The hardest thing about growing in coco

• Thread starter Darth Fader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Darth Fader

Darth Fader

... is managing salt buildup.

Agree or disagree?

In fact, even knowing it, it has still bit me in the butt more times than I care to say. it's frankly embarrassing. I'm even thinking of just switching to hempys (perlite/vermiculite). Does anyone know if salt buildup is an issue in other mediums such as perlite, vermiculite, or even rockwool?

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I started in coco using organic bottled nutes (pura vida), with decent results, but could never get things 'right'. I hated having to regulate pH. So I would say the need to pH was the hardest thing about coco, ok maybe not hardest, but biggest pain in the ass. Since I've always been organic I've never measured PPMs (don't even own a pen) but I imagine that would be a pain in the ass too.

As I understand it salt build up can be easily managed with products like drip clean.

outwest

619ster

619ster

Try airpots. The roots are elevated so they never sit in runoff (unless of course you flood your drip pan). I used to get salt build up and lock outs with fabric pots, but never on my airpots. Switched to strictly airpots and haven't had a problem since. If not willing to fork out cash for a bunch of airpots, and weekly flush always seems to help (I hate flushing!).

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I'm currently running DTW w/ smartpots and using Drip Clean (most days). The top 2 inches are hydroton to help prevent excessive drying. The Drip Clean may help, but it surely doesn't prevent buildup. I make sure I feed enough for runoff, but apparently not enough. I began feeding every other day since the coco stayed moist enough. Then I saw some rust spots pop up on a few leaves and ran 250 ppm solution through. Runoff came out over 1400. Fuck!

The solution is obviously a disciplined approach to salt-buildup management. This might be regular, weekly or bi-weekly flushes, more run-off, or lower ec-level feeding. At a minimum I HAVE to remember to monitor runoff ec/ppms.

I've been doing this a while and still fuck it up. Hope this helps new coco growers.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I've been doing this a while and still fuck it up. Hope this helps new coco growers.

Makes me glad I'm not in coco anymore. I completely disregard ph, ppms, and runoff. No salt build, no lockouts, no worries. Plants stay green until flush.

Have you tried regular flushing with a microbe tea?

outwest

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
been in coco for a couple yrs now and as metioned above; dont let it dry out(seems like that helps salt build up and Drip clean for the win. dont forget to moniter the ec of ur runoff alteast every other feed, this helps u not let things build up . if the runoff is 20-30% hotter than what u put in, drop ur Ec by half and feed more often.

confu...

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Salt can buildup in any medium.
Get rid of the salts is an excellent solution. Go organic.

Drop clean: From my experience and also while sampling the results of others that have used drip clean. Drip clean will not fix the problem of salt buildup from overfeeding.
It can make the end results worse. Some growers think they have a "safety blanket" when using drip clean.
Thinking then can then overfeed the plants. Also in turn flush/water less than needed, to then end up with a inferior tasting/burning meds. No thank you.

So here is what I have learned works until you can visually see the cues to know when to feed how much and how often.

If your growing blind. Meaning not checking runoff or monitoring EC then you can get hosed by salt buildup.

Here is how I dial in the feeding of salts.
1. Monitor the runoff. (ec/ppm -before and after the feed and/or water is given to the plants)
2. Monitor the PH. (before and after the feed and/or water is given to the plants)
3. Monitor the plants for how much they are eating, drinking, and transpiring. Checking weight of pots and how fast the weight is diminishing, amount of water in dehumifier/ac, watching the color of the plants stems, leaves and closely monitoring how they are responding to the level of nuts you are giving them.
After doing 3 adjust 1 and 2 as needed.
Keep doing that until you get them into the zone of rapid growth.

For example:
When you are feeding to high of an EC then they can stop or slow down the rate of eating/drinking and also transpiring/using what they were given.
When this happens, you will see the runoff ec gradually rise or maybe the pots stay wet or maybe both are happening at the same time.

If not corrected then problems start to happen.

You cannot force a plant to take in more salts than you apply, therefore if not watched the salts will build up.
Each strain is different and also can very depending on the stage of growth. My always performing the 3 steps (monitoring the runoff) you can keep the plants in check.

At a minimum I HAVE to remember to monitor runoff ec/ppms.
Agreed, That sums it up imho.
Hope all is well Darth.

BCrocker

BCrocker

I have never had an issue.. Feed every other day in a 50/50 hydroton/coco mix... DripClean if I remember to use it.. Canna nutrients.

100 gallons of nutrient solution for 73 - #10 pots, "10 gallon pots"

deacon1503

deacon1503

I know it's time to increase feeding regularity when my runoff EC creeps up. Usually about week 2 in flower I have to increase from 2 times at 30 seconds (60 secs total) to 3 times at 25 seconds (75 secs total). Then again about week 6. Up to 30 secs 3 times. All per day.

I've always ran drip clean but never over fed just bc if it. I do push them hard now but they continually receive tea's and I see some added tolerance to a higher EC when I add Sea Green to the res. but damn that stuff foams...good thing for storch oil!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I know it's time to increase feeding regularity when my runoff EC creeps up. Usually about week 2 in flower I have to increase from 2 times at 30 seconds (60 secs total) to 3 times at 25 seconds (75 secs total). Then again about week 6. Up to 30 secs 3 times. All per day.

I've always ran drip clean but never over fed just bc if it. I do push them hard now but they continually receive tea's and I see some added tolerance to a higher EC when I add Sea Green to the res. but damn that stuff foams...good thing for storch oil!

Fish Hydrolysate will get rid of the foam.

outwest

420Gator

420Gator

damn guess I was lucky I fed heavily with every watering in coco, the plants did great and the bud was very tasty. I fed 1500ppm and Id use any ph under 6.2 so usually no adjusting at all

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
With 50/50 I don't check my runoff. I water with jacks 3-2-1 for 2-3 days. Then, I flush with plain water 2-3 days. Then a dose of tea. I water for 15-20 seconds every hour. They are in 12 gallon plastic totes..

They look awesome pretty much all the time these days.

I think the foam from sea green is yucca extract they put in as a "confidential" surfactant/wetting agent. Microbes don't foam things up in a matter of seconds.

Anyway I'm no pro, but that's my 2 cents. Stop babying your plants. Doing 2 straight days a week just water I am getting great results.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

u
Damn gnats!!!!!

Salts were never a problem unless you run GH 3part cool-aid

Tex

yep damn gnats, i never had em till i started running coco.

i have never had an issue with salt build up in coco, i only give 1-2 straight waterings over flower cycle, well except for the 14 day flush. i only do it when i'm being lazy and don't want to mix up nutes. maybe its the sea green.

Top Bottom