The leaves are getting really miniaturized and skinny and clawing. They're in week 4 of Auto help

• Thread starter bobbynomad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eledin

Eledin

Coir needs watering every day if not sometimes twice a day I can’t see how he can be overwatering
I’m not saying your wrong am asking tbh
No worries I dont take it as an offense hahaha but I already answered that in a previous post, let me quote myself
"If its coco it might be the case that they need once per day but the pots are big, I dont know... in my case even with coco I need to wait 2-3 days and the pots are 2 gallons only, but I live in a humid area. Did the problem start with maxigrow?"
So Im using coco in only 2 gallons and theyre moist for 2-3 days, if I were using 5 gallons or so it would take even longer, thats because I live in a humid area and theyre not outdoors. So yes, you can overwater with coco if you water every day in some ocasions.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
No worries I dont take it as an offense hahaha but I already answered that in a previous post, let me quote myself
"If its coco it might be the case that they need once per day but the pots are big, I dont know... in my case even with coco I need to wait 2-3 days and the pots are 2 gallons only, but I live in a humid area. Did the problem start with maxigrow?"
So Im using coco in only 2 gallons and theyre moist for 2-3 days, if I were using 5 gallons or so it would take even longer, thats because I live in a humid area and theyre not outdoors. So yes, you can overwater with coco if you water every day in some ocasions

Cool I missed that post somehow
Tbh I don’t use coir and my understanding of its limted so it’s good to learn new stuff , thanks

Eledin

Eledin

Cool I missed that post somehow
Tbh I don’t use coir and my understanding of its limted so it’s good to learn new stuff , thanks
It also depends on the quality of the coco, you will notice that coco bricks are way cheaper. Not only because you need to wash it but it also comes with a lot of coco dust, high quality coco is more porous allowing better aireation and drying quicker aswell. I personally like high porosity cocos from atami but biobizz is also nice and Im pretty sure fox farms has coco too we just dont have that brand in Spain.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
It also depends on the quality of the coco, you will notice that coco bricks are way cheaper. Not only because you need to wash it but it also comes with a lot of coco dust, high quality coco is more porous allowing better aireation and drying quicker aswell. I personally like high porosity cocos from atami but biobizz is also nice and Im pretty sure fox farms has coco too we just dont have that brand in Spain.
Yeah for sure that why I don’t use coir anymore
It got to much washing bricks in the bath 😆
Think you can buy better coir nowadays probably more expensive but when I tried it all that was around was bricks

bobbynomad

bobbynomad

They all of a sudden look very droopy. What's up with them?
PXL 20240421 032643477
PXL 20240421 032638487

Eledin

Eledin

Did you stop watering? If so, when? I still see that the coco is wet. Also again, do you monitor the temperature and humidity?

420autoflier

420autoflier

Ok I see hydroton on the top is it also mixed in with the the coco? Hopefully. Ever water to run off? Coco requires calmag. Check out the coco for cannabis site. Tons of good info. Frequent fertigation. I used to grow in coco and had some of the best crops ever. Just got tired if the messes. Was watering 5 gal pots
IMG 20240425 175447193
to runoff 6 times a day on a timer with a 12 gallon res and had an 8 hour dry back. Make sure your pot is on a riser and doesn't sit in it's runoff. Also coco is considered kind of a hydro system and ph should be 5.7 to 6.3. 6.3 max. Shoot for 5.8, 5.9. I did also mix in a few cups perlite each pot.

Lurpin

Lurpin

Normally with coco you water everyday. In a perfect world you want to water multiple times a day. The process of drying out makes the plants search for liquid. OP is probably over watering, but my suggestion would be to still water everyday just with a lot less water when he does. Gotta let them start to dry out before you water your coco again.

Eledin

Eledin

Im repeating myself here but you dont necessarily need to water every day with coco. Im using high porosity cocos from atami, maybe its because of that? Low quality coco is less porous, this one was expensive for coco too, I have not watered them for 5 days now and theyre still not asking me for water. Im not making this up I swear hahaha. I live close to a big river in between the mountains where the humidity is high, maybe is because of that and the type of coco? Theyre perfectly fine with me watering them every 3-4 days, Im just trying to see how long they can go without water at this point.

jdog22

jdog22

Im repeating myself here but you dont necessarily need to water every day with coco. Im using high porosity cocos from atami, maybe its because of that? Low quality coco is less porous, this one was expensive for coco too, I have not watered them for 5 days now and theyre still not asking me for water. Im not making this up I swear hahaha. I live close to a big river in between the mountains where the humidity is high, maybe is because of that and the type of coco? Theyre perfectly fine with me watering them every 3-4 days, Im just trying to see how long they can go without water at this point.
i second this, i water every 3 days at the moment with the roots getting bigger the time becoming less.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Im repeating myself here but you dont necessarily need to water every day with coco. Im using high porosity cocos from atami, maybe it’s because of that? Low quality coco is less porous, this one was expensive for coco too, I have not watered them for 5 days now and theyre still not asking me for water. Im not making this up I swear hahaha. I live close to a big river in between the mountains where the humidity is high, maybe is because of that and the type of coco? Theyre perfectly fine with me watering them every 3-4 days, Im just trying to see how long they can go without water at this point.
Maybe the coir is better quality as every other coir grow I know of needs water every day if not sometimes twice

420autoflier

420autoflier

Canna coco is the best imo. The root zone ph rises the longer you let the pot sit without fertigation. Sounds like drainage issue or temp is low in your space. Let them temp rise a bit. 78 or so.

Eledin

Eledin

Must be that, the kind of coco I use, I never used any other coco for hydro because is the first time Im using coco for hydro. Ive been using it forever with my peat but thats a whole other thing, not hydro. I use biobizz coco to mix with my peat but I used bricks in the past and when its dry it has a lot of coco dust unlike better quality coco. Canna coco is very good too and is not cheap nor bad coco. I think its just that, that the coco Im using is a bit different and thats why they specify theyre high porosity.

Eledin

Eledin

Oh Im an idiot, Im not using high porosity cocos from atami, I ended up changing it for washed & buffered cocos from atami, I just went to the little grow where I have the coco and saw the bag, it was a last minute change of opinion when I bought it. They come buffered with nutes for the first week, not much, EC is 0,3. Less than a light soil with peat which usually has nutes for the first 3 weeks and has EC of around 1. But I bet they use their high porous cocos instead of the regular ones for this one too because otherwise you cant buffer coco afaik.
EDIT: Its day 6 without watering and now a couple one of them are starting to have a couple of droopy leaves. Gonna water now. Ill keep watering as usual every 3-4 days now I just wanted to see for the sake of science how much they would last without asking for water. Humidity in the village where I live is currently at 90%... so yeah... I think that explains a bit. Usually is around 70% when it doesnt rain, which is still high.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom