress for a few years.

K

kolah

I have not read it in it's entirety yet. I know "they" are calling it "legalization" but I highly doubt that's the true fact. (and btw they are still pushing to pass that bill in regards to no tolerance level for DUI and MJ so how will that play into the mess?)

Will it change how the feds enforce it? No.

Who drew it up? Is it full of holes and grey areas? I'd bet so.

passing 1284 was a fucking mess ....why would this be any different? it could easily be just another bait and trap operation.

I'd rather see it rescheduled to a class 3.

true grit

true grit

While more freedom is great, I still stand by simply decriminalizing and re-allocating LEO resources instead of opening up a whole new can of worms...for example this situation. Explaining to the public you could just eliminate penalties for adults is a lot less scary than saying any adult can possess and grow...at least to the laymen and would avoid commercial aspect and taxation issues.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
While it sounds nice in theory, it doesn't work that way in our policed industrial prison state.
If you "GROW all YA want" you may end up eating cheese sandwiches and sleeping on a 2" mattress for a few years.

This is the point that always makes me nervous. Since this country's prisons are such a money maker, my paranoid side is weary of them purposely making this thing vague and illegal/legal in order to ensnare more people (and land), who otherwise would have remained square tax paying folks or lost their home from economic turmoil.

I just can't seem to trust a government payed for by slave drivers & warmongers.

sky high

sky high

I agree, but see their reasons for building in the commercial aspect. They don't want giant grows and residential commercial ops popping up in everybody's basement. You know that would happen if the retail aspect was not addressed.

you see the reasons.....um....possibly because you HAVE a commercial grow goin on? Ya think? LOL.

"you know what would happen..."

So what would happen? Same thing that happened throughout history? Friends sell to friends and their friends in private? What's so wrong there....other than cutting YOU AND THE STATE out? C'mon...don't insult us all AGAIN with this crap shit story of how no one can find pot if you guys aren't there peddling it on Main street or how the existence of warehouse grows to (supposedly) stock retail outlets is something we need/needed in Colorado....or that none of THAT bud isn't hitting the street as we speak.

If you thought the roaches crawled out of the woodwork when Holder said he wasn't coming and the "Green rush' hit full force...just wait until every tom-dick-harry can fire up without worry in their home....even if they stay small....and they WON'T...cus YOU didn't.... and think of what THAT will do to your demand/the need for you to even exist. (?)

Have you ever considered that this is the end of MMJ in CO...and may just very well be a way for the State to "cleanse" itself of 1284/the stoners who created the model and start all over with a new system/supply line of their choosing that just doesn't include...and may even exclude...those who licensed under 1284??

I mean....why would anyone get a Med card if it passes? Why would they go to a "Center" if they can buy it a the liquor store? Why would the State want to have to regulate 2 programs that deal (literally) with MJ?

I'd be far more worried about your gig than what folks might do in their own homes...none of which can be regulated or tracked....and all of which will affect you/your market share...just as you did to all patients after 1284 was passed and the rug was pulled from under all of our feet.

good luck.....

s h

sky high

sky high

While more freedom is great, I still stand by simply decriminalizing and re-allocating LEO resources instead of opening up a whole new can of worms...for example this situation. Explaining to the public you could just eliminate penalties for adults is a lot less scary than saying any adult can possess and grow...at least to the laymen and would avoid commercial aspect and taxation issues.

We >have< decriminalization in CO (that was passed in 1974) for possession. Basically, the law ended the misdeamenor charge for less than 1 oz and made it a "petty fine"....and while it IS low priority for LEO...you can still be arrested for such a "crime". Are you suggesting we do a similar thing for cultivation...much like the med law....where you can still be arrested but the penalties would be much harder to make stick unless you are simply blowin it up in everyone's face and/or are dealing??

Just lookin for clarification bro.... not really followin ya or seeing the benefit over total legalization with no charges possible if you are inside the set guidelines....

s h

true grit

true grit

Ya, basically a more clarified decrim. They can do measures where they strictly forbid the use LEO resources to enforce such things. A lot of the cities I've been too have been way more specific about the decrim of adult use, private cult, and ability to buy. For example, instead of being like CO/Denver where you can still get a ticket/arrested (even for less than a zip regardless of what it says), there is "0" penalty and they can't harass you at all under a certain amount even for private adult sales/cultivation below a certain amount. They still screw with ya around town here, biz can enforce and call cops for peeps smoking, etc. Shit i smoked more in public in Austin than here, folks just don't go for it and LEO treats it the same in certain areas. Most places in TX have "petty fine" option/officer discretion bs, but it needs to be out of officer discretion and that can be handled via a better defined decrim measure.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
This is a plant we're talking about, right? o_O

outwest

S

SoCoMMJ

you see the reasons.....um....possibly because you HAVE a commercial grow goin on? Ya think? LOL.
Nobody is denying that we have a commercial operation. We have more patients than we can produce for already. I don't need more. I have never been afraid of free market or competition in any fashion. If you think you got it better, bring it to market :-)...the moratorium is over.

Honestly, I have no idea what this initiative will do to the market. I suspect that increased availability will continue to drive prices down. But on the flip side, there will be 10 to 12 times the number of commercial customers. Who knows what will happen. I'm pretty smart but have no fucking idea where this will go at the consumer or the commercial side of it. I'm just leaning towards supporting it because I think it will keep most people out of jail for growing their own pot at home.

"you know what would happen..."
I'm pretty sure some smarty pants growers would rent 10+ houses. Blow up pounders in the basements and sling 30 pounds every couple months under the table. While I am the ultimate supporter of free enterprise and free market, there is no way in hell that society, the police, the lawmakers, the tax man, or the neighbors will buy into that scene. It's always a few bad apples that will "blow up the scene" and fuck it up for everyone else.

So what would happen? Same thing that happened throughout history? Friends sell to friends and their friends in private?
While that's all cool with me, this is America. Shit gets taxed in America. Income gets taxed, Property gets taxed, and Sales get taxed. The same reason that you can't run any other commercial operation from your house would apply to Marijuana. If you give it away, who cares. When you take cash in, the system wants their cut. They don't care if you are selling weed, donuts, or hookers they want their cut.

What's so wrong there....other than cutting YOU AND THE STATE out?
I would continue to do just fine if this amendment fails. I didn't ask for the system that we have now. I was plenty content when we were just caregivers for 20+ patients. Life was much simpler then. I was forced by legislation to either boot patients to the curb or kick it up a couple notches in order to cover the additional overhead and expenses. Adapt to changes in environment...That's what some of us do.

C'mon...don't insult us all AGAIN with this crap shit story of how no one can find pot if you guys aren't there peddling it on Main street or how the existence of warehouse grows to (supposedly) stock retail outlets is something we need/needed in Colorado....or that none of THAT bud isn't hitting the street as we speak.
I never said or implied anything like that. It's your bias against the system speaking, not me. There has never been an issue for anybody to get marijuana from the black market. If somebody can't score a bag, they have a bigger problem than being out of weed. The market is big enough for everybody.. the black market, caregivers slinging their "extra", dispensaries, and individuals sharing their dispensary meds. It's all out there already.

...just wait until every tom-dick-harry can fire up without worry in their home....even if they stay small....and they WON'T...cus YOU didn't.... and think of what THAT will do to your demand/the need for you to even exist. (?)
The potential for people to do that exists even now without 64 passing. Some do it underground, some do it under the guise of caregiving, some do it legally... It's all out there already. I'm pretty sure the rules that follow passage of 64 would throttle back the explosion, but I am sure that many will attempt to get in and attempt to make a profit. Just like dispensaries.. there may be a bazillion that make a go of it. The herd has thinned by a significant margin at this point. Even with the moratorium lifting back in July, I don't see any new shops hitting the block. Just more closing down.

It will be interesting to see how LEO addresses home grow sizes. They won't be able to get a warrant based on smell anymore if it's legal to grow. Perhaps excessive electric consumption will trigger it with 12 hour cycles flagged by the digital power meters. Maybe they just wont care. Wouldn't that be nice.

Have you ever considered that this is the end of MMJ in CO...and may just very well be a way for the State to "cleanse" itself of 1284/the stoners who created the model and start all over with a new system/supply line of their choosing that just doesn't include...and may even exclude...those who licensed under 1284??
I think both MMJ and Consumer MJ would coexist. The difference in that Medical Marijuana will not have the surtax indicated in the amendment, but retail consumer will. Will the cost of the red card and Dr. visit be less than the tax savings ? Don't know.

I believe that there is language in 64 that gives priority to licensed centers because they have already gone through the process. How much will that restrict a bazillion people from opening shops? Probably not much I suppose, but that can be limited by local regulations.

I mean....why would anyone get a Med card if it passes? Why would they go to a "Center" if they can buy it a the liquor store? Why would the State want to have to regulate 2 programs that deal (literally) with MJ?
Q1=To save on the price via no surtax maybe.
Q2=They would have to go to a licensed MJ retail center. I couldn't be sold at a liquor store.
Q3=Governmental bloat.. they create as many jobs to pay themselves as much as they can. Personally I hope nobody buys red cards. I would love to strip the millions of dollars from the Health Department. You shouldn't have to buy a license, and they suck badly at their job.

I'd be far more worried about your gig than what folks might do in their own homes...none of which can be regulated or tracked....and all of which will affect you/your market share...just as you did to all patients after 1284 was passed and the rug was pulled from under all of our feet.
I'm not worried about my gig. I was looking for a job when I found this one. No jobs, means get off your ass and make your own job. That's what we did.

For the life of me I can't figure out why you are so bitter. You still grow. You can still take care of your patients. You can still make a buck or 2 on the side with "caregiver services". You are doing what you want. What rug was pulled from under the feet of the patients? They can still grow their own if they want. They can still have a private caregiver grow for them if they want. They can go to a dispensary to purchase their meds if they want. How did the patients get hurt here besides lower prices on meds?

Somehow we got off the amendment 64 discussion and turned this into the dispensaries fucked up the world thread.

Let's see if we can actually talk about some of the good or bad points of the actual amendment...

Voting for it or against it, and why?

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

Is 64 Sensible's initiative that they were throwing around last fall?
What is certain is that the legislature will write a 100+ page behemouth no matter what is written in the Ammendment. It is a step in the right direction and seemingly calculated to go far but not too far.
I supported it after much thought, a good chess move in the overall scheme of things.
Cali is going to pass it, Washington probably ($2M raised [npr]), Oregon[$1,000 raised officially [npr]] up in the air, and Colorado($1M raised [npr]) up in the air after all the people got pissed off by the influx. That is how I see it going down.
The Dick Lee 2010 measure lost 46-49 in Cali, a mid-term election. With the Obama vote I think it's a foregone conclusion.
Either way, this year the pro legalization is out raising the anti movements. It seems you can vote with money.

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

Honestly, I have no idea what this initiative will do to the market. I suspect that increased availability will continue to drive prices down. But on the flip side, there will be 10 to 12 times the number of commercial customers. Who knows what will happen. I'm pretty smart but have no fucking idea where this will go at the consumer or the commercial side of it. I'm just leaning towards supporting it because I think it will keep most people out of jail for growing their own pot at home.
Not your customers, though. Unless the Springs opens up the retail shops and you get one. Start greasing palms now.
The Amendment doesn't touch medical, your patients will still have to do the same dance to enter your store.
In fact this amendment might be the answer to 1284, can't see too many dispensaries staying in business when:
You can see a doctor, send your info into the state and get some good weed there...
Or.
You can not do that and buy some equal quality weed there.

Really be up to the retail to fall on their own sword. But I've seen it happen before:)

S

SoCoMMJ

Not your customers, though. Unless the Springs opens up the retail shops and you get one. Start greasing palms now.
The Amendment doesn't touch medical, your patients will still have to do the same dance to enter your store.
That's well understood.

The options will be to:
continue as medical with fewer patients
have 2 centers, one retail and one medical
Convert to retail and go with one store
Sell the whole mess and just give up and retire. The stress and 60 hour weeks of this shit it taking it's toll.
[I guess this is an option too ] go to jail

In fact this amendment might be the answer to 1284, can't see too many dispensaries staying in business when:
You can see a doctor, send your info into the state and get some good weed there...
Or.
You can not do that and buy some equal quality weed there.

Yeah, the only difference from what I can see is the difference in prices. Retail has a large surtax added in at the wholesale level where Medical does not.
The question is if the cost of doctors rec and state fee will be less in a year than the surtax.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Right now Im inbetween harvest and have to go 80 miles for what seems to be a decent price for average dispensary weed and regret it everytime and im an optimist or try to be but its hard when you go to back to back to back dispensarys with twenty jars of the damn near same the same shit wit different made up names and im going to say it right now IM DISSAPPOINTED in Colorado dispensary medicine straight up the underground or what i can make of it from this site smashes on Damn near all dispensaries man im serious ive spent way too much hard earned, mexican laboring money tradintional mexican too im from outdoor mexican stock AND damn proud of it, trying to find quality meds and time and time again strike out. I have my reasons for not going underground for my meds when my own arent ready. But shit im tired of getting taxed i mean after gas money and quality comprimised meds 25 an eighth even 20 is too much at this point snow boarding is expensive you know what i mean save me some room to have some fun shit....

I dont know whats better for someone like me really but give me the stress and 60 hours a week and the toll maybe i wont have to go some where else inbetween the regulated bullshit redcard grows....

P.s. Pay me no mind im just ranting and wondering do more of us really have to go to jail for growing what we love really arent most laws made in court on the way to jail....

S

SoCoMMJ

Right now Im in between harvest and have to go 80 miles

I can't figure out why you would have to go 80 miles. Sky says that friends quietly selling to friends is the driving force that will destroy commercial sales.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I havent met that right group of friends but cant wait till i do so i dont have to continue this endless search for a back up in case my perpetual is nt perpetual enough and im done searching at dispensaries I think ill try hydro shops next! If i had less trust issues and was more social im sure a mountain neighbor would help me out im just mostly to myself but that might change if i strike out at the hydroshops

Top Bottom